1*9 on a 26" XC bike

NotSoBigBen

Busy building a 26" bike that will be used for XC or XC type courses only, just wondering ....

1) Is some kind of device absolutely necessary to keep the chain on the front chainring?

2) What would be the best chainring size and cluster or is that merely dependant on your legs/ course?

3) Any suggestions on 'middle of the road' gear options to start with?

Just a thought since I have the option to experiment a bit with this build :)

Or am I just smoking my socks and I should stay with my trusty 3*9 ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go For It,

What do you have to lose.

At worst, it will make you stronger.

Not had one, but ridden with a guy with a 1x9 and he had no chain guard/tensioner, and could ride away from me up and down.

Happy to just try it but would prefer not to be dropping the chain all the time .... but if you've seen it done then that's already promising :)

Not too worried about it making me stronger but I ride all of my current training route on the small ring of my 2*10 on my 29r without a problem ...

I built a 1x9 on an old 26 HT. Yes you need a chain guide. I use a Pauls. Gearing wise I run a 38 up front and and 11/36 at the back. I do a fair bit of training on the road on this bike so the longer gearing helps. The gearing is also low enough for rides on the 'spruit and local marathon races like the Trailseeker and USN series. A proper XC course will probably have you struggling with the 38 though.

I'm also on a 1x9 setup, 32 t up front, but I suck on the hills and was using my existing rings.

Yes - you definitely need a guide of sorts, but I'm just using my old fd as a guide. Works beautifully, and costs no extra.

In terms of The gearing, a lot of it depends on your fitness / strength. In a few weeks i'll be getting s 36t, just so that i have a few options.

Not sure about 1x9, but I use 1x10 for XC races. Yes, like 'sometime' said, you need a chainguide! I use C.Sixx - south african and really good, but quite expensive! I also run a 38T up front and 36-11 cassette (29er), but also have a 36 and 34T, for when the course has some proper climbs.

But go and google 'sram xx1' ;)

Thanks guys, keen to try it out now! Based on my experience with my 2*10 29r I reckon I would need a 28 or 30 front with the 11-32 rear to manage the home to Rietvlei XC course and back ....

Seems I may have sourced the chain guide so just need to find chainring to fit my XT or SLX crank (the same I guess)

Thanks guys, keen to try it out now! Based on my experience with my 2*10 29r I reckon I would need a 28 or 30 front with the 11-32 rear to manage the home to Rietvlei XC course and back ....

Seems I may have sourced the chain guide so just need to find chainring to fit my XT or SLX crank (the same I guess)

I'd spec up to at least a 32 dude... 30 is very small up front...

PAUL chainkeeper !

Just make sure you specify seat tube diameter.

Grant of Single Speed SA brings them in.

Solid machined alu. No plastic.

I'd spec up to at least a 32 dude... 30 is very small up front...

I'm just thinking that I do need the 'granny, granny' at a few places on that XC course and can't manage all of it on my normal middle chainring ...... so something a bit smaller than that would help?

I'm just thinking that I do need the 'granny, granny' at a few places on that XC course and can't manage all of it on my normal middle chainring ...... so something a bit smaller than that would help?

Fair enough... Just don't be surprized when you're spinning faster than tazz on the downs...

Fair enough... Just don't be surprized when you're spinning faster than tazz on the downs...

Well now you got me thinking it may be worthwhile just going with the 32 since I have it and see how it goes. If it is an issue then get something smaller!

Ok that's that settled, hope I get the chain guide pronto then :)

Hey NSBB

My GT Zaskar training bike that I ride at Rietvlei & Thaba is a 1x10.

34t up front and 11-36 at the back...

Wrt the chain keeper - all the local options are R500+... I managed to get an N-Gear jump stop through a friend off eBay -cost me R190.

Thanks Baker Man! My legs are not quite at your level though ....

Anyway the debate is sort of settled as I have been able to get hold of this guide from my good mate Thug! It however has a minimum chainwheel size of 32 ... will definitely get the 11-34 out then :)

post-271-0-38884100-1341432087.jpg

So a quick check on Sheldon Brown's (RIP) gear calculator shows that ....

29" 26*36 = 1.5

26" 32*34 = 1.8

29" 26*11 = 5.0

26" 32*11 = 5.5

The extra 'legs' for the downs and flats will be welcome but the mere .3 increase in the 'grandma' gear may hurt the legs a little but lets see, hopefully get it built over the weekend. Collecting some parts today and tomorrow!