Average Heart Rate in Races

Hi Guys,

If someone could share some knowledge it would be great.

I am fairly new in the MTB scene and have done about six races this year. I am not the fittest out there, not by a long shot, and I unfortunately smoke (which will hopefully change soon).

I noticed that my last race (yesterday) and about two others before that my Average Heart rate is about 175BPM.

When looking at my Bryton stats, my HR stays in zone 7 for most of the race. I do push myself and I really want to achieve something and not just sit in the bunch.

Below are the stats from my last race:

Riding time

02:02:50

Riding Distance

29.27 km

Altitude Gain

508 m

Calories Burned

2084 Kcal

Avg Temperature

9.1 oC

Difficulty

Level 3 (44)

Avg Speed

14.3 km/h

Avg HR

175 bpm

Avg Cadence

83 rpm

As you can see not the best out there, but I must admit I had cramps and have had this knee problem for a second time. I am hoping once I get the proper setup for my bike my knee issue will be sorted.

What I do want to know though is my HR. Is it safe etc to be in this zone for about 2 hours? Any other advice would be appreciated.....that goes for the knee issue as well.

Thanks

I also want to know...my HR is 92%+ of max all the way. 103%of Max at times. @hours +/-

Your max is not accurate, it is impossible to go above 100%! You have now achieved a new max, reset your device to reflect this new heart rate.

It is common to sit in the 80's in a race, the reason you are cramping is that you are pushing harder than your body wants you to go, you are not allowing time for the lactic acid in your muscles to be "cleared".

You will always have lactic acid build up if your heart works in the 85% plus range, no matter how fit your are, it's just how the body works.

Do more training up to 78% with only a few bursts up to 90% then recover back down to the mid 70's

Hit some really obscurely high numbers in the Kremetart, but all has been revealed.... I'm sick :( Nasty cough & phlegm in the chest to boot :(

I say never worry about your HR just dont push when you feel sick

Check this out, this is how bad alcohol is for you

had 7 beers last nigh after being dry for nearly 50 day and decided to go for a 5km run today

Now compare it to the same run a week or 2 back

5km

17:52

avg 167

Max 179

5km with 7 beers

19:51

avg HR 174

max 220

and on the bike on a race 42km

21.4 avg

163 avg HR

175 max HR

Edited by tunariaan

I say never worry about your HR just dont push when you feel sick

Check this out, this is how bad alcohol is for you

had 7 beers last nigh after being dry for nearly 50 day and decided to go for a 5km run today

Now compare it to the same run a week or 2 back

5km 5k with 7 beers

17:52 19:51

avg HR 167 174

Max 179 220

and on the bike on a race 42km

21.4 avg

163 avg HR

175 max HR

Are you sure you ran the same route... I mean if you were still oiled you might have taken another route... or maybe you were wearing two different shoes?

maybe it was the temp. or the wind, or something you ate.

or stress...

not scientific at all?

Edited by TheV

Hi Guys,

If someone could share some knowledge it would be great.

I am fairly new in the MTB scene and have done about six races this year. I am not the fittest out there, not by a long shot, and I unfortunately smoke (which will hopefully change soon).

I noticed that my last race (yesterday) and about two others before that my Average Heart rate is about 175BPM.

When looking at my Bryton stats, my HR stays in zone 7 for most of the race. I do push myself and I really want to achieve something and not just sit in the bunch.

Below are the stats from my last race:

Riding time

02:02:50

Riding Distance

29.27 km

Altitude Gain

508 m

Calories Burned

2084 Kcal

Avg Temperature

9.1 oC

Difficulty

Level 3 (44)

Avg Speed

14.3 km/h

Avg HR

175 bpm

Avg Cadence

83 rpm

As you can see not the best out there, but I must admit I had cramps and have had this knee problem for a second time. I am hoping once I get the proper setup for my bike my knee issue will be sorted.

What I do want to know though is my HR. Is it safe etc to be in this zone for about 2 hours? Any other advice would be appreciated.....that goes for the knee issue as well.

Thanks

On the knee issue. May be get a bike setup done.

ja, good question....one I would also like an answer too....

I am 44 years (male)

Fairly fit

Max HR 194

In 70/75km MTB marathons, I almost always average my HR between 172-177 beats per minute for the full duration of the race....(anything from 2h45m for a race up to 3h30...depending on the difficulty of the race)

Is it a good thing....I dunno...but, I've been doing it for more than a year, since I really upped my fitness.

There is no one correct answer for where one's heart rate should be in a race. Each individual is different. Step 1 would be to find your true max HR by climbing a longish hill at maximum intensity for 2 minutes. (after a nice long warm up of say 30 minutes).

Also helps to know where your lactate threshold is (can have this tested). One generally cannot maintain their effort at a HR above this threshold for longer than an hour or two, before cramping or hitting the wall.

Individuals LTH can vary greatly. The closer your LTH to your max HR the more potential you have to ride at a high intensity for sustained periods of time. Lance's LTH was very close to his Max HR.

Heart rate also depends from person to person based on things like Lung capacity and heart size.

Basically its best to get a grip of your own stats (Max HR and LTH) and build your training and racing programs around that.