Tire wont seal.

Neg

Ive done the tubeless conversion on my Giant PX-2 rims. i bought rim tape and Stan's valves and sealant. the rear tire seems to be holding out fine. i am using non-tubeless tires (rocket rons that came with the bike) but its not leaking at the bead.... it is leaking at the valve...... not matter what i have tried, it just keeps leaking... the air is escaping from under the collar that screws onto the valve to keep it in place. ive tried various different levels of tightening to get that rubber seal on the valve to close as tight as possible and them ive tried just finger tight.... i then pump it up to about 3.5bar and it seals... i run the tired under water to test for leaks, nothing.... but.... after say 5hours i can feel the pressure is lower than he pumped pressure... i pumped it up to 3.5bar at 10:30pm last night, checked with water, no leaks... this morning at 7:30am, flat flat.... what i did notice is that it took about three pumps and the tire was inflating already.... over the weekend it would take about 20 very fast pumps to get it "seated" but the air was still leaking at the valve...... as i pump harder it slows down to virtually non detectable! but its still leaking! :(

WOW... long winded there... sorry...

the Question.... HOW do i get the valve to seal?

i noticed that the rims comes with like a green strip of tape, to protect the tube from the holes i guess, must this be removed and new "tubeless" tape put over the holes? because i noticed that this tape was off center to the valve hole. i straightened this and tried again.... Still no luck.....

any ideas??

Edited by Neg

I had some problems with the tape on my giant rims on my anthem ad well. Finally got them to seal but once I got a bad cut snd had to insert u tube the conversion had to be done over . I then switched to Bontrager rim strips. My tyres seat without sealant. I only add sealant for sake of punctures. I have had a number of punctures since the conversion and all sealed by themselves. I am now running lower pressure on each race and currently 1.6 bar.

Only advice i can give you is to go and buy a new valve at ur LBS, the Mavic Tubeless valves are very good, iv never had a problem with it!

When pumping ur tire up, use a bomb or a compressor so that ur wheels can seed properly and secure a good non leaking seal!

If u have no compressor at home, pop to the fuel station and use their pumps, just have a AV/FV adapter with you!

Goodluck

i noticed that the rims comes with like a green strip of tape, to protect the tube from the holes i guess, must this be removed and new "tubeless" tape put over the holes? because i noticed that this tape was off center to the valve hole. i straightened this and tried again.... Still no luck.....

any ideas??

Yes you must remove the old rim tape!!!!!! The whole idea is that the stans tape sticks to the rim and seal off all the spoke holes to prevent air from escaping through the spoke holes. Yes the valve is normally the biggest problem to seal. Best way I found was to stick the tape right across the valve hole and then take a stanley knife and just cut a X neatly into the valve hole and then push the valve through. Also remeber to put the start stop and overlap of the tape opposite to where the valve hole is.

Edited by FeO

any ideas??

I think this is your problem. Not sure what those green strips are but I would replace with something like Stans rim tape and try again. I'm not sure rim tape with a cut out hole will work well at all. You push the valve through a small incision in the Stans tape so that there is a snug fit.

Edited by slick

So ive just checked my rear tire, still at 2.5bar where i left it on sat morning, so that one is sealing well. even with the green tape still in place. ??

i noticed that on both the wheels, the green tape has a pre-cut hole larger than the actual hole in the rim. when i pulled the new rim tape- American classic UST tape, over rim i made sure it was even and smooth. i then took a compass needle point and poked a tiny hole through the new rim tape and pushed the valve through slowly and carefully. the hole through the tape only went as big as the valve stem and when i seated it it looked perfect!! everything was tight and neat! when i did the pumping up, still leaked! ive done this 3 time now on the front. the rear sealed first go! and two other wheels i did on Friday are still sealed and holding pressure... just a bum valve????

i will get some more rim tape and take the green tape off. and try again.

dont try too hard, i had the same issue, until the rim blew up in my face, where the weld is on the rim, it split there trying to pump them up to get the tyres to seat, and BANG! a zing in my ears for about 5mins and now i have to toss the rim! Was using Kenda Nevegals Tubeless Ready Tyres, on DT Swiss 450SL Wheels.....

Every now and the I got the same when I used rim tape. Used to "drown it out" with sealant. Then switched to No Tubes rim liner. The valve is built in! It takes 2 minutes to install and I seat even Makro bikes and their lucky packet tyres!

Every now and the I got the same when I used rim tape. Used to "drown it out" with sealant. Then switched to No Tubes rim liner. The valve is built in! It takes 2 minutes to install and I seat even Makro bikes and their lucky packet tyres!

I've used them before had no issues, first time i'm using the valve and rim tape, and read that those who use them prefer the rim tape and valve, they are slightly cheaper too....

make a hole in a road tube patch. pull the valve through it, now fit the valve.

no more problems

Try the Stan's rim strip. It's a rubber strap that fits tightly round the rim, comes with the valve stem pre-attached

Looks like this. It works very well - better than the plain tapepost-26128-0-79169500-1338121204.jpg

You need to put in more sealant. I had the same s hi t with mine, and It carried on until I took it to Concept Cyclery in Waterfall and the boys pointed out the error in my ways. Tyre never goes flat now and I'm a happy camper

Edited by King_Crispy

make a hole in a road tube patch. pull the valve through it, now fit the valve.

no more problems

BlooHubs! will give that a try! i did a 20km ride this afternoon and they held out! will check in the morning. :)

You need to put in more sealant. I had the same s hi t with mine, and It carried on until I took it to Concept Cyclery in Waterfall and the boys pointed out the error in my ways. Tyre never goes flat now and I'm a happy camper

i have about 120ml in each tire, they are 29" ? is this too little??

Might be something as simple as needing to shake the sealant bottle before you use it, especially with Stans. Most of the active ingredient settles at the bottom and you need to shake to get it to work properly. Had some problems a while ago with an almost empty bottle of Stans sealant :)

Hi there NEG

It sounds like its leaking between the valve and the tape.

Re tape your rim.

Then, take a drill, and a wood bit (I think a 6mm is the one), and on a SLOW speed, "cut) a new hole in the tape for the valve.

That should do the trick.

I see I didn't read the OP 100%. Sorry.

But my post more or less agrees with this:

Hi there NEG

It sounds like its leaking between the valve and the tape.

Re tape your rim.

Then, take a drill, and a wood bit (I think a 6mm is the one), and on a SLOW speed, "cut) a new hole in the tape for the valve.

That should do the trick.