Best winter jackets for SA

T-Bob

I'm a little bit of a princess when it comes to winter. I much prefer it to summer riding though but still. I get cold really easy. 

For example on Saturday I was riding with two long sleeve tops and I was just about comfy in 19 degree weather. 

So for this coming winter (I suspect a slightly cold one) I was thinking of adding https://gravelandtour.co.za/product/core-merino-mens-waterproof-soft-shell-jacket/

Has anyone used this before? It will be on and off the bike though. 

Gauteng is a dry cold though so I have no idea what to get.

This jacket looks very nice. probably more on the bike than off. Look slike one of those nice Castelli ones, but not with a similar price.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This jacket looks very nice. probably more on the bike than off. Look slike one of those nice Castelli ones, but not with a similar price.

I like the idea of Merino wool. It definitely works where needed. Also don't want something too warm for on the bike... 

Looks like a case of ordering and returning if I'm not happy. Sadly all the cool companies are in CT so trying things on is a pain. 

Does anyone know where Gravel & Tour is based though? I can't find them.

19°C is short sleeve weather #justsaying

For the days when the temperature starts off at (above) 7-12°C and gets up to mid-teens I prefer to wear thermal sleeves (Anatomic work for me), with a vest, shirt and gilet. Long finger gloves for the start and then I remove them if it gets toasty.

If it’s 7-14°C for most of the morning, I use a combination of thermal sleeves and a long shirt with long finger gloves.

Below 7°C I have a jacket from Bicycleline that is good enough for -5°C and warmer. Then I’ll usually wear thermal leggings too.

I see where you got your name from... :D

I have used a combination of an inner vest, a Vye winter jacket and a sportful windbreaker to cycle in low single digit joburg weather

The sportful jacket in particular is very versatile as it can be used in summer (light rains) over a cycling jersey for early morning/autumn rides or to add extra warmth when really cold. It also packs away very easily so can be packed away once you warm up

For me the struggle has been with gloves as my fingers dont warm up and i end up with really thick winter gloves with little feel...

https://vyecyclekit.cc/collections/cycle-shirts/products/hurricane-thermo-black

sportful.com/lu/hot-pack-norain-jacket/p/112002521P

I see where you got your name from... :D

Frosty = cold ale

Anyone who was a Scout might remember JOTA (Jamboree over the Air). In the late 90s it morphed into JOTI (internet). I had to choose a nickname for the internet chat, and had a cold beer in my hand. That’s how Frosty came about; I’ve stuck with it ever since.

19°C is short sleeve weather #justsaying

For the days when the temperature starts off at (above) 7-12°C and gets up to mid-teens I prefer to wear thermal sleeves (Anatomic work for me), with a vest, shirt and gilet. Long finger gloves for the start and then I remove them if it gets toasty.

If it’s 7-14°C for most of the morning, I use a combination of thermal sleeves and a long shirt with long finger gloves.

Below 7°C I have a jacket from Bicycleline that is good enough for -5°C and warmer. Then I’ll usually wear thermal leggings too.

Bought 3x Bicycle Line jackets last year when Covid rules forced me to ride in the early morning.  Sub zero rated and I believe great value for money.  The best feature was that they were in bright colours - which is the safest option when the risk of being killed is probably the highest.

I'm a little bit of a princess when it comes to winter. I much prefer it to summer riding though but still. I get cold really easy. 

For example on Saturday I was riding with two long sleeve tops and I was just about comfy in 19 degree weather. 

So for this coming winter (I suspect a slightly cold one) I was thinking of adding https://gravelandtour.co.za/product/core-merino-mens-waterproof-soft-shell-jacket/

Has anyone used this before? It will be on and off the bike though. 

Gauteng is a dry cold though so I have no idea what to get.

If you want to go SUPER warm in the depth of winter..........this is the piece of clothing you want.

https://www.castelli.co.za/collections/winter-mens/products/castelli-alpha-ros-2-jacket-dark-gray

I have a ten year old Assos Airblock 851 jacket. All i wear underneath is long sleeve base layer top and its good for -2.  :thumbup: