Cadence Nutrition

Hi Hubbers,

Just to give some clarity to the comments above:

Although most of our revenue was generated through Dischem, it was our strategic decision to no longer sell product through them. The shelf space provided to our brand was extremely limited and their staff are incentivised to sell our opposition's brands. The floor staff also lack any experience in endurance nutrition and could not advise appropriately regarding the scientific virtues of our product range.

Selling through Dischem also alienated the cycle retailers who cannot compete with Dischem on price and we are primarily a cycling brand.

Distribution through Omnico has already been excellent and their new B2B distribution system is highly regarded with respect to ease of ordering and competence in terms delivery times and reliability. Any negative sentiments are based on past systems that have been resolved.

We look forward to launching some great new products in the coming weeks to months:

Protein Fuel - An all natural whey protein in dark chocolate flavor. 

Natural Citrus Marathon - Our Marathon product in 100% natural version with a very subtle citrus taste (for those who want a low level of sweetness)

Natural Citrus CarboFuel - As above

Single serving sachets of Marathon

Energy Bars (by year end)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on this forum.

Looking forward to the Natural Citrus Carbofuel.

I have a question regarding the mixing of the different products. I currently use the Carbofuel for training , as well as racing. Most races are 3 hours or less, but in longer events and stage races, is it a good idea to use the Marathon product just for those events, or should one stick to what you train with?

Can or should you mix Carbofuel and Marathon in an event? ( as in one bottle of each)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Benjamin,

You can use Marathon for longer events and train using CarboFuel. The carbohydrate composition in both products is the same 2:1 ratio and they have similar electrolyte concentrations as well.

The primary difference is the additional protein in Marathon.

You can even mix products. A good strategy is to start with Marathon early on in events and then switch to CarboFuel in the second half of the event when you are closer to your limit.

As you fatigue you will produce more epinephrine to try to mobilize fuel resources and you will divert more blood away from your GIT. Using a more readily absorbable solution such as CarboFuel will place less stress on the GIT and maximize carbohydrate delivery when you need it most.

Regards,

Jeroen

Jeroen,

Is other forms of nutrition advise able with your suggested use made above for endurance racing?

If so, what, how much and how often is recommended?

Thanx for considering!

Edited by ' Dale

I've been using Cadence Classic Energy for about a year now. I love the product. Moved over from 32Gi and the difference was palpable. I also use Classic Recovery.

Can't wait for Marathon to be available in smaller servings. For most days I find classic energy to be sufficient but every now and again there is a long day on the cards for which Marathon would be more beneficial.

Hi Jeroen

When going through the ingredient list for Classic and Marathon products, noticed that colourant and flavorants are not specified and that both products use a blend of non nutrative sweeteners, sucrlose and acesulfame-K. 

Why are the colourants and flavourants not specified? and when designing a product for endurance athletes, why use non nutritive sweetners when this adds no value to the performance of the product and is effectively adding additional chemicals into the body?

Thanks

Very good point! I'm no fan of acesulfame-K is this is one of the main reasons I'm thinking about changing products!

Hi Jeroen

When going through the ingredient list for Classic and Marathon products, noticed that colourant and flavorants are not specified and that both products use a blend of non nutrative sweeteners, sucrlose and acesulfame-K. 

Why are the colourants and flavourants not specified? and when designing a product for endurance athletes, why use non nutritive sweetners when this adds no value to the performance of the product and is effectively adding additional chemicals into the body?

Thanks

Hi Jeroen

Thanks

A very good point. What are the flavourants and colourants in these products?

Hi Jeroen

Thanks

I too would like to know this!

To achieve a good flavour using natural flavouring and sweetener is very challenging.

Although there is no definitive evidence that artificial flavours are in any way harmful, we are working hard to bring 100% natural versions of all of our products to market.

The first of these will be available in a few weeks in the form of:

Natural citrus Marathon

Natural citrus CarboFuel

Protein Fuel

Let us know what you think of the taste. We have spent over a year refining these flavours.

To achieve a good flavour using natural flavouring and sweetener is very challenging.

Although there is no definitive evidence that artificial flavours are in any way harmful, we are working hard to bring 100% natural versions of all of our products to market.

The first of these will be available in a few weeks in the form of:

Natural citrus Marathon

Natural citrus CarboFuel

Protein Fuel

Let us know what you think of the taste. We have spent over a year refining these flavours.

This is great news!

According to many a article, artificial sweeteners are far from good for ones health.

I'll be first inline to buy any product without them.

Hi Jeroen

I have a question regarding the cadence range. I have been using it for over a year now and I think the range is amazing. The only problem is I don't know what whole food or bars to eat with the products. If I am racing I will have the classic energy or marathon with your gels, but I don't know what esle to eat with it. I see you are launching a bar later in the year, but could you make some suggestions on what to use in the mean time?

Thanks

Hi Jeroen

I have a question regarding the cadence range. I have been using it for over a year now and I think the range is amazing. The only problem is I don't know what whole food or bars to eat with the products. If I am racing I will have the classic energy or marathon with your gels, but I don't know what esle to eat with it. I see you are launching a bar later in the year, but could you make some suggestions on what to use in the mean time?

Thanks

You probably need to add to this post how long you are racing for... Around 3 hours and below you should be able to get by on only gels and carb drink.

Eating an energy bar is a good way to relieve any feeling of hunger that may still occur after drinking fluids or gels. However, most bars are not formulated to provide carbohydrates and electrolytes in concentrations that are optimal.

They should therefore be used in training and very prolonged races to satisfy hunger but not specifically as a performance aid.

Hi Jeroen

Recently, there was a thread here on the hub about using raw honey and espresso as on-bike nutrition. I have tried it in the past week on 2 rides, with success, but both rides were a tad less than 3 hours. Do you think I would have bonked if the rides were longer?

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether this mix would be appropriate for a non competitive weekend warrior, who is just out there for the fun of it and fitness.

Nb : I am not taking a swipe at your product - I am sure its all that that its reputed to be; I'm just interested to hear from you as a sports scientist as to whether you think its do-able to do longer rides (say between 4 to 5 hours) and races on honey & coffee (hydrating with water) if one's goal is basically just to have fun, and finish in a reasonable time.

Many thanks

Harry