Where are all the REAL Bicycles ?

Scooter69

Hello All,

Plastic bicycles just do not do it for me.

Quality steel framed bicycles do not appear to be available in South Africa any more.

What quality factory made steel frames are readily available in South Africa right now ?.

Are there still any good bicycle frame makers left in South Africa ?, the name of "Gotty" Hansen springs to mind, (but then THAT was a long time ago) B) .

In my view good steel frames are superior to the overpriced aluminium and plastic (sorry, carbon :D ) frames that are available today.

Aluminium frames are a good second choice however.

My choice of frame materials (in order) are:-

Titanium

Steel

Aluminium

Who else feels as I do ?.

:D :D :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colnago has a Master still available as a 30th anniversary model if you want something Italian. Not sure if Francois Du Toit still makes bikes in Cpt.

Edited by MCipollini

If you're looking for Ti frames my opinion would be to go for the Merlin or Cove frames. Unfortunately I cannot tell you who supplies them in RSA but importing from UK shouldn't be an issue.

Du Toit still does the odd add frame and there are a decent number of steel mtb options available in 29er guise.

The on one boys have very good deals on roadie, mtb and hippie bikes that are ready to go off their website.

But if you ar looking for a local builder to measure you and build a bike frame to your spec then Du Toit would be your only real option locally.

Don't know about road bikes but for mtb try Cotic. There is also Curtiss in the UK who will build you any mtb frame you want out of steel. Not cheap though. I've got a Diamond Back Apex frame in the garage from 1993 if ya wanna buy it!

Hello All,

Quality steel framed bicycles do not appear to be available in South Africa any more.

What quality factory made steel frames are readily available in South Africa right now ?.

Are there still any good bicycle frame makers left in South Africa ?, the name of "Gotty" Hansen springs to mind, (but then THAT was a long time ago) B) .

In my view good steel frames are superior to the overpriced aluminium and plastic (sorry, carbon :D ) frames that are available today.

Titanium

Steel

Aluminium

My choices are (in order) ;)

1 Titanium

2 Titanium

3 Aluminium

Hello All,

Titanium

Steel

Aluminium

CIOCC are manufacturing the SAN Cristobal steel frames. One month lead time.

post-13075-0-71725600-1344508170.jpg

post-13075-0-80873300-1344508172.jpg

post-13075-0-87212200-1344508174.jpg