At last, an awesome race with 99% flowing singletrack ...

How much are the SAS boards?

SAS supplies the SAS Number Boards - visit their website http://www.saseeding.co.za/default.aspx. I believe its about R30 for the board. With the XCOSA races we use the back of the board and provide you with a sticker for that, indicating race cat, age and number. Alternatively you can use our permanent XCOSA Race Series board, available for R10 a board.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAS supplies the SAS Number Boards - visit their website http://www.saseeding...za/default.aspx. I believe its about R30 for the board. With the XCOSA races we use the back of the board and provide you with a sticker for that, indicating race cat, age and number. Alternatively you can use our permanent XCOSA Race Series board, available for R10 a board.

Just had a very fruitful discussion with Fritz - SAS Number Boards will again be available on-line from SAS website from Monday.

A race with 99% singletrack sounds like a big traffic jam to me. Where will people pass each other. Surely there needs to be more than 1% of the trail where people can pass?

A race with 99% singletrack sounds like a big traffic jam to me. Where will people pass each other. Surely there needs to be more than 1% of the trail where people can pass?

You're right - singletrack does not imply no overtaking opportunity! Furthermore, you ride in your own age category, meaning no "mass starts", and the guy lapped by the leader must clear the track. That's the nature of XCO. Come try it, you'll be amazed at how much fun it is. Join the skills workshop on 21 Jul to "test" the trail - that's why we started the series: to make people experience that XCO is not "too difficult" ...

Detail on the skills workshop on 21 Jul 12 below. For those not able to make the skills workshop, come ride the route on Friday, 27 Jul 12, that is official route training as well as race registration at the race track from 9-16h00. Its imperative that you get to know the route a bit as some parts may come as a surprise ...

Remember to bring your SAS number board along if you have one. If not, a permanent race number for the series is available for R10.

post-8054-0-85579700-1342090673.jpg

On another post somewhere I saw somebody comment about 160mm of travel was nicer for some of the drop off's...

Is the route technical with drop off's etc that are not so much novice friendly?

On another post somewhere I saw somebody comment about 160mm of travel was nicer for some of the drop off's...

Is the route technical with drop off's etc that are not so much novice friendly?

A 100mm travel bike is ideal for a typical XCO track. The tracks we use are aimed at getting people to enjoy XCO, and that means FLOW. The Grand Finale on 24 Nov will perhaps have some challenges ... For this race there is one mild drop with a chicken run, but NOTHING that will break your bike or your bones!

Edited by Enticement

Last question - will CSA sell day licences on the day or should we schlep beforehand?

It is a CSA sanctioned race so all riders should pay their "taxes", however, this time round it will probably not be checked! Ideally you should join a club in order to be able to buy a licence - that's only R75 per year. If you buy a day licence its R35 for the day. Visit http://www.xcosa.co.za/clubhub, select the Join Now button and fill-out your details. Membership is free, however there are other options as well! Then you visit http://csams.cyclingsa.com/home.aspx, register and buy your CSA licence on-line

A 100mm travel bike is ideal for a typical XCO track. The tracks we use are aimed at getting people to enjoy XCO, and that means FLOW. The Grand Finale on 24 Nov will perhaps have some challenges ... For this race there is one mild drop with a chicken run, but NOTHING that will break your bike or your bones!

Will try and get to the skills workshop to check it out, with a view to riding future events. :thumbup:

Detail for Saturday's skills workshop - its free and we will focus on the obstacle of the race route ...post-8054-0-86269400-1342426079.jpg

stupid question I know :) I'm not familliar with XCO at all but I get that it's a lap based race?

what's the total distance being done? is it a discipline for the fitter, more advanced rider or can slow nervous nellies participate too?

this might already have been asked, but can non-race participants also attend the skills clinic?

stupid question I know :) I'm not familliar with XCO at all but I get that it's a lap based race?

what's the total distance being done? is it a discipline for the fitter, more advanced rider or can slow nervous nellies participate too?

this might already have been asked, but can non-race participants also attend the skills clinic?

Hi Anine

No stupid questions - that is the mere reason why we have started with the XCOSA series: to introduce mountain bikers to real mountain biking ...

The race is age category based, implying each category race a specific number of laps around a predetermined and very clearly marked route, also indicating what type of obstacle and the risk involved is lying immediately ahead. A lap is around 5,5km long and the number of laps are determined by how many laps the average rider will complete within more-or-less 90 minutes. Elites do around 8 laps whereas Masters do 4, Nippers and Sprogs only 2 (see below).

Due to the nature of the discipline, the majority of mountain bike riders perceive that XCO (cross country Olympic as it is the only Olympic mountain bike discipline) is too technical, which it is not - to the contrary it really teaches you how to handle your bike! That is why we do the skills workshop, and you are welcome to join even if you decide to sit out for the next race. Just be warned, it is addictive ...

During race day the MC for the day will throughout explain the smaller detail of XCO, like when a slower rider gets lapped s/he should clear the track, etc.

post-8054-0-28334900-1342435593.jpg

Hi Anine

No stupid questions - that is the mere reason why we have started with the XCOSA series: to introduce mountain bikers to real mountain biking ...

Sweet! I've sent you guys a email re the skills clinic