Cleat replacement blues?

SwissVan

i had the Look A5.1 pedals (i think or was 3.1) and then purchased Keo pedals. i put the A5.1 on my training bike but the cleats that came with the Keo pedals are not compatible with the other Look pedals would these cleats be the Keo Grips?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the Look A5.1 pedals (i think or was 3.1) and then purchased Keo pedals. i put the A5.1 on my training bike but the cleats that came with the Keo pedals are not compatible with the other Look pedals would these cleats be the Keo Grips?

You can only yse Keo cleats with keo pedals they are not compatible with the other look pedals. I did the same old look pedals on the trainer with old Sidi's and old look pedals with Keo's on bike with new SIDI'sBig%20smile

You can only yse Keo cleats with keo pedals they are not compatible with the other look pedals. I did the same old look pedals on the trainer with old Sidi's and old look pedals with Keo's on bike with new SIDI'sBig%20smile

i then assume that the A5.1 (or A3.1) has been taken off the market!!! because i couldn't find them on any of the online shops.

i then assume that the A5.1 (or A3.1) has been taken off the market!!! because i couldn't find them on any of the online shops.

Are you refering to the pedals or the cleats?

Hmmm, interesting, but dont help me.

I have the old type look pedals and cleats (and I dont intend changing - theres no reason) and Nike shoes.

Now what?

I hear you swiss, its a real hassle, they can put a man on the moon, make fuel from coal, send a diver into Mariners trench and send electronic mail everywhere instantly, but they cant find a better way to change a R100.00 cleat.

Someone is not applying their mind here.Big%20smile

Hmmm' date=' interesting, but dont help me.

I have the old type look pedals and cleats (and I dont intend changing - theres no reason) and Nike shoes.

Now what?

I hear you swiss, its a real hassle, they can put a man on the moon, make fuel from coal, send a diver into Mariners trench and send electronic mail everywhere instantly, but they cant find a better way to change a R100.00 cleat.

[/quote']

mmmm think i need a bone here. Are you referring to the memory cleats for which your Nike's are not compatible??????????????????

I used to ride with Look Keo's... but after struggling to get a new set of cleats positioned for months it was suggested I try speedplays... honestly the best move I have ever made!

The big flaw with the Look cleat is that you have one triangle shapped plastic cleat and when you move it in any way it affects the side to side placement, the heel in/ heel out position and the for and aft position.

With speedplay all three of those variables are completely independant. You have a plate which you set for how far forward you want your cleat. Once you have that you tighten it up and thats it you never fiddle with that again. Then you put the cleat on and adjust the side to side position of the cleat... one you got that tighten the screws and leave it. Then there are 2 small screws which determine your float, this is the real beauty... the one screw determines how far in your heel goes the other one determines how far out you heel can go... which results in completely customizable float...

After trying and failing for months to get completely comfortable with my replacement set of cleats for Look Keos, it only took 10 minutes to get the speedplay pedals completely dialed in... haven't looked back since!

Now what?

[/quote']

mmmm think i need a bone here. Are you referring to the memory cleats for which your Nike's are not compatible??????????????????

As I understand the memory cleats are only applicable to Kleos not the old version Look cleat  - is this right?

Anyway as my shoes are not compatible, my question still remains - why cant they find an easy universal method to change cleats and keep original setting.

Why only compatible with some shoes - Cannondale and many  bike manufacturers dont make shoes, they buy them out and brand them - and I dont think Cannondale has a huge shoe market, so it seems rather silly to have them as a compatible partner.

Nike on the other hand, do make shoes and sell a lot more than Cannondale (I would imagine) yet arnt partners??????Confused

Fanie - dis n gooie link daai maar help nie veel met n "fool proof" metode om cleats maaklik in die regte plek vas maak.

Actualy it was this very artical by JF that made me move my cleats all the  way back - problem was I did not remove the old position marking (I made with the perm marker pen) and did not record the new position.

In future I will:

1. Sukkel in the begining untill (some clever hubber provides a easy way) the right cleat postion is obtained, even if this means shoe onoffcleatlooseningtightening x 20 times.

2. Roughen up the sole and new cleat interface before fitting the cleat - Or buy the new Keo Gripper cleat.

3. Once the correct position is obtained take a permanent marker pen and trace the outline of the cleat on the sole, also make 3 reference marks on the cleat and sole that line up with each other (1 in front and 1 on each side of the cleat / sole).

4. At the next cleat change just line up the ref marks and outline, carefully tighten in place (provided the same type of cleat is used).

5. Use a small screw grade loctite on the cleat attach screws.

So who has a fool proof system to replace / adjust cleats, Look Keo in particular, must be suitable for a Type A human?

Swissvan what I do is to glue a piece of fine sandpaper under the cleat. Then put all the screws in lightly and position the cleat in its place.

Then I tighten each screw a little bit at a time. If you tighten 1 screw completely and then the next, the screwheads grip the cleat and twist it. if you tighten each screw a little bit at a time then the pressure is taken up gradually by each screw and the cleat cant slide around.

After trying and failing for months to get completely comfortable with my replacement set of cleats for Look Keos' date=' it only took 10 minutes to get the speedplay pedals completely dialed in... haven't looked back since!

[/quote']

Can these screws be tightened while the shoe is clipped in?

Or do you have to take the shoe out / off the pedal to tighten them?

Would be really smart if some rocketscientest could make an affordable pedal system with cleats that could be tightened while the shoe is clipped in....

But then again sending robot explorers to Mars is probably more important and easier Confused

Now what?

[/quote']

As I understand the memory cleats are only applicable to Kleos not the old version Look cleat  - is this right?

Anyway as my shoes are not compatible, my question still remains - why cant they find an easy universal method to change cleats and keep original setting.

Why only compatible with some shoes - Cannondale and many  bike manufacturers dont make shoes, they buy them out and brand them - and I dont think Cannondale has a huge shoe market, so it seems rather silly to have them as a compatible partner.

Nike on the other hand, do make shoes and sell a lot more than Cannondale (I would imagine) yet arnt partners??????Confused

I believe that soon all cycling shoes will have memory cleat slots in them. They will have to in order to keep their market share.

Had I not purchased new Sidi's then i would have modified my old SIDI's to cater for the memory cleat by cutting my own slot in the sole of the shoe. The Sole nut that fits in the sole can be purchased as a spare part, so all you need is the small screw, which you can get at any hardware store. As a Mechanical Engineer i can assure you that the small slot cut in the sole will not affect the rigidity of the sole while riding, because it is braced by the cleat at 3 points.

The standard LOOK cleat design had to be changed because their patent has run out and there are a lot of Pirate (copy) cleats on the market capitalising on LOOK technology. This is normal with manufacturers on all patented products. In order for LOOK to protect their market they redesigend the cleat with new genration pedals and slapped another long patent on the design. And added the benefit of a memeory cleat which no doubt has been patented as well. they also included the white PTFE wear strips on the new cleat as well as incorperating it into the old design cleat, which also no doubt is patented.

this new wear strip in my opinion works well, and i will never again use copy LOOK cleats, after all they cost about the same now anyway. So obv. this is what LOOK are wanting to achive. Win back customers who moved over to copy cleats.
madmarc2008-01-16 06:31:51

Fanie - dis n gooie link daai maar help nie veel met n "fool proof" metode om cleats maaklik in die regte plek vas maak.

Actualy it was this very artical by JF that made me move my cleats all the  way back - problem was I did not remove the old position marking (I made with the perm marker pen) and did not record the new position.

In future I will:

1. Sukkel in the begining untill (some clever hubber provides a easy way) the right cleat postion is obtained' date=' even if this means shoe onoffcleatlooseningtightening x 20 times.

2. Roughen up the sole and new cleat interface before fitting the cleat - Or buy the new Keo Gripper cleat.

3. Once the correct position is obtained take a permanent marker pen and trace the outline of the cleat on the sole, also make 3 reference marks on the cleat and sole that line up with each other (1 in front and 1 on each side of the cleat / sole).

4. At the next cleat change just line up the ref marks and outline, carefully tighten in place (provided the same type of cleat is used).

5. Use a small screw grade loctite on the cleat attach screws.

[/quote']

With the old (dumbass) screws supplied with the cleats you used a flat or star screwdriver to tighten them. You cannot get enough torque with a screwdriver, so I got some pan head allen cap screws from the hardware store and used an allen key to tighten them = problem solved!! But now i see the LOOK have looked and seen the light, because their new screws make allowance for the use of a allen keyClap

If you want a radical way of refitting your cleats without the hassles then try what i did a few years back.

I wrapped my shoes in gladwrap and made a plaster of paris mould of the soles fitted with cleats in the correct position. I then drilled holes in the mould at the position that the screws made indentations.

when fitting new cleats i mounted the cleat loosly and placed the mould over the sole and simply inserted an allen key to nip the screws tighter. remove the mould and tughten properly - used to take 10 minutes to change cleats.

After trying and failing for months to get completely comfortable with my replacement set of cleats for Look Keos' date=' it only took 10 minutes to get the speedplay pedals completely dialed in... haven't looked back since!

[/quote']

Can these screws be tightened while the shoe is clipped in?

Or do you have to take the shoe out / off the pedal to tighten them?

Would be really smart if some rocketscientest could make an affordable pedal system with cleats that could be tightened while the shoe is clipped in....

But then again sending robot explorers to Mars is probably more important and easier Confused

Your whole idea of screwing in cleats while they are clipped in does have one flaw... if your feet are clipped in to the pedals, then how are you going to get a screwdriver underneath the pedals to tighten the screws? if not for that limitation I am sure someone would have thought of it by now...

Hi, The Keo Grips are NEW in SA. They've got a black rubbery surface in both sides of the cleat. It's a non slip material that clings to your sole....and stick on the floor when you walk. It's the exact same shape as normal Keo Cleats...and their not compatible with Delta (PP range) pedals.