Cycling SA Olympic Squad Announced

Matt

Well....I hope they both see the light. F*()*@ CSA and move to Europe or where ever where their talent might be recognised.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....I hope they both see the light. F*()*@ CSA and move to Europe or where ever where their talent might be recognised.

Was she not part of your TCS crowd long ago?

@Mallo,

I don't understand the team worker thing.....not sure what they are thinking and how these workers/helpers will be able to have an impact on the race but I think they are just plain stupid!!!!!!But that's just my opinion....

If you ride for one of the smaller countries the best and only way to get a result in a race like this is to ride off the bigger teams....you have to be at the right place at the right time....otherwise you are F#$ked!!It is all you can do........no way are we going to race a team race in a race like that......wtf are we going to ask Robyn to close down a break? Or protect a rider from the wind between 150plus other riders.....

Best they might do is provide them with food and drink and 1 rider should be enough for that job and it's lap racing so should have many feed pionts.

Best option for a small nation is send your 3 strongest riders and tell them to use their experience and hope to get lucky!!!!It is as simple as that.

The bigger team WILL dominate the race and we WILL have to be at there when things happen.

I would love for someone to explain to me what these so called helpers will do in a race like that to "help" Ashley....maybe CSA should tell us what the plan is.....if any....send some helpers to sit there and do what?????

After reading the criteria it seems like 90% is based on performance...don't make sense to me. They put in that little bit of teamwork to cover their choices i think.

Why choose some who's somewhere over 300 in UCI ranking over 98th ranked??

The point isn't whether we have a chance to podium but who should be going to give us the best chance to podium.

I'm really not knocking the people who were chosen but just feel that something is going on under the covers that we don't know about and someone is being slighted who should be going.

Andre gaan jou bliksem.....hehe dink dis klaar erg genoeg dat sy 700km van Pta af is. :D

Maar ek stem saam met jou!!

After reading the criteria it seems like 90% is based on performance...don't make sense to me. They put in that little bit of teamwork to cover their choices i think.

The point isn't whether we have a chance to podium but who should be going to give us the best chance to podium.

I'm really not knocking the people who were chosen but just feel that something is going on under the covers that we don't know about and someone is being slighted who should be going.

That's the whole crux of the matter!!!

This will all make for quite an interesting time if you are part of the ladies Lotto squad riding in the Giro starting tomorrow.

21 Robyn De Groot (RSA) 22 Ludivine Henrion (Bel) 23 Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) 24 Cherise Taylor (RSA) 25 Joanna Van De Winkel (RSA) 26 An Li Pretorius (RSA) 27 Lise Olivier (RSA) 28 Katrien Van Looy (Bel)

I would love for someone to explain to me what these so called helpers will do in a race like that to "help" Ashley....maybe CSA should tell us what the plan is.....if any....send some helpers to sit there and do what?????

damnit! you need someone to explain road racing to you! back to basics, 101.

In my opinion, time to go ride overseas and get your real worth.

Exactely! Go and race overseas and proof yoruself and collect points there. Substract the points cherise has won in South Africa and during African champs and it will make pooof.

Show your dedication, take that hard way, proof yourself against a vast and strong competition in Europe.

And we amateurs paying everyones salary at CSA with our license fees doesnt have a say in all of this........

ag please don't show your ignorance - you only pay the salary of the admin workers - all other positions at CSA are on a volunteer basis with no pay - and the admin worker have no say in selection of who goes and who doesn't.

Hi Wonder Woman. I've been thinking about this, and maybe the starting problem was that the criteria to qualify was only 90% certain. That mean's there's a 10% subjective criteria which seems to be the problem. The point is that all 4 qualified for the 90% criteria. That's done and dusted. That means the other 10% becomes 100% subjective. Then subjectively they chose 3 out of 4 to go, because they could pick only 3.

I've read all the arguments for and against, but in cycling the strongest person doesn't always win, especially one day races which has more luck.

And another scenario: obviously your team leader will have the highest ranking, BUT does that mean she is the strongest? If a team member(s) works really hard for the leader, they will probably drop off or finish in the second half of the bunch meaning they don't get points. So comparing their UCI rankings doesn't tell the full story to me.

Listen, I don't know the inner workings of ladies cycling, and I'm also trying to figure out what's going on and how exactly they chose the team, but in the end 4 ladies qualified and 3 were chosen to go. Maybe the reasoning behind the decision should be clearer so that everybody can understand, but even if they make it crystal clear, there will still be people with their own opinions.

Edited by andydude

This will all make for quite an interesting time if you are part of the ladies Lotto squad riding in the Giro starting tomorrow.

21 Robyn De Groot (RSA) 22 Ludivine Henrion (Bel) 23 Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) 24 Cherise Taylor (RSA) 25 Joanna Van De Winkel (RSA) 26 An Li Pretorius (RSA) 27 Lise Olivier (RSA) 28 Katrien Van Looy (Bel)

Let's support them all the way! They've shown they can race with the best and together with the men's Bonitas team who's doing great, they are putting SA's flag on the international stage again.

Go ladies!

Interesting that De Groot is starting with No 21 attached to her jersey...

Why?