Rewiring a bike rack plug

Lukep

I recently got a new car that has the German towbar plug and not the std SA one.

The bike rack I have has the STD plug but came with the plug that I need I just need to know how to rewire it.

Any diagrams or step by step insturctions welcome

When I bought my Passat last year I had the same problem. Went back to the agents and they gave me an adaptor plug. Thule also sells adapter plugs.

You can get adapter plugs from Bosal as well - probably any towbar show has them.

Depending on your negotiation skills, the one from the agents would be free ;)

The adaptor plugs are for changing the "size" of the socket. You will possibly still need to re-wire.

Have you hooked your car up to a local to a trailer to make sure that LH and RH indicators are actually aligned. If not - re-wire the car. I've just gone thru this process myself

• 8 years later...

I have this:

This saved me after arriving in Bonnievale for DC last night realizing I had pulled all the lugs off the connector while loading the bikes, this worked like a charm to figure out where all 7 inners needed to go ????

Best is to get yourself a test light and identify the wires on your current plug and just rewire. If you in the southern suburbs of Cape Town, I will gladly assist you.

Best is to get yourself a test light and identify the wires on your current plug and just rewire. If you in the southern suburbs of Cape Town, I will gladly assist you.

My bad, just saw it’s a 8 yearly post.

Apparently SRAM and Thule are collabing to make the first wireless AXS standalone tail light bike rack product, the tail light cluster connects to an OBD-II dongle. ????

Jokes aside the way in which you connect your bike rack light cluster to a car is so primitive, honestly can’t believe the hastle I had to go through to get it working.

I have this:

Might be 8 years old on here but works like a charm.Done caravans,bike trailers and off road trailers as well as bike racks.Simple wiring diagram.

• 5 months later...

This saved me after arriving in Bonnievale for DC last night realizing I had pulled all the lugs off the connector while loading the bikes, this worked like a charm to figure out where all 7 inners needed to go ????

sorry do you have the wiring diagram that you could send me please