WHO REALLY WON THE 2012 EPIC ?

bassasdaindia

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point, but I was there and the temperature mid way through plummeted, the wind chill factor was huge and it occurred on a section that did not require you to pedal, or was not possible to pedal through. You could not have forseen this and thus the scramble for warmth.

I watched as a friend of mine stood in front of me - BLUE, passed out on her feet, eyes rolling back in her head, shaking uncontrollably and still wanting to continue. I would have given her my only raincoat but it was too little too late. She did not continue under orders from the medic. She could have passed out while descending and killed herself.

Which transgression is worse?

Kevin and David struggled with a puncture on stage 2/3 and lost 10-15 minutes stopping a few times... You say race strategy? Should they not have specified more puncture resistant tires?

Originally the race rules did not allow for replacement wheels etc at tech zones...now they do. The race will evolve, the racing got better as teams weren't out of the game if they suffered a failure.

Again I hear you , and as I was not there I cannot comment on the exact weather conditions, if peoples lives/ health were at risk so be it for bending of the rules.

Interesting little question for you fella's

Rules are rules right ?

So in the 2005 (If I recall the correct year) edition of the Epic, it pissed with rain on day 1.

It was a horrendous day.

My partner and I didn't have too much of a bad day as we took spare pads with on the stage.

The race rules clearly stated a cut-off time.

This was extended by an hour and when a big chunk of the field were still not in, it was extended by another hour, not just did this happen, but all DNF were relinquished.

Now this is not right, is it, especially to those who rode themselves in to a stupor to make the cut-off.

Bottom line, the race commissaire reserves the right to "bend" the rules at his discretion.

Kevin should have made public there and then what their decision was and perhaps there would not have been a hunt for sensationalism in print afterwards.

My understanding is that the event did not fall under UCI regulations in 2005

It does now and that might have quite a dramatic effect on the rules but as well as the penalties

If the major road races are UCI regulated and the riders get given bottles and jackets every 30 minutes, is that not outside assistance?

It falls under the same code of conduct and rules..

Anyway... who still reads these local mags? Same #### different month

My understanding is that the event did not fall under UCI regulations in 2005

It does now and that might have quite a dramatic effect on the rules but as well as the penalties

They have done this regularly since then.

Interesting little question for you fella's

Rules are rules right ?

So in the 2005 (If I recall the correct year) edition of the Epic, it pissed with rain on day 1.

It was a horrendous day.

My partner and I didn't have too much of a bad day as we took spare pads with on the stage.

The race rules clearly stated a cut-off time.

This was extended by an hour and when a big chunk of the field were still not in, it was extended by another hour, not just did this happen, but all DNF were relinquished.

Now this is not right, is it, especially to those who rode themselves in to a stupor to make the cut-off.

Bottom line, the race commissaire reserves the right to "bend" the rules at his discretion.

Kevin should have made public there and then what their decision was and perhaps there would not have been a hunt for sensationalism in print afterwards.

Best post I have seen here.

A realistic perspective needs to be taken on account of adverse weather.

Sorry OP, but I do think your rant is a little overboard on this one.

Again I hear you , and as I was not there I cannot comment on the exact weather conditions, if peoples lives/ health were at risk so be it for bending of the rules.

That's why I say I don't blame Burry...even if it cost him a penalty, it should not have cost him his health, World Cup season, Career.etc etc. Kevin and David should have taken jackets and dealt with it later IMO.

Agree with Dangle

I see your point, but I was there and the temperature mid way through plummeted, the wind chill factor was huge and it occurred on a section that did not require you to pedal, or was not possible to pedal through. You could not have forseen this and thus the scramble for warmth.

I watched as a friend of mine stood in front of me - BLUE, passed out on her feet, eyes rolling back in her head, shaking uncontrollably and still wanting to continue. I would have given her my only raincoat but it was too little too late. She did not continue under orders from the medic. She could have passed out while descending and killed herself.

Sounds like Lara

I rode that stage

Granted I was nowhere near the podium but it was horrendous and I would have taken extra kit from anyone even if i was leading

It was farkin cold in the mountains

A realistic perspective needs to be taken on account of adverse weather.

Sorry OP, but I do think your rant is a little overboard on this one.

Hairy, I don't think the OP was ranting, I get more the impression that he simply would like to get some hubbers opinions, and you know how we can go off the rails :lol:

If kevin and David "found" their raincoats lying on the side of the road after they "blew" out of the team cars window I'm sure they would have picked them up and Burry and Christoff or anyone else would not have said anything either.

That stage was ridiculous in the wet, and regardless of rules the safety of the riders must overrule. When I say safety that includes putting the health of riders in jeopardy.

It was raining at the start...granted... but only later near water point two was it so freezing that a huge number of competitors pulled out due to hypothermia. Elite athletes have extraordinary low fat percentages and can easily fall fate to this. Unless you were there..and riding...I don't think you can pass comment about wether or not Burry needed a jacket, the fact that K&D could not take jackets is another issue altogether.

Could you imagine the headlines and disaster for the race if the headline read "Epic Comm denies clothing - Podium teams hospitalized"

This post does not add up. How is denying K&D clothing a separate issue from allowing others clothing in the name of safety?

I understand it was colder than I can imagine and I don't believe Burry should be penalized but they were wrong in denying K&D the same.

I was in Dr Evils store in April and he told me about this incident, he said that there are different rules for Burry and Christof. Guys if its the rules then they shouldve got a penalty. It should not be for KE and DG to lodge a complaint, the race organisers knew about it and shouldve acted accordingly, i know its not nice but thats what gives a sport integrity. when a golfer finishes his round and signs his card if he makes a mistake he knows the rules mean he gets disqualified. No sour grapes its the rules its part of the game. Nobody to blame but yourself. Burry shouldve had correct equipment he chose not to wear a jacket, he broke the rules by getting assistance. That to me is the end of it, if the rules state an hr penalty there should be no complaints from anyone.

I know it will never change anything they will ALWAYS be considered champs for 2012 BUT it leaves a sour taste doesnt it...and the taste isnt sour grapes.

Edited by Stevief

You are all having a semi because of what was printed "second hand news" in a local cycling rag.

I will say it again, cry me a river.

How much really goes on behind your backs you don't know about.

Ja, but when an investigative journo brings it to pubic att, then it is expected that Q's will be Q'd..

..response from suzi yet? HA HA!

This post does not add up. How is denying K&D clothing a separate issue from allowing others clothing in the name of safety?

I understand it was colder than I can imagine and I don't believe Burry should be penalized but they were wrong in denying K&D the same.

From my undertanding, David and Kevin should have taken jackets if they felt it was necessary, then explained their actions and sited Burrys actions to justify theirs.

Edited by Tarmac's Revenge

Hairy, I don't think the OP was ranting, I get more the impression that he simply would like to get some hubbers opinions, and you know how we can go off the rails :lol:

Fair comment when I re-read his post ... sorry OP.