Cycling SA Olympic Squad Announced

Matt

Where have I shown you any knowledge?

All I know is that I'll clock off in 30 to ride my bike instead of speaking about it.

I'm one of those people born without any talents and have picked any up along the way. The same comes to knowledge.

But we are on the hub, right? Lucky me!

If only you knew.......if only.....

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us got it anyway.... but a pikcha is always worth a 1000 words..

http://cyclinginfo.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/simag-cherise.jpg

Dracs, don't force me to post one of those "this dude rocks" pics again :rolleyes:

Racing 101?

Enjoy the ride...

Nah, that's no display of knowledge. Really.

Weather looks beautiful! Thanks.

Dracs, don't force me to post one of those "this dude rocks" pics again :rolleyes:

Great wheels on the Raleigh...........

I don't skinner.

Leave that to the girls and capetonians. ;)

I'm looking forward to hooking up with with a chick during my ride then. Information deluxe!

ag please don't show your ignorance - you only pay the salary of the admin workers - all other positions at CSA are on a volunteer basis with no pay - and the admin worker have no say in selection of who goes and who doesn't.

CSA income statement to 31/12/2011 here at

http://www.cyclingsa.com/App_Resources/Uploads/FILE00000855.PDF

Total licence fee & other income R 5 614 063

Licence fees and day licences as % of this = 60%

Total Salaries R 1 572 770

Equal to R 131 000 per month.

Interesting!

My 2 cents on this matter

I have been part of teams, where Cherise has been a rider. She is a professional. First person in the team car vehicle to leave for races. Always does her best no matter what the climate or her health. She is a team player. Other riders look up to her.

I think this selection was done a few months ago. The plan to get all SA best riders into one team had it negative influence on our domestic racing. I can tell you, Cherise was forced to ride for her current team. She had no choice. "If you want to go to Olympics, you must ride for that team". This is why she has a issue with been left out. She had to appologies to her sponsors, because she had to cut ties with them because she was forced to ride for a certain team.

We will lose 2 ladies teams come end of 2012 - 2013. The sponsors have not got their Return on Investment.

If Cyclingsa wanted a worker for the team, they should have selected An-Li. The best pound for pound rider in SA at the moment. Hard worker with a great attitude. An-Li would have complemented both Ashley and Cherise at the games. The course is pan flat. It will end in a bunch sprint. Both An-Li and Cherise would be the best lead out for Ashley. An-Li and Cherise can both sprint.

There is more to this, than what Cyclingsa are telling us. Too many people in the back ground pulling strings.

Just been reading my colleague Tim Whitfield's story on the judgement - will post a link when it goes online - it seems it is a "flawed ruling".

Seems De Groot's UCI points may be invalid.

The names of those on the appeal committee: Mike Bradley, George Corbett, George Stroebel.

Just been reading my colleague Tim Whitfield's story on the judgement - will post a link when it goes online - it seems it is a "flawed ruling".

Seems De Groot's UCI points may be invalid.

The names of those on the appeal committee: Mike Bradley, George Corbett, George Stroebel.

So mr crash a lot, do you think Taylorchick still has a chance of going??

Can you elaborate?

Seems the argument is that De Groot's UCI points were earned at African champs and a TTT and are thus invalid.

So mr crash a lot, do you think Taylorchick still has a chance of going??

Dunno how it works from here.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Very briefly, Robyn de Groot scored her UCI points from a Team Time Trial in July last year and African Champs.

The following are extracts from the Appeal Panel's findings:

3.1.5.2. It was agreed to, in the appeal hearing, that the criteria should therefore

only pertain to results and rankings from 01 October 2011.

... so the team time trial result cannot be used to get a UCI ranking.

3.2.1.The panel concurs that the e-mail detailing the selection criteria to be the final

criteria from which the riders meeting the highest criteria will indeed be

considered for selection;

3.2.1.1. The emphasis here being, that, from the long list of riders to whom this e-mail

was sent, only those fulfilling the highest criteria would be in line for further

consideration for final selection;

3.2.1.2. It is the panels understanding, that due to the fact that South Africa only

qualified for 3 places in the Games, that only riders meeting the highest

criteria would be considered further;

3.2.1.3. The long list consisted of: Moolman-Pasio, Taylor, Van De Winkel, De Groot;

Olivier and Pretorius;

3.2.2.After the exclusion of points earned in African Championships and National

Championships points, both Olivier and Pretorius did not meet any of the highest

criteria, and therefore excluded from any further consideration;

3.2.2.1. It is agreed that Olivier and Pretorius had not attained the highest criteria due

to a lack of international exposure during the time period confirmed in terms

of 3.1.5.2 above;

3.2.2.1.1.1. Both Olivier and Pretorius had no UCI ranking at the end of the period;

(Underlining is me highlighting the key issues)

If the team time trial results are excluded, Robyn only has points from her African Champs and there is no debate that those should be excluded. So, if Olivier and Pretorius are excluded because they have no UCI ranking, then Robyn must be as well, becuase she has no UCI points after October 1.

This then only leaves Moolman-Pasio, Taylor, Van De Winkel as meeting the criteria according to point 3.2.1.1

On the basis of that the selection of a three-person team becomes rather simple.

But now the problem is where to from here?

Sascoc has to finalise the team on July and send it to IOC, so there seems to be no time frame for a high court appeal (to get a signed affidavid from Cherise in Italy -- needed for the high court appeal -- will take time and even if it could be finalised the court cannot re-select the team, they can only say there was a problem in the selection and force CSA to re-select (again). Cherise's lawyer is trying to find out if the July 4 deadline is a DEADline or a line that can be adjusted in the case of a legal issue such as this.

The options are (I think):

CSA should do the right thing and admit an error and include Cherise (but that means excluding Robyn which seems very harsh, but still the right thing I think)

Robyn withdraws (I think she has been something of an innocent victim in this and I guess that is unlikely)

Cherise drops her challenge (she seems determined to get justice and it is difficult to blame her seeing as it is pretty obvious she has been harshly treated)

The court process goes through a decision is made after the fact, but CSA comes out of it with egg splattered all over their face -- if this happens there should (in my opinion) be resignations !!!!

Of course all this is just my humble opinion ...

PS: The panel has, by the way, reinforced the time frame issue by excluding some of Cherise's "representations on her capabilities as a domestique" because they "mostly fall outside the time frame agreed" and the panel verified evidence that "Taylor did not fulfil the role as domestique/lead out duringthe time frame stipulated in paragraph 3.1.5.2 ..."