Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

By now most of you will know about and probably have ridden the established options

• Gravity Dropper
  • Maverick Speedball (Joplin's predecessor)
  • Crank Brothers Joplin
  • KS *various*
  • RockShox Reverb

New to the market

• X-Fusion
  • RS Stealth
  • KS Lev
  • Giant
  • Specialized

Coming Soon

• Fox D.O.S.S.

What's even better is more and more well-known companies with good reps are getting on board.
Thomson
http://www.bikerumor...mountain-bikes/

e*thirteen
http://www.bikeradar...thirteen-34447/

All of this can only be great news for us. Surely prices will come down and tech & availability will go up.

Edited by Iwan Kemp

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

help! too.many.choices!

...so let me narrow it down a little

By now most of you will know about and probably have ridden the established options

1. Gravity Dropper - works, but looks like a 90's fork... ugly!
  2. Maverick Speedball (Joplin's predecessor) - probably discontinued
  3. Crank Brothers Joplin - It's Crap Brothers.
  4. KS *various* - Viable option (Especially i950 and i& for 27.2mm)
  5. RockShox Reverb - Viable option

New to the market

1. X-Fusion - TBD
  2. RS Stealth - awesome but doesn't work with all frames
  3. KS Lev - Super Awesome, but doesn't suit all wallets
  4. Giant - TBD

Coming Soon

1. Fox D.O.S.S. - Proto's only had 2 height positions. Also has 2 levers. If final product is like that, then not that great an option

What's even better is more and more well-known companies with good reps are getting on board.

Thomson

http://www.bikerumor...mountain-bikes/

e*thirteen

http://www.bikeradar...thirteen-34447/

All of this can only be great news for us. Surely prices will come down and tech & availability will go up.

hmmm... looks kinda like the KS and Joplin. Would also be interested to know what people think. Downside though is the 110mm travel. Most now days are 125mm, with 150mm soon to be the new bar!

Was wondering does it matter if you dont run your seatpost to high already.Think max my normal seatpost sticks like 140mm out seatube.So i could use a 110mm dropper & only need 30mm of the dropper out of the seatube >? if that makes any sense :mellow:

Was wondering does it matter if you dont run your seatpost to high already.Think max my normal seatpost sticks like 140mm out seatube.So i could use a 110mm dropper & only need 30mm of the dropper out of the seatube >? if that makes any sense :mellow:

It does. My KS is in my seat tube almost up to the collar. I think it sticks out about 30-50mm. That allows me the full 125mm drop.

Likewise... my AM bike is a large frame with quite a big standover height. I run the reverb with only about 40mm bewteen clamp and collar. When I jump the bike I still get the occasional "tap" from the saddle (especially if I've been ridiing one of my other bikes (which have low standovers).

I also feel than an extra 25mm travel on the reverb (totalling 150mm) would be nice, as when it is extended, it's still a tad low.

You left out the Spech dropper post that, from what I have heard from riders using them, is that they are rather good.

You left out the Spech dropper post that, from what I have heard from riders using them, is that they are rather good.

New to the market no5. I think Patches quoted me before I fixed it. I've heared that they work good, but are prone to blow seals and loose performance without TLC. Much like their forks...

KS Lev - Super Awesome, but doesn't suit all wallets

The KS Lev will retail above R3.5k. :eek:

The KS Lev will retail above R3.5k. :eek:

I know :( *weeps quietly in corner*

Edited by patches

That's nuts. Yeah it's a cool solution, but a Reverb costs SUBSTANTIALLY less.

I spoke to a certain LBS and apparently the reverbs that have come back for repairs vs those sold is rather high.

I spoke to a certain LBS and apparently the reverbs that have come back for repairs vs those sold is rather high.

I know the 2011 ones (identified by silver collar) had some issues. But sadly I must report that my 2012 (identified by black collar) has made a trip to the repair man.

Yep, I hear so too.

I will take a deep breath and pay for the Lev.... May have to sell a couple of my i950R's to justify it.