Cassette Wobble

lyslexic

The cassette on my new bike "wobbles". When I say wobble I mean it moves around and it's not straight.

I asked the LBS about this and was told that the plastic bit behind the cassette was making it look like the cassette is wobbling. I removed the plastic and it still wobbles :huh:

Is this Normal? Is the wheel not true or is the wheel bent?

The cassette on my new bike "wobbles". When I say wobble I mean it moves around and it's not straight.

I asked the LBS about this and was told that the plastic bit behind the cassette was making it look like the cassette is wobbling. I removed the plastic and it still wobbles :huh:

Is this Normal? Is the wheel not true or is the wheel bent?

No it's not normal for it to wobble.Take it to another bike shop to have it checked.How did you remove the plastic disk?

My daughter's 20Inch bike does exactly the same thing. I just took it to be a cheap bike. Besides, after 3 years, no issues.

Most likely the cassette is not properly tightened onto the freehub body with the fixing ring or the bearings are badly fitted.

Either way your bike shop should fix it.

It is perfectly normal. Go for a ride.

How is it normal? What causes it to happen?

How is it normal? What causes it to happen?

A very large percentage of hubs do this. The freehub body is not exactly centred on the axle and causes it to do a little waltz that is clearly visible when the bike is freewheeling in the stand. It does exactly that when the freewheel is engaged too, but the sprocket movement mesmerizes you so that you can't see it.

It is more prevalent on freewheels with hardened steel bodies such as Shimano, than on aluminium-bodied freewheels. This is 'cause the steel is tempered after it was machined and slightly distorted in the process.

Go for a ride. Seiously.

A very large percentage of hubs do this. The freehub body is not exactly centred on the axle and causes it to do a little waltz that is clearly visible when the bike is freewheeling in the stand. It does exactly that when the freewheel is engaged too, but the sprocket movement mesmerizes you so that you can't see it.

It is more prevalent on freewheels with hardened steel bodies such as Shimano, than on aluminium-bodied freewheels. This is 'cause the steel is tempered after it was machined and slightly distorted in the process.

Go for a ride. Seiously.

Fair enough. Thanks.

How did you remove the plastic disk?

I removed the cassette (chain whip and cassette removal tool) and the plastic bit was held with 3 or 4 clips which came off very easily)

When you freewheel or when you pedal?

freewheel. Bike is on a stand, I peddle the wheel then freewheel it and I can see the cassette moving side to side

Is there play on the cassette if you move it by hand?

There's no play if you move it by hand

Go for a ride. Seiously.

Thanks, Problem solved :thumbup:

A few years ago I also noticed this on a new bike. My lbs put an enquiry to Shimano, who confirmed that this is indeed designed as such. The slight wobble assists in throwing off the chain when shifting gears. To confirm: go ride your bike.

Go for a ride. Seiously.

I had a look on my mtb and road wheels and there is no movement on the cassette,it's vas.Are we talking about the same thing?