Training programs - are they really worth it?

... At my annual yardstick ->I had a terrible Sabie this year (I drop nearly 100 places) and that was without any mechanicals. My Tri times have improved but not by much. Actually it might have even stayed the same....

Maybe roughly 100 okes changed to 29ers?

I need a trainer for 2 years-Goal I want to be SA Champ when I turn 50 in Road,MTB,Track and Road Time Trial.Any trainer that want to help me.Please send me your quotation.

I need a trainer for 2 years-Goal I want to be SA Champ when I turn 50 in Road,MTB,Track and Road Time Trial.Any trainer that want to help me.Please send me your quotation.

Hallo Pieterg. I believe we have had previous coms - you can contact me on pierre.xcosa@gmail.com should you be interested. I share your age cat.

i looked at using a programme for sani training - saw how much they cost and decided I could rather just get on my bike and do it myself - didnt follow any programme whatsoever except for the "time on the saddle" programme, and when push came to shove....there was no pushing or shoving or walking or cramping

The real issue start creeping in when you want to perform at your personal best, or when you want to enhance your enjoyment without un-due pain ...

Structuring any training is important. I've never paid for programs, went to a couple of workshops, did self study. got my health issues sorted, now I can probably improve. All you basically do is look at your weakness, eg , is your climbing good, not, work on climbing. Monitor it... don't overdo it, and ... voila. if you want to reach Sa's , pro, you may need to get professional help though.

IMHO mostly results from training programs (bought or 'found' in books/sites) don't produce results when not followed almost 'religously' as previous posters have mentioned.

I guess if you have followed them in that manner and get no results then perhaps the coach is not doing a good job or the program you found is not the right one? Time to move on perhaps .....

I am also confused about training programs...........i had one for the DC in 2010 but did not stick to it religiously because of time constraints and we as a team did much longer rides over the weekends.........did 3 to 4 days off the program and cycled with the team over weekends.....did i notice any differences , i really don't know. The program was based on Heart Rate and boy i was stuffed after each session. What i noticed doing a hard session takes nearly just as long to do say 30km as when i went out cycling/training without the program...

What most training programmes assist by adding quality instead of quantity - don't get me wrong - quantity is important sometimes but too many people ignore the quality.

With a few hours and google most people will be able to develop their own training programmes.

Alternatively - buy a programme and after a few months on it you should be able to develop your own.

Some people do need "instructions" though and like to have some form of guidance.

Ultimately adding any quality to your training will make you a better rider.

@Eldron - I wonder if some may be motivated by the 'check in' or report your stats to someone that a coach may want?

Mini hi-jack:

I'm no pro on the bike, but spend quite a lot of time in the gym. It's obvious from that personal trainer Frikkie/Karel/Jan-Hendrik with the boep and the ear bud arms in Virgin Active are no experts in weight training, yet they create programs for gym-newbies at R150 per session!

THey have generic programs from the google machine that they use for these poor okes! Shame...

I say you get what you pay for. If you're gonna do it, do it right! Make sure the trainer knows his isht and if you feel you're not getting enough personal attention- move on!

Also, a profession trainer WANTS YOU to achieve- then he will look good. Frikkie WANTS MONEY.

Met a cycling enthusiast that assited me with a program. He does it for the love of the sport (only R100 per month) and it surely helped me quite a bit. I could see the change within a month. For the first time I realised its all about quality and not quantity. But I would NOT pay R2400. I am definitely not planning on becomming a world champ.

Did the OP intend to ambush market here by starting this thread?

If so, uncool.

:whistling:

No ambush intended - it is a mere effort to determine the average perception of and about coaching vs training programs.

That was his/her exact intention.

About the 3rd thread started today with the same objective.

Sounds like somebody is desperate.

You're right, desperate to rectify the idea some has on coaching! You see, coaching aimed at improving performance is a sequential process based on goal and current condition, and only a program does not address that ...

Ensure you do the right things in the right order - that is what you coach should advise you on. We call that optimization ...