I had my chip on.

Anyone experienced this?

Yup me :( have emailed them

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about your capability / fitness vs theirs.

And lower gearing capacity of the MTB also plays a part on a steeeeeep hill.

I agree but only on really steep hills will the gearing play its part,the rest is just him being stronger than the guys he is riding with...and they are only there with him because of drafting on flats and downhills and resistance.

Did the mtb thing yesterday and found the same thing,started in E and did not ride in any bunches so the first half mostly got passed by big bunches...the second half i started going past these bunches on the hills without even trying really.

You have to ride with riders that are just as strong as you then they will hurt you bigtime on the hills.

Edited by nochain

started in A , managed a 2h50s21. My legs didn't come to the party and lost the group on "joe slow . . . " my heart rate was 4-5% higher than normal ??? ( Could be the wind or maybe my MO... ?)

I had fun and enjoyed the race . . . very happy to sit within a group on the N14 , it was slow going but much better than been alone.

Well done to all !

Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo. That's what happens when people share names blush.png

:D

No problem,From what I hear the Lab brother did a seriously impressive ride yesterday,maybe one of the best in the age groups for many years....

Good to see him on the road again because he has been doing Mtb only lately..

What we notice is that we aren't even in granny gears, and still out pedal on the uphill.

I saw a whole bunch falling behind that stay with us on the flats,and descents, but on any sort of uphill they drop 50-100m behind.

Sorry, I only mentioned the granny gears as an amusing side observation, not as an explanation. I think wheel size plays a bigger role than one might imagine.

However, on the gearing question, you can select an equivalent gear combination on either bike, but what makes a big difference, I think, is the size of the chainring you use. The smaller the chainring, the greater the torque, and therefore the more effective your power is.

This seems to be illustrated when I select the big ring, and say, 5th on the cassette, and then change to the middle chainring / 8th on the cassette. The ratio is basically the same, big it's a lot easier to pedal a hill with the middle chainring engaged instead of the big one.

This is purely layman's thumbsucking, but it makes sense to me - please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Also, mountainbikers are stronger ;D

Yup me sad.png have emailed them

Thanks, also emailed them. First time this has happened to me; must be a bug in there systems.

Did anyone else notice the similarities between the MTB and Road times? Mine is only 3min different (MTB faster).

Great we'll agree to disagree, then.

Guys let not fight between us fellow Hubbers. We all good guys here we just don’t want chops like this riding with us. We all have our point of view which is great that’s what makes life so cool. I must say that i have been racing for the past 30yr BMX, Enduro’s, Pit bikes, Downhill Mountain Bikes, XC and Road. Been riding in the seeded groups and later in the Vet groups. This is the first time I have ever seen this or had it happen to me. I love close racing but that’s was a bit to close at +- 40km/hr. Thanks for all your replies. I have passed this on and no i am not going to the cops. If nothing happens well his day will come he will meet his make.

No don’t ask why I was in the B group when i was suppose to ride in VC. Ask Iron then you can all laugh at my expense.

Edited by Sean32

"What" beat me in the overall position? By gender I'm 160th but 170th overall, reason for asking is because the fastest female time was 2h34 on a tandem. So what makes up the 10 positions?

post-35204-0-19162800-1353318261_thumb.png

"What" beat me in the overall position? By gender I'm 160th but 170th overall, reason for asking is because the fastest female time was 2h34 on a tandem. So what makes up the 10 positions?

cows??

Did anyone else notice the similarities between the MTB and Road times? Mine is only 3min different (MTB faster).

My first 94.7 (back in the day) was on an MTB, I did it in 3:45. The next year, with an extra year of riding and racing under the belt, I did it on a road bike - 3:48 ... yeah, it seems the nature of the route allows MTB times to be very similar, better even than road times. Of course, that's only at over the 3:00 (or so) mark, once you start getting much stronger and dipping under 3 hours, you'll find your MTB will struggle to be competitive with your road bike.

My first 94.7 (back in the day) was on an MTB, I did it in 3:45. The next year, with an extra year of riding and racing under the belt, I did it on a road bike - 3:48 ... yeah, it seems the nature of the route allows MTB times to be very similar, better even than road times. Of course, that's only at over the 3:00 (or so) mark, once you start getting much stronger and dipping under 3 hours, you'll find your MTB will struggle to be competitive with your road bike.

hence my question to someone as well yesterday - would I be quicker on a Road bike?

Sure, there is no definite answer.

I did 2:42 MTB and 2:45 Road. Ave heartrate for both within 1%. On reading your answer again I realise I was misunderstood. I meant races not bikes Edited by cobuswes

hehe, you just wanted an excuse to post that screenshot, didn't you ;)

I think they're still working on the overall position thing, they had a relative position indicator earlier this morning, which I see they've removed for now.

Either that or, cobuswes is right, it was cows.

hehe, you just wanted an excuse to post that screenshot, didn't you wink.png

I think they're still working on the overall position thing, they had a relative position indicator earlier this morning, which I see they've removed for now.

Either that or, cobuswes is right, it was cows.

I don't know what you are talking about!whistling.gif