Road wheel advice

cadenceblur

Hi Guys

Need some advice, I am thinking about getting a new set of wheels - but really don't know where to start! I currently have a set of Shimano RS10's which have served me well for the past two and a half years. I am not looking to spend more than R4000. Looking for something durable ( weigh +- 97kg) and with a good road feel / roll.

Is my price range too low for a decent wheel upgrade?

I've seen some deals on CRC for Easton 70's for R3300 a set, also a whole range of Shimanoo RS's .

How much do you have to replace one rim/fix spokes? Are you going to be racing or just enjoying yourself? shimanos fine for average cruiser enjoying himself eastons for the more involved carbon for the... buy alex rims and spray it gold nobody would have those..and cost you R100.00! :clap:

I haven't had any problems whatsoever on the current wheels - had Alex rims and got rid of them as I was breaking spokes like it was going out of fashion.

Try to stretch your budget for EA 90, I got a pair for around 7k, or American Classic 420 aeros. Also check out Kysirium Elites around 4.5 k for 1.5 kg wheels, not bad.

Try to stretch your budget for EA 90, I got a pair for around 7k, or American Classic 420 aeros. Also check out Kysirium Elites around 4.5 k for 1.5 kg wheels, not bad.

That's a good price :clap: ...a buddy is looking at getting some ...where they going for 4.5 k ?

Avron Sirin @ Cycle Traders sold a Giant with Kysis on for R5k! and sometimes he has some sweet ol rims in the shop ..

Edited by greenlight

That's a good price :clap: ...a buddy is looking at getting some ...where they going for 4.5 k ?

Just checked again 5799.00 at CWC. Must have been a special when I was checking last. Still great wheels and not too far off the OP budget.

Hi

Have a look around for some Mavic Kysriums or Campy Shamal Ultra. You can get some very good deals on 2nd hand wheel and they normally retail for about R9000-R16000 depending on the model. I picked up a set of Kysrium SL premiums with ceramic bearings for R3300 in very good nick a few months ago for the wife.

I would recommend this kind of deal as you are getting a very good solid strong and fast/stiff wheel for a fraction of the price. Good for racing and last you ages.

My Shamals took me through an entire season of cobblestone racing in Germany one year and never broke a spoke or ran untrue. I was 75kg then so with that will last you well on a 95kg ride on normal road.

Nothing wrong with EA70's i've had a set on my road bike for a year now and they still in going strong even with my 100kg plus weight punishing them.

Thanks for the input guys, also conscious of 'over capitalising lr over speccing 'my bike, riding a scott speedster , but i guess a good wheelset is a good investment as well.