Category: Multisport

Date: Saturday 28 July 2012

Sat 28 July: 06h00-07h00

Start Times: Race Briefing (compulsory for everyone): 07h30

Short Course start: 07h45

Long Course start: 08h15

Entry Fee: Short course: R500 per pair

Long Course: R700 per pair

Note: this entry fee includes whitewater rafting on the Palmiet river with “Gravity Tours” to the value of R550 pp.

Entry period: Entries are open via www.wcad.co.za

Early entries will close at 6pm on 18 July 2012.

Late entries carry a surcharge of R200/team and close at 6pm on 23 July 2012

Start/finish: The race will start and finish at Palmiet Caravan Park, Kleinmond. This will also be the main transition point where you will leave bikes and kit.

Team format: Competitors must race in teams of two and stay together at all times. Mixed gender teams are encouraged and endorsed as the ‘main’ category but male pairs and female pairs also welcome.

Race distance: There are two distance options. Short course of approximately 50km and long course approximately 90km. Both races will consist of the following approximate breakdowns in distance:

• 20% Trekking/running

• 10% Whitewater river rafting

• 70% Mountain Biking

Further details, routes, exact distances and sequence of events will only be disclosed upon issue of your maps and course information at race registration. This is the ‘norm’ for Adventure Racing so please don’t bother enquiring prior.

Race duration: Expected race duration:

• Short course: 5 – 9 Hours

• Long Course: 8 – 16 Hour

Navigation: The course is NOT marked. Competitors are required to navigate their way around the course between Check Points (CP’s) by means of map and compass. Maps are 1:50 000 topographical paper maps. They are pre-marked with CP’s but competitors need to decide on their own route. Allow ample time for route planning. We recommend no less than 1 hour for route plotting and bring your own stationary, highlighters etc to mark maps. GPS are NOT allowed although foot pods and distance measuring watches (without gps co-ords.) are permitted.

Kit required: There is a compulsory kit list attached included at the end of this race info and also available at www.wcad.co.za. Competitors must ensure they are carrying all compulsory items at all times. There will be random kit checks along the way and competitors without compulsory gear will be penalized with time or disqualified accordingly. Please take necessary precaution to keep maps dry. Whitewater rafts (crocs), life jackets (PFD’s) and paddles will all be provided by race organizer. If you would like to do the rafting leg in a wetsuit then you will need to bring your own and carry it with you on the entire trekking leg. Please note that at least 1 team member will require a bicycle odometer/distance measurer.

Accom: The race will be based at the Palmiet Caravan park and competitors can book camping directly:http://www.overstrand.gov.za/images/stories/palmiet_Large.jpg

Race headquarters is closest to Campsite A1.

For other accommodation options in the area visit Kleinmond Tourism: http://www.ecoscape.org.za/

We recommend arriving on Friday evening to avoid the Sat am rush.

Race Rules: As per race website: http://wcad.co.za/?page_id=23

Queries: Race director: Chris Fisher- 078 702 9178

wcad@live.co.za

Entries: Enter via www.wcad.co.za

Go to Event Page