Cadence Nutrition

Hi Harry

It's perfectly possible to do a prolonged endurance ride on nothing at all. Never mind honey and caffeine.

You just have to go slow enough to allow fats and proteins to be converted into glucose by the liver and for fats to be oxidised as a fuel source.

Honey's carb composition is approximately 50/50 fructose and glucose. This isn't a poor choice in terms of the rate of absorption of these carbohydrates. The ideal is 33/66 but with the glucose in the form of maltodextrin.

The addition of caffeine is also ergogenic. Caffeine is the most potent legal ergogenic aid.

The problem with honey is that it is very concentrated. Both due to the inherent low water content and because the carbs are all monosaccharides (single unit sugars). As a result it is hyperosmolar and will result in fluid moving from blood and tissues into the GIT during the digestive process. It will also result in slower gastric emptying rate (movement from the stomach to the small intestine), slowing the absorption of the otherwise good carb composition.

So in short. If you are happy to cruise, then there is nothing wrong with that strategy. For race day stick to a more appropriate and successful formulation.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Harry

It's perfectly possible to do a prolonged endurance ride on nothing at all. Never mind honey and caffeine.

You just have to go slow enough to allow fats and proteins to be converted into glucose by the liver and for fats to be oxidised as a fuel source.

Honey's carb composition is approximately 50/50 fructose and glucose. This isn't a poor choice in terms of the rate of absorption of these carbohydrates. The ideal is 33/66 but with the glucose in the form of maltodextrin.

The addition of caffeine is also ergogenic. Caffeine is the most potent legal ergogenic aid.

The problem with honey is that it is very concentrated. Both due to the inherent low water content and because the carbs are all monosaccharides (single unit sugars). As a result it is hyperosmolar and will result in fluid moving from blood and tissues into the GIT during the digestive process. It will also result in slower gastric emptying rate (movement from the stomach to the small intestine), slowing the absorption of the otherwise good carb composition.

So in short. If you are happy to cruise, then there is nothing wrong with that strategy. For race day stick to a more appropriate and successful formulation.

Many thanks for the detailed explanation, much appreciated!

Where should i be able to pick up some cadence products? 

I'm thinking of using Classic energy or Marathon, a bit undecided. 

Hi Hubbers,

Just to give some clarity to the comments above:

Although most of our revenue was generated through Dischem, it was our strategic decision to no longer sell product through them. The shelf space provided to our brand was extremely limited and their staff are incentivised to sell our opposition's brands. The floor staff also lack any experience in endurance nutrition and could not advise appropriately regarding the scientific virtues of our product range.

Selling through Dischem also alienated the cycle retailers who cannot compete with Dischem on price and we are primarily a cycling brand.

Distribution through Omnico has already been excellent and their new B2B distribution system is highly regarded with respect to ease of ordering and competence in terms delivery times and reliability. Any negative sentiments are based on past systems that have been resolved.

We look forward to launching some great new products in the coming weeks to months:

Protein Fuel - An all natural whey protein in dark chocolate flavor. 

Natural Citrus Marathon - Our Marathon product in 100% natural version with a very subtle citrus taste (for those who want a low level of sweetness)

Natural Citrus CarboFuel - As above

Single serving sachets of Marathon

Energy Bars (by year end)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on this forum.

I mentioned previously that taking the distribution of this product to Omnico wasn't, in my opinion, an optimal decision. Well, true to nature, half the stuff is not available and now its a mad dash to get hold of product, whereas previously I just popped into my local Dischem. Ai tog!!

To achieve a good flavour using natural flavouring and sweetener is very challenging.

Although there is no definitive evidence that artificial flavours are in any way harmful, we are working hard to bring 100% natural versions of all of our products to market.

The first of these will be available in a few weeks in the form of:

Natural citrus Marathon

Natural citrus CarboFuel

Protein Fuel

Let us know what you think of the taste. We have spent over a year refining these flavours.

It is fantastic to hear that you intend using natural products going forward. For now please advise what products you are currently using for flavor and colorants in your Marathon product.

• 2 weeks later...

We look forward to launching some great new products in the coming weeks to months:

Natural Citrus Marathon - Our Marathon product in 100% natural version with a very subtle citrus taste (for those who want a low level of sweetness)

Natural Citrus CarboFuel - As above

Single serving sachets of Marathon

Hi Jeroen,

Any news on the Natural Citrus flavours? Are they available yet?

Thanks

Duncan

I mentioned previously that taking the distribution of this product to Omnico wasn't, in my opinion, an optimal decision. Well, true to nature, half the stuff is not available and now its a mad dash to get hold of product, whereas previously I just popped into my local Dischem. Ai tog!!

My local Dischem (JHB/Clearwater) had stock yesterday. Not sure if they are just selling out existing stock which will eventually run out?

I can understand that the staff weren't able to properly advise on the product but then again I'd probably never trust the Dischem staff in the supplement aisle to advise on anything to be honest.

As soon as I get paid, I'll get me some of this. Are there sachets in the meantime for the Tonner?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been using and Cadence carbofuel for about 6 months now and I switched from 1st using 32GI race then moved to Biogen blah blah and I wasnt happy with both of them then I tried out the carbofuel and it worked from my 1st ride.

I can def feel a difference on race day with sustained energy and no cramps at all. I am just finishing my tub of Evox recovery (yuck flavour) then I will be switching to the Cadence revive.

I now swear by Cadence products and i have slowly got all my buddies to switch to Cadence products.

I buy mine from Chris willemse cycles

I've used the Classic Energy and was very happy with it, although I found it far too sweet when mixed as directed. There was a lightly / unflavoured range planned if I'm not mistaken, wonder what the progress on that is?

Hi Rawbone,

We are currently overhauling the entire range to reduce sweetness and make everything more palatable during hot conditions.

In addition, every one of our products is being relaunched in 100% natural versions. Same performance but without any artificial flavour, colour, sweetener or preservative.

The following products are available already as per above ethos (you can identify them as they have a little green bar at the bottom of the label):

Marathon - Natural Citrus

Marathon - Passion Fruit (just arrived)

Carbofuel - Natural Citrus

Carbofuel - Red Berry

Protein Fuel - Dark Chocolate

Classic Energy Gel - (doesn't have the green bar on the label but has been 100% natural from day 1 of launch)

Coming soon:

Marathon Natural Citrus single serving sachets (90g - 750ml)

Revive in natural versions of chocolate and vanilla (taste is even better than current versions. I know…its hard to believe).

CarboFuel Energy Bar - Cranberry (coming mid March)

Hi Rawbone,

We are currently overhauling the entire range to reduce sweetness and make everything more palatable during hot conditions.

In addition, every one of our products is being relaunched in 100% natural versions. Same performance but without any artificial flavour, colour, sweetener or preservative.

The following products are available already as per above ethos (you can identify them as they have a little green bar at the bottom of the label):

Marathon - Natural Citrus

Marathon - Passion Fruit (just arrived)

Carbofuel - Natural Citrus

Carbofuel - Red Berry

Protein Fuel - Dark Chocolate

Classic Energy Gel - (doesn't have the green bar on the label but has been 100% natural from day 1 of launch)

Coming soon:

Marathon Natural Citrus single serving sachets (90g - 750ml)

Revive in natural versions of chocolate and vanilla (taste is even better than current versions. I know…its hard to believe).

CarboFuel Energy Bar - Cranberry (coming mid March)

Is the list per the cadencenutrition website of stockists correct?

Edited by MK Killer

We need to update the list. There are many new stores stocking. Feel free to contact us via the website and we will direct you to your closest LBS that has stock.