Best MTB Grips ?

zniper

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

113 posts on this topic. I honestly don't realise there was much to say about grips. 

Grips are as personal as shoes and helmets…. But my go-to is Burgtec Bartender grips.

In my very humble experience, I only buy lock on grips with a lock ring on the inside (stem end) of the grip and a hard, closed end.

There are plenty of options like this. I have no real preference, but I found ESI grips and grips with plastic bar end plugs just fall apart if you crash and when you leave your bike resting (drive side down, obviously) on the ground while filling up with mountain fresh or helping people trail side.

The hard, closed ends of the lock on grips last. 

What I definitely don't recommend are lock on grips with clamps on both ends. 

I also poo poo ergo grips. I think it's a work around holding/leaning on your bars too much instead of riding/steering from your hips.

I currently have a set of flanged DMR deathgrips, a set of NS Hold Fast (best grips I've ever used) and a set of Fabric 50/01 ribbed grips.

All of them are really good. They also slide off and on easily of you have a shifter clamp (or other accessory) that doesn't have a hinged jaw clamp.

Anyway, that's me. But like John Snow, I know nothing 

@Steady Spin thanks for the insight - sounds like a nice little colour scheme you've got going there, what colour is the new paint job?

@RobbyB thanks, that's what I'd heard too, great relief in exchange for a few pennies. 

@kerradoh thanks for the advice, super excited to finally get out there on the trails. I'm one of those 'professional' researcher types, very much to my own detriment. Spend 5 months researching grips, creating spreadsheets, only to finally make a choice and there's no stock anymore. Enter another 5 months of research. Pathetic really 😂 

@MTBRIDER1234 @MajG @Eddy Gordo @gemmerbal @ichnusa thanks for the comments, links etc, noted. 🙌

@RossTopher that's exactly it, I know they're 'just grips' but at R500 a set, I don't want to only get it right on my 5th brand/model. Hence asking here so I can hopefully get something that works at leats within the first 3 tries 😆

@MORNE  @Jewbacca all those options look great, thanks for sharing! Makes sense having solid ends, I suspect I'll be hitting the floor a few times while I figure this all out.