Low blood pressure

So... the wife seems to suffer from low blood pressure. Funny thing is it only rears it's ugly head while cycling.

If we pace ourselves and take it easy at around 10km/h she is fine but the second the pace ups a bit and she starts to strain a bit her pressure drops and she feels faint.

Any advice?

how do you know it blood pressure? have you tested it after a workout?

Maybe she's not eating enough or blood sugar is too low?

Thanks. Now to convince her it's a good idea to go to the doctor.

Anybody specific you guys can recommend for the stress ECG?

how do you know it blood pressure? have you tested it after a workout?

Maybe she's not eating enough or blood sugar is too low?

She has had this problem before. It would happen at random but went away. Now only happens during exercise.

She has had this problem before. It would happen at random but went away. Now only happens during exercise.

Does she eat before a ride? It sounds more like a blood sugar issue or something elsqe rather than low blood pressure.

If someone has low blood pressure, they will feel it when waking up in the morning as your blood pressure drops when you sleep.

Normally when exercising your blood pressure rises rather than drops. When my blood pressure is low, I normally struggle for the first 10 minutes and then start to feel better.

+1 on Ratty's advice. My wife suffers from hypoglycaemia, which also causes low bp due to erratic blood sugar levels (too low after / during hard efforts) and the only way of combating it is by eating low gi stuff and keeping herself hydrated. She zonks out if she hasn't eaten for a while.

If we pace ourselves and take it easy at around 10km/h she is fine but the second the pace ups a bit and she starts to strain a bit her pressure drops and she feels faint.

Any advice?

The first thing the Drs/Cardiologists ask is do you get dizzy when exercising. I am not sure how you can measure a blood pressure drop unless you are all wired up to monitors. The question of blood sugar is dependant on how long after she started to exercise the symptoms occur. Most people have reserve of 1hr before they start using their bodies reserves.

It's much more likely to be low blood sugar levels rather than BP (which is a good thing - you really don't want her blood pressure to drop when exercising). Any of the cardiovascular reasons for feeling faint when exercising are all pretty serious problems (usually problems with the heart valves in younger patients). If you're sure it's not hypoglycaemia then take her to a GP who can assess whether she needs to see a cardiologist for an echo or not.

So... the wife seems to suffer from low blood pressure. Funny thing is it only rears it's ugly head while cycling.

Any advice?

Does she feel dizzy (light headed) / likes she'll pass out when she stand up quickly from sitting on haunches? It can be BP related then.

As an aside, how are her iron levels?

Edited by RoboCyclist

So much info. Thanks all. Really appreciate it.

She hasnt had a problem with getting up in the mornings or if she gets up suddenly. She always experiences the dizzy spells, nausea and loss of hearing within the first 45 to 60 minutes of riding. Also on climbs or flats when the heartrate increases and her breathing becomes more rapid.

Guess it's time to head back to the GP. Will also check her blood sugar this weekend.

I suffer sometimes as well the solution....salted liquorice... helps me maintain much better...

Yet - have had low BP occasionally after exercise (my BP is always a tad on low side anyhow). Doctor reckoned it was sweating and not putting enough salt back in. Steppped up my electrolytes, and specifically salt and haven't had a bad case since.

My doc also suggested liquorice for just general times - that helps too, although I suspect a part of that could be an energy boost from the sugar in it too.

I wouldn't rule out energy depletion from lack of fuel either - especially if it happens a lot, that is of course unless you know she's taking enough on board before during and after a ride.

Last thing is she may have a bug. I was a keen skier when in Uk, but one trip I got an hour or two in and had nothing left. GP checked me over when I got home and found I had glandular fever. They'll check for that for sure tho if energy levels are low - it's one of the first on their list I think.