Cycling SA Olympic Squad Announced

Matt

burry and sifiso were obvious choices.

The rest make up the numbers.

Am i grossly uninformed, will we see a top 20 result from anyone else in this squad?

Agreed. I reckon Burry will bring a medal back, dunno what colour. The Girls going, are fantastic athletes, but will be cannon fodder. Impey along with Hunter and Van Rensburg could at least have had a fighting chance. On his own? Probably a DNF.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For my understanding, and coming from replies that mention "selection criteria", but then also "tough decisions" - is there first the selection criteria (can somebody post it here?) and then from there they can only select so many, hence the tough decisions? Why can they select only so many. I say, if you make the selection criteria you should go.

Edited by andydude

For my understanding, and coming from replies that mention "selection criteria", but then also "tough decisions" - is there first the selection criteria (can somebody post it here?) and then from there they can only select so many, hence the tough decisions? Why can they select only so many. I say, if you make the selection criteria you should go.

Because they have a limited budget to send athletes to the Olympics and the more athletes they send, the fewer VIP's, dignitaries, politicians, hangers on and other rabble will be able to go. Witness what they tried to do to keep the SA Men's Hockey team out of the Games. They set their own very onerous qualifying criteria even though the team had met the international qualifying standard. Well the hockey boys showed them and managed to qualify. Now I wonder if they'll increase the budget or cut some freeloaders?

Because they have a limited budget to send athletes to the Olympics and the more athletes they send, the fewer VIP's, dignitaries, politicians, hangers on and other rabble will be able to go. Witness what they tried to do to keep the SA Men's Hockey team out of the Games. They set their own very onerous qualifying criteria even though the team had met the international qualifying standard. Well the hockey boys showed them and managed to qualify. Now I wonder if they'll increase the budget or cut some freeloaders?

That's sad. I quite liked the story of the men's hockey team and how the women's team cheered them on and gave support.

PS. Nice saddle.

That's sad. I quite liked the story of the men's hockey team

I prefer the women's hockey team...

On the query of where the ladies are ranked the current UCI rankings at 31 May were:

Ashleigh Moolman - 23

Cherise Stander - 98

Jo van de Winkel - 138

Lise Olivier - 281

Robyn de Groot - 323

South Africa has 3 road race qualifications and 1 time trial so will be interesting to see who of the 3 selected does the time trial. For the men SA only had 1 qualification.

On the query of where the ladies are ranked the current UCI rankings at 31 May were:

Ashleigh Moolman - 23

Cherise Stander - 98

Jo van de Winkel - 138

Lise Olivier - 281

Robyn de Groot - 323

South Africa has 3 road race qualifications and 1 time trial so will be interesting to see who of the 3 selected does the time trial. For the men SA only had 1 qualification.

Quite ridiculous Cherise isn't going.

Not to take away from any of the others...

If you read SASCOC's site they say that selection of athletes will be considered if qualification is attained through the UCI final ranking by nation, where selection will be on merit. Whatever that means I would intepret it as take the top ranked cyclists? Robyn de Groot at 323rd on the UCI ranking with 5.25 points is an amazing pick. Who do you have to bribe to get that selection? Link to SASCOC selection policy for cycling: Selection Policy

You see things like this happen and can't help but think that it's not about performing, but rather who is palming who under a table? I don't think SA Cycling is at that point where someone can buy an Olympic spot, but it's the most suspect selection ever.

ZA may only take 3 cycling girls to the games' road race. It's not about functionaires taking up a money of a cyclist ehre.

The above listed UCI rankings shouldn't be taken too serious, but not neglected easier. When the girls race in Europe it's usually all about helping Ashleigh to get the best possible result - which is what team racing is about. Only then comes the own position. If you get to do a few races where Ashleigh is not riding you can aim at your own results and points.

And obviously when the team gets put together it will be done to have the best functioning team working for the strongest - Ashleigh.

Such selection will always lead to discussions afterwards. A tough one I wouldn't wanna take. The decision is taken now however, so now support them girls. (And the hockey girls of course, if they are going?! :-D )

Why isn't Nolan Hoffman on the track team? He basically dominated the SA track champs and got a 2nd in the World Champs....

For me this is the worst omission, he proved himself with Silver is OZ. He should be going.

For me this is the worst omission, he proved himself with Silver is OZ. He should be going.

Yeah, it's bizarre to exclude the Hoff.

Here's to wishing these athletes well!

you can't just send anyone according to the points on uci, they determine how many athletes a country can send. So as much as i would have liked to see nolan in the track team he cant go cause we only allowed one rider, for track.

... Robyn de Groot at 323rd on the UCI ranking with 5.25 points is an amazing pick. Who do you have to bribe to get that selection?

You place serious accusations out there. Do you suggest bribery from a rider herself or from outside sources?

Perhaps you are close to riders who weren't picked, and feel insulted. But like someone said: What's done is done. Try and live with it.

You place serious accusations out there. Do you suggest bribery from a rider herself or from outside sources?

Perhaps you are close to riders who weren't picked, and feel insulted. But like someone said: What's done is done. Try and live with it.

Yip, in this case I would not accuse these riders of anything, more in the lines of, the top people don't like you, so lets show you who's the bos.