Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

Cutting the tube down the required 15mm is the right solution in this case. Check some Youtube videos on how to do this the right way and you would have a proper installation.

Putting a shim in just feels like a bit of a bodge.

Funny.

That's the EXACT opposite of what I would recommend. Taking a hacksaw to a frame feels like a bodge to me.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Brand X dropper from CRC, identical to the Lyne product. It's possible to add a 13mm stopper to the internal piston that would simply prevent it from rising to full extension (essentially making it a 107mm dropper). That could work for you?

Thanks, that could work, and would be the ideal solution. Any ideas where I could get such a stopper? Will ask Lyne too.

I have the Brand X dropper from CRC, identical to the Lyne product. It's possible to add a 13mm stopper to the internal piston that would simply prevent it from rising to full extension (essentially making it a 107mm dropper). That could work for you?

Shoot, so just checked with Lyne, and apparently that won't work with their droppers.

Some advice please. I need to get a dropper post for my new bike. Preferably internal routing, and would be a size 31.6. The Lyne Components dropper would be perfect and be in my budget.

The shortest dropper Lyne have is the 120mm (apparently the 31.6 x 100mm has been discontinued). Looking at their sizing charts, the minimum distance needed between the seat clamp and saddle rail is 183mm for it to fit.

Now the problem. I have measured my bike and I have 170mm between seat clamp and saddle rail. The 100mm would have fitted, but not the 120mm dropper.

Other makes that have 31.6 x 100mm seem to be far and few between, or beyond my budget at the moment. So far, these appear to be my options:

1. Get the 30.9 x 100mm internal dropper, with a shim (this appears to be the most sensible), but what are the drawbacks to this?

2. Cut the seat tube down about 15mm (bike is second hand so won't affect any warranties, and I have seen this been done before).

3. Anything other options or advice?

TIA

Get the 30.9 with a shim. I ran mine for a long time, with no issues

Funny.

That's the EXACT opposite of what I would recommend. Taking a hacksaw to a frame feels like a bodge to me.

Agreed, "taking a hacksaw to a frame" is a bound to come out crappy.

But doing it with the right tools will look like a finished job.

Shoot, so just checked with Lyne, and apparently that won't work with their droppers.

Yeah I doubt they'd have a factory part for that, but it could work. You'd have to make up the stopper yourself. If you remove the inner seatpost sleeve from the outer sleeve and add a 13mm shim to the inner sleeve, it will stop it rising all the way up.

Thanks for the responses guys, I will probably go with the 30.9 with the shim.

Besides the Lyne option, does anyone have experience with the Satori Sorata Pro droppers http://www.satoribike.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=80&cid=15&f=14. Going for R1600 at CWC... https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/satori-sorata-pro-dropper-post

. I know Constantia Uitsig Bike Park also had them in stock, but can't find any reviews online for them?

post-62386-0-05865400-1530256902_thumb.jpg

post-62386-0-72615400-1530257018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Piston ZA

Those Satori droppers look identical to the Rapide ControlTower droppers. Anyone have any experience with Rapide's droppers?

post-62386-0-47478900-1530263679_thumb.jpg

Do Morewood still even exist?!

Sold by two wheels trading.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Anybody know who the agents are for Raceface droppers? Is it worth fixing? It comes up half way and then needs a push to come up all the way. Once up it doesn't slide down.