Which are your best Jhb training ride road routes in the N/S/E/W?

vigilant

Folks have posted their favourite training routes in the past, but I am sure there have been changes in the preferences due to general safety safety and road conditions.

I am looking for the best training ride routes in the North, South East and West.

The reason for this is there is the option of having a series of set routes with marshals on patrol in the very near future.

Please add the total ride kms for reference.

Ok let me rephrase this request:

There is a sponsour who has laid out the funds to have a weekly marshalled cycle training ride in Johannesburg and surounds.

Routes need to be investigated and 'your' input is vital as there is no point in setting up marshalled routes where folks are not interested in riding.

Any questions just PM me otherwise post your suggested routes and lets see what we can get arranged.

PS It is free with no small print!

Bedfordview raceday on Saturday mornings would be the best on the East. Of course, they wont listen to your marshals.

Can we get new bikes from this sponsor as well?

Possibly... yellow, single speed and chunky tyres with matching mudguards...

Bedfordview raceday on Saturday mornings would be the best on the East. Of course, they wont listen to your marshals.

I fear not listening to marshals is a common trait and not an issue...

Who do they listen to?

Lido route in the south Jhb is well established.

Thanks scotty! Yes it is a good route (the long and the short routes). I helped to get that route going (around the time of the World Cup - and it was brrrr cooold!). Finding a cold dead horse on the road one Sunday was a moment to remember.

As that route is already covered regarding marshalling / safety activities and there would be no reason or indeed any benefit to double up the coverage.

Lots of posts regarding road safety concerns and dangers whilst cycling posted on the Hub.

The offer:

Free, safety marshal services on the routes in your selected routes and area.

- 172 views thats great. But no requests or suggestions.

Hey Vigilant... This sounds awesome...

I mainly ride MTB but have rescently got myself a road bike and would love to have a safe route in and around Bedforview... I would love to know of any of these routes...

Hey Vigilant... This sounds awesome...

I mainly ride MTB but have rescently got myself a road bike and would love to have a safe route in and around Bedforview... I would love to know of any of these routes...

Thanks Dale,

Let us know a few routes that are popular within the area and we will scout the possibiblity of it becoming included.

Hi Folks

Please take this request from Vigilant seriously.

This is YOUR chance to have YOUR favourite route marshalled, with either rolling marshalls following the groups or static marshalls closing down intersections for you to get through safely and in groups without the groups having to split up because a few cyclists got caught at a red robot. The type of marshalling that will be offered will depend on the route, safety issues, traffic volumes etc.

Thinkbike, in conjunction with the sponsor, are here to lookout for YOUR safety.

If we do not have your inputs and support, this whole initiative will fall flat and it will as usual be YOU against THE TRAFFIC.

Please plot routes in Google Maps, Google Earth or whatever tickles your fancy and post a link to the site so that we can start perparing a few routes. Otherwise we will decide for you where we want you to ride.