Elliptical chain ring

MTB ker

I noticed yesterday, watching the TDF, that Wiggins' TT bike had an elliptical chain ring. Is there a benefit and are these things only used on TT bikes?

There is a (claimed) benefit. They claim to help eliminate the dead spot in the pedal stroke and help put down power more efficiently. Many disciplines have started using elliptical chainrings, though it seems there is much debate about them still.

Have a read through this study done in 2010 on elliptical vs. normal chainrings over 10km. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21266731

Quick summary of the study: they don't provide any benefit

Additionally, read: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11404667. Quick summary: better over 1km in a track cycling situation.

I guess it is really up to personal rider preference.

Edited by Kevin vd Merwe

looks very weird though

G

There is a (claimed) benefit. They claim to help eliminate the dead spot in the pedal stroke and help put down power more efficiently. Many disciplines have started using elliptical chainrings, though it seems there is much debate about them still.

Have a read through this study done in 2010 on elliptical vs. normal chainrings over 10km. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21266731

Quick summary of the study: they don't provide any benefit

Additionally, read: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11404667. Quick summary: better over 1km in a track cycling situation.

I guess it is really up to personal rider preference.

looks very weird though

Couldn't agree more. Like the chains always going to fall off or something. Then there's the issue that it causes with some people's knees. :wacko:

I don't believe any scientific study linked to a manufacturer's web page. Sounds too much like the Power Balance Band mantra to me.

I will believe it when is shows better results consistently in practical use.

There is a reason the biopace concept died in the 90s.

Why bring it back again...

apparently they're different though...who knows :wacko:

I noticed yesterday, watching the TDF, that Wiggins' TT bike had an elliptical chain ring. Is there a benefit and are these things only used on TT bikes?

Wiggins won the TT - there's the benefit. ;)

The general idea behind them is the same and both are oval.

But as far as I know, using clock digits as a reference, one was oval at 6/12 and the other at 3/9.

Apparently that makes all the difference. ;)

Edited by Thomo

Burry gebruik dit, en as Burry dit gebruik dan moet dit werk. :whistling:

Burry has the South African agency for Rotor Rings

I have a set of biopace rings on a shelf - bring a set of rotors and we can compare - the only difference I see is the rotors have adjustment on where the 'bulge' of the rotor sits is, while the old biopace did not.

But it is fundamentally the same idea, and I doubt you would really notice a big difference while pedalling.

Of course - Biopace died a death, mostly due to many complaints of knee problems related to using the rings - what I will say is that - for me - round rings are easier to spin at high rpm >110 (I think) because they seem to create less 'bounce' in the saddle - of course, that is totally unscientific and just my personal feeling using the trusted 'seat-of-pants-meter'

So we all went back to round rings ...

Sounds too much like the Power Balance Band mantra to me.

Are you implying that the Power Balance Band doesn't work ???

Suggest you go have a look at the bank accounts of the inventors............