Cape Town Cycle Lane

MTBeer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use both the lane and ride on the road for some of the sections. I know of a group of chaps that had an ugly collision with one of the concrete posts that took out a super decent frame whilst trying to do some interval training. Might be some of this crew that now stick to the road to avoid all these additional obstacles when doing high speed group training. The cycle lane works awesome for the non specific training ride or commuting, but I find that when you try and keep your speed over 40kmh the irregularity of the surface pounds your ass worse than rutted jeep track.

Many of you say puncture schmuncture, but when I first used the lane I got more punctures in 1 week than I had over the previous 5 years of commuting to and from town.

As someone has already said and all things considered I don't understand why anyone would avoid using the lane between Steven Johnson Cars and the Sunset Beach turnoff, as the road has no verge whatsoever along this stretch.

Edited by Tubehunter

It also sucks that our local traffic cops and their moustaches use the cycle lanes to put up their speed cameras... seen this several times...

edit: typo

Edited by MariusL

Apart from the section between milnerton to the bidvest building(i usually use the road because of the stop go along the cycle track) i use it from milnerton to tableview and to town. Have had 2 punctures in about 60 outings so not that bad. What i have noticed however is that the cycle track is not being maintained properly lately with plant growth over the path, lots of tar being brocken up between N1 bridge and town.

Guest ctMTBer

Punctures..not valid..intersections..you should slow down anyway, and it is not a race. It is about being out there on your bike, being safe, not being stressed or the cause of someone else's stress and just enjoying it. But each to their own, you wanna be the guy riding on the shoulder or in the road while there is a cycle lane so be it.. Just defies my logic.

Punctures, you get way more on the cycle lane than on the road!

Actually this is a load of hogwash. I use the cycle lane in front of hartleyvale stadium which runs runs all the way thru' to claremont. In front of hartleyvale is a cycle lane and a pedestrian lane, yet you will always see some cyclist in fact a majority of them still using the road, and even better they ride 2 or 3 abreast. Whats up with that???

Maybe it's just me, but that brickpaving rattles my fillings loose on the road bike. Same with the path in Seapoint.

When I ride Greenpoint to Observatory, I find taking the road is faster than the cycle track. Don't know why. It's certainly more interesting.

i train at 5 in the morning - riding at between 35 - 40kph - from Edgemead to P Eiland to Big Bay & then back to Edgemead. a lot of the route is on roads with no paths available. i (we) just stay on the road and take our chance with what little traffic is about at that time of the morning. and yes we have had the odd motorist hooting at us (we've been training like this for the last 2.5 years throughout the year) but we are well lit up front and back.

for commuting the path is fine.

Edited by ccc2

I train on the path most friday arvos with 2 others doing loops from Eden to P Eiland and back for beers. Never had a puncture, do sprint training between the lamp posts, never felt it to be a rough ride, never had a hassle with cars and never hit a concrete post. I can understand if there is a group of more than 8 or so it's a hack.

I love the fact its there for fast flat work, spinning the legs before hitting the chappies run and just because it's a great initiative. Use it don't use it but I can't understand not riding it to be honest. Everyone whinges about things going backwards and that is a simple and massive plus to Cape Town.

I train on the path most friday arvos with 2 others doing loops from Eden to P Eiland and back for beers. Never had a puncture, do sprint training between the lamp posts, never felt it to be a rough ride, never had a hassle with cars and never hit a concrete post. I can understand if there is a group of more than 8 or so it's a hack.

I love the fact its there for fast flat work, spinning the legs before hitting the chappies run and just because it's a great initiative. Use it don't use it but I can't understand not riding it to be honest. Everyone whinges about things going backwards and that is a simple and massive plus to Cape Town.

i agree, use it , don't use it. the club i belong to uses it if we are going thru to CT to bypass the h'way. in the mornings we have a group of 10+ and it's basically head down and flat out all the way from P eiland to B bay. for me, i have seen a significant increase in people riding bikes especially families with young children. and in this day and age with kids stuck in front of tv and pc s , the more the children are exposed to the outdoors the better.

Perhaps slightly off topic, but with all the construction and pathways being upgraded in Melkbos, does anyone know if there is a cycle lane from Melkbos to Blouberg (on the coastal road) on the cards?

Edited by Pronutro

Perhaps slightly off topic, but with all the construction and pathways being upgraded in Melkbos, does anyone know if there is a cycle lane from Melkbos to Blouberg (on the coastal road) on the cards?

Also eyeing that with lots of interest!

I notice there are quite a few chops who ride on the road instead of the cycle lane in the mornings(and other times). Anyone want to explain why?

Because they are a bunch of

http://www.lowbudgetprosper.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/cardboard-boxes.jpg

I have been riding this route for over 9 years and since the cycle lanes being built and used I no longer hear about cyclists being killed on this stretch of road anymore. This used to be a very unfortunate and regular occurance.

Use the lanes.

.... I no longer hear about cyclists being killed on this stretch of road anymore. This used to be a very unfortunate and regular occurance.

Use the lanes.

Sums it up