AM tyres... what you running?

patches

My mission is to find the front tyre that offers the best combination for SA conditions - i.e the fastest rolling and acceptable grip in the corners. I am relatively happy with the Aggressor up front ( ya I know its generally considered a rear only) but I'm wondering if a Disector might not be better still? Anyone tried one up front? 

Have an aggressor up front as well, contrary to what Hairy advised a while back...

Finding it to be a bit loose on certain terrain now (Sandy berms don't help).

Looking purely at the tread pattern of the Dissector, it looks like the big brother to the aggressor.

Should have taken the advice on a more aggressive front tire. :)  :ph34r: 

Anyone running a minion SS on the rear?

Brakes are a bit loose, but doesn't fish tail and grips well when cornering, find it better than an Ikon.

Rolling resistance is pretty good.

Edited by Mtree

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking fwd to hear how you found it. Where did you get the tyre and how much?

Sorry - It is a Martello I put on the front...

For what it's worth it feel less floaty than the DHR2 (that was a 2.6 and the Martello is a 2.35) and it handles transitions in angle more predictably. The DHR2 kind of found its own line a lot where the Martello goes where you tell it too. It's a little lighter. What it does not have which the DHR2 does, is that bombproof feeling of just shrugging everything off and keeping on rolling. 

Have an aggressor up front as well, contrary to what Hairy advised a while back...

Finding it to be a bit loose on certain terrain now (Sandy berms don't help).

Looking purely at the tread pattern of the Dissector, it looks like the big brother to the aggressor.

Should have taken the advice on a more aggressive front tire. :)  :ph34r: 

Anyone running a minion SS on the rear?

Brakes are a bit loose, but doesn't fish tail and grips well when cornering, find it better than an Ikon.

Rolling resistance is pretty good.

mmm ... did I ever advise an aggressor for the front, can't think I would ever do that.

mmm ... did I ever advise an aggressor for the front, can't think I would ever do that.

Read again he said he went against your professional advice...

My mission is to find the front tyre that offers the best combination for SA conditions - i.e the fastest rolling and acceptable grip in the corners. I am relatively happy with the Aggressor up front ( ya I know its generally considered a rear only) but I'm wondering if a Disector might not be better still? Anyone tried one up front? 

Specialized Eliminator...

PhilipV has a disector up front on his new bike. Sure he can give feedback soon!

I might have to replace my DHRII sooner than expected. Side knobs coming off already and I'm not an aggressive rider. Not sure how many kms it has on bc I bought the bike 2nd hand and then swapped it to the front. The DHF which is now at the back looks to be in better shape overall.

I wonder if something like shoe goo would work to get some more life out of it? Might be worth a try.

As much as I like them I probably won't buy them again (at least not new, unless I get a good deal) due to the lack of durability.

post-19687-0-35824600-1612362332_thumb.jpg

post-19687-0-98300200-1612362344_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrJacques

I might have to replace my DHRII sooner than expected. Side knobs coming off already and I'm not an aggressive rider. Not sure how many kms it has on bc I bought the bike 2nd hand and then swapped it to the front. The DHF which is now at the back looks to be in better shape overall.

I wonder if something like shoe goo would work to get some more life out of it? Might be worth a try.

As much as I like them I probably won't buy them again (at least not new, unless I get a good deal) due to the lack of durability.

20210203_161507.jpg

20210203_161559.jpg

All Minions do that. It's the price you pay for insane cornering grip. From my experience a set will last around 1500km of enthusiastic riding.

That is R1.30 per km. Lol

]

With rubber, durability is a trade-off against grip. Softer rubber grips better, harder tyres last longer. Maxxis calls their tiers MaxxTerra, MaxxGrip and Super Tacky.

Specialized Eliminator...

PhilipV has a disector up front on his new bike. Sure he can give feedback soon!

I am also a fan of the eliminator on the front.

I have a 29x2.6 Dissektor on the front now. But I can't say whether it's the different wheelsize, different bike or different tyres, but I'm having a jol up and down Helderberg with that tyre. It can stay.

2.6 dissektor on the front and 2.6 rekon at the back. I'm liking the low rolling resistance and predictable sliding of this combo.

I also had a dissektor on the back of the old bike, and it worked very well there. Only rode it a couple of times though.

I Like the Eliminator as dry wheater tyre , i rode in jonkers once while it was raining and as a font tyre inteh wet it was quite scary

All Minions do that. It's the price you pay for insane cornering grip. From my experience a set will last around 1500km of enthusiastic riding.

That is R1.30 per km. Lol

I was just about to start a post about Vittoria Barzo and it feeling sketchy upfront and then I saw this. My bike came with a Minion up front and Ardent on the back. When I replaced them recently I found Vittorias on special and decided to give them a go as have heard good things. Put the Mezcal on the back and seems to "roll" better than the Ardent. My issue is the the Barzo up front, it feels like I am continually going to wash out around corners and I find that if lifting the front wheel is it far less forgiving if you don't land flush.

So I guess my question is - is a Barzo not a great option up front or have I just become used to 3 plus years of a Minion which is more forgiving perhaps? 

I am also a fan of the eliminator on the front.

I have a 29x2.6 Dissektor on the front now. But I can't say whether it's the different wheelsize, different bike or different tyres, but I'm having a jol up and down Helderberg with that tyre. It can stay.

2.6 dissektor on the front and 2.6 rekon at the back. I'm liking the low rolling resistance and predictable sliding of this combo.

I also had a dissektor on the back of the old bike, and it worked very well there. Only rode it a couple of times though.

Thanks for this. I look at the Assegai  and Magic Mary and think those knobs are taller than we need in SA in the main. That said I used to love my MM on my old enduro bike, it was just too much tyre for the HT.