Specialized Camber 26" vs. Specialized Camber 29er

Buzzer

I'd like to get some thoughts on two issues and I am sure these have been discussed in great detail already.

I currently have an Epic Expert 29er and have been riding for a few months now. I have been to Kings Kloof a few times now and feel that as soon as I start riding more techincal trails I struggle with the Epic especially on the tights switchbacks.

I was looking at possibly getting a second bike or replacing the Epic with a Camber as it seems to be a lot more forgiving and an easier ride. The 1st question is if that is a good idea?

2nd Question. I can get a Camber Expert 26" for quite a good price, but am very tentative as I am not sure if I should rather go for the 29er.

Any thoughts?

Tight switchbacks / corners are a weakness of 29ers (in general). Seems like that section of the course might be better suited to a 26er. Or you might just have to adjust your riding style for that section. There are some good training videos available on riding switchbacks.

A longer travel bike will enable you to ride more technical trails, so if that is what the majority of your riding is on, then I'd say go for it. It'll also be more comfortable and forgiving in the long run. As for the switchback issue, you'll have to look at the bike's wheelbase, and the 29er may not necessarily be longer than the 6er... Case in point - giant trance 9er is shorter in wheelbase than the 6er, which points to more maneuverability.

Me? I'd go for the camber 9er, or wait for the trance 29er to come out. Or, you could get the tallboy LT and move your parts across, sell your fork and get a 130/140 29er fork...

Lean into the corners more, just as the corner starts, you must almost fall into the corner and then catch yourself with the bike. Also, a shorter stem helped me a lot.

I have the same problem with my giant anthem 29 in tight fast corners .Too much weight on the front wheel .Your cg must move back and lower on the inside of the corner .Try and keep your upperbody upright but your bike lower at an angle.It takes some time before it is 2d nature.Or get a less racing geometry bike

Lean into the corners more, just as the corner starts, you must almost fall into the corner and then catch yourself with the bike. Also, a shorter stem helped me a lot.

Leaning into corners like Valentino Rossi leads to a face full of mud...