AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Thanks for this. I look at the Assegai  and Magic Mary and think those knobs are taller than we need in SA in the main. That said I used to love my MM on my old enduro bike, it was just too much tyre for the HT.  

A Assegai "race" would be lekker with a shallower tread!

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this. I look at the Assegai and Magic Mary and think those knobs are taller than we need in SA in the main. That said I used to love my MM on my old enduro bike, it was just too much tyre for the HT.

I mainly used my Assegaai for races and shuttle days. But it was a double d Maxx Grip tyre. The Eliminator had a bit less grip, but weighed half a ton less, so was way better to live with.

I swapped my lekker sixxfiddy tyres for two used Assegaais today. I'll probably put the better one on the front and something like an Aggressor on the back when winter arrives.

Anyone tried the Panaracer Romero up front ? The only ones I can find are 60tpi "e-bike worthy" 

version in 2.6 for R800 odd. Sounds a bit hefty for front wheel use on a normal enduro bike...

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, MrJacques said:

I'd like to give the Vittoria Mazza a try. The staircase ramp seems like a clever idea.

mazza-tread-graphics.jpg?auto=webp&forma

Revival. 

Has anyone found stock yet of the Mazza? 

I'm gatvol of the seeping of sealant through the sidewalls on my Onza Ibex and to the be honest the grip isn't that spectacular either.

Alternatively how good is the Martello? Gauteng conditions with a bi-annual trip to Karkloof. I'm a fairly aggressive rider.  

2 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Alternatively how good is the Martello? Gauteng conditions with a bi-annual trip to Karkloof. I'm a fairly aggressive rider.  

I'll let you know this weekend when I take mine on their first ride (Leg is almost good as new) 

Thanks man. 

The Martello looks very much like the Schwalbe Hans Dampf which I've loved in the past. 

1 minute ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks man. 

The Martello looks very much like the Schwalbe Hans Dampf which I've loved in the past. 

For what it's worth; they feel super sticky and grippy. But that might just be how all new tyres feel. 

They feature a lot on Nicks bike on GMBN too - and UK conditions are be terrible! 

Just now, RJClegg said:

For what it's worth; they feel super sticky and grippy. But that might just be how all new tyres feel. 

They feature a lot on Nicks bike on GMBN too - and UK conditions are be terrible! 

Problem is Gauteng and UK conditions are so different. We have a lot of rocks and hardpack with loose on top. 

I am enjoying the Assegai up front on my Enduro. It rolls surprisingly fast and as I may have said in my previous post, its almost as if it isn't there. I was thinking about this the other day. The MM gives feedback - i.e you can almost feel the knobs biting into the dirt which I like. The Assegai just does its thing without that much feedback. It may just be the fact that my MM was on a different bike and I haven't been able to compare it with the Assegai on my current bike, but either way, I'm very happy with it as a front tyre. 

19 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Problem is Gauteng and UK conditions are so different. We have a lot of rocks and hardpack with loose on top. 

True. I did do some reading on these tyres before hand and hard, rocky, sandy stuff should be good on them. These should be a lot better than my Kenda's too. 

42 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks 

The Morsa actually looks really good for GP conditions. 

Looks interesting and similar to my continental de baron.

• 7 months later...

Anybody see stock of maxxis DD/DH casing in SA stores? In DHR or Dissector.

Or does SA market only cater for exo+?

I already run foamo in my rear, but thinking of removing that and just running DD/DH casings on the rear 

Edited by MajG

10 hours ago, MajG said:

Anybody see stock of maxxis DD/DH casing in SA stores? In DHR or Dissector.

Or does SA market only cater for exo+?

I already run foamo in my rear, but thinking of removing that and just running DD/DH casings on the rear 

You do find them occasionally of late as Rush brought in some DHR2.

Having run this tread pattern I would suggest you get a different tyre for the rear if you like something that will give you control.

In my experience, the Spez Butcher in Grid Gravity will be immensely better in all categories (rolling, braking, cornering and sidewall strength) than the DRH2 in DD...Also...It's readily available locally, unlike the DD.

I was quite severely underwhelmed by the strength of teh DD casing overall, after having searched so damn long for one as EXO+ is basically a recipe for plugs and rim dings on TM area for me.

Those Grid Gravity from Spez and SuperGravity from Schwalbe blow it completely out of the water.

For what it's worth, i woudl still run an insert with the DD< but zero need (unless you're a real chonker or big dude) with Grid Gravity and SuperGravity. I can get away on TM and signal hill with 25 and 24PSI respectively in the rear tyre with those and not ping rims. Haven't had a need to go lower.

Edited by Thermophage