AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to give the Vittoria Mazza a try. The staircase ramp seems like a clever idea.

mazza-tread-graphics.jpg?auto=webp&forma

Pricing in Vittoria tyres are very attractive as well. They get reasonably good reviews. 

Pricing in Vittoria tyres are very attractive as well. They get reasonably good reviews. 

And longevity seems good from reviews. Just haven't seen any stock locally.

I'd like to give the Vittoria Mazza a try. The staircase ramp seems like a clever idea.

mazza-tread-graphics.jpg?auto=webp&forma

I just put a Mazza on the front of my bike, to replace a DHR2 which feels a bit floaty. First ride on it later today. I'll report back.

Good XC and marathon combo, my favourite in fact. Definitely not an AM combo at all...

You'd be surprised, I was. I run Ardent 2.4's on my HT. They are not especially fast rolling and for our conditions i.e dry, hardpack and rocks they grip like crazy. The same bike with a Magic Mary up front is total overkill and feels as if you're riding with the brakes on.

That said, on an uber slack enduro bike where the front end needs all the help it can get I would not run an Ardent. 

I just put a Mazza on the front of my bike, to replace a DHR2 which feels a bit floaty. First ride on it later today. I'll report back.

Looking fwd to hear how you found it. Where did you get the tyre and how much?

And longevity seems good from reviews. Just haven't seen any stock locally.

Longevity is fine, just not for the e-Martello on the rear, mine is completely toast :(

All in all the tread pattern was OK, not great. The casing is incredibly strong, think Schwalbe SuperGravity at least IMO.

post-10323-0-09179600-1612256574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thermophage

I have switched out my 1.3kg WTB Convict 2.5 wide for a wider and much lighter conti de baron 2.6 wide weighing 930gms.  I have change the rear trailboss 2.4 at 1.2kg  as well to a conti mnt king new version. Also 2.6 wide weighing 820gms.

The lighter rotational weight is immediately noticeable and rolling resistance is much better now. It does not feel like I am dragging wheels about. The WTB are great, but the conti is just way better for me at least. I have tried the other brands over the years, but always come back to conti. I guess I just like them more for their durability and longevity.

mnt king Continental-Mountain-King-2-6-ProTection

De Baron

Continental_Der_Baron_2_6_Projekt_Faltre

Longevity is fine, just not for the e-Martello on the rear, mine is completely toast :(

All in all the tread pattern was OK, not great. The casing is incredibly strong, think Schwalbe SuperGravity at least IMO.

I see the Vittoria Agarro is a popular choice for a rear when using the Mazza up front. Looks fast rolling, but maybe not enough grip (specifically climbing traction) due to the shallow tread? Depending on the terrain you ride, etc.

Vittoria-Agarro-trail-mountain-bike-tire

Edited by MrJacques

Could be. My PRIMARY concern though for a rear tyre is stiff casing. Which severely limits my tyre choices unfortunately.

I'd MUCH rather lug around 200g more and not have to be overly concerned about wankering a rim or having to fix a puncture than save a little mass there :)

Could be. My PRIMARY concern though for a rear tyre is stiff casing. Which severely limits my tyre choices unfortunately.

I'd MUCH rather lug around 200g more and not have to be overly concerned about wankering a rim or having to fix a puncture than save a little mass there :)

Then consider running an insert like CushCore that provides sidewall support and rim protection.

Then consider running an insert like CushCore that provides sidewall support and rim protection.

And is also heavier than just running a stiffer tyre. I'm good on tyres for now. 

I have run inserts before (although not CushCore or the Vittoria Airliner) and they're a bandaid for an problem that shouldn't exist. Our importers are uninformed as to their tyre products IMO.

Curious to see a photo if you can do that.

You'd be surprised, I was. I run Ardent 2.4's on my HT. They are not especially fast rolling and for our conditions i.e dry, hardpack and rocks they grip like crazy. The same bike with a Magic Mary up front is total overkill and feels as if you're riding with the brakes on.

That said, on an uber slack enduro bike where the front end needs all the help it can get I would not run an Ardent. 

It was my go to tyre combo on my hardtail for a long time - I really like the ardent up front, ardent race out back... Just not an AM combo in my mind. Had too many close calls with that combo when I rode it where it was not mean to be ridden. Maybe that was just my lack of skill

It was my go to tyre combo on my hardtail for a long time - I really like the ardent up front, ardent race out back... Just not an AM combo in my mind. Had too many close calls with that combo when I rode it where it was not mean to be ridden. Maybe that was just my lack of skill

Or maybe I just don't "AM" the Ardents properly :-)