Garmin EDGE 800 Help

Stewart69uk

After buying my garmin 800 yesterday I'm not sure how to get the best out of it,

Do I need to load maps on ? are there trails I can follow using the garmin ?

I plan to use it on my mtb so was hoping to discover some new trails with it

Am i in the right direction or way off?

Are there any special features that will blow my mind ? the instruction book is very vague

thanks again

yeah you can go to everytrail.co.za and similar sites download the gpx files of the trails you want to do, and then just navigate away with your awesomeness new toy.

O.k Gave the Garmin it's first run out Last night

Awesome little toy if i do say so.

the 1 question i stillhave is .. the base map is very vague with only the main roads on, can I upload a detailed base map? so I can follow roads rather than the general direction ? more like the map on a car gps ?

thanks covie when I searched for everytrail.co.za it only came up with everytrail.com is this the same site ?

thanks just want to use the garmin to it's full potential.

Hi,

I have not got an 800 myself but did some research a while back on free base maps for the unit. You can do a Google search and there is lots of help out there to get free base maps onto the unit. You can also start at http://openmtbmap.org/ its has a lot of information you just need to dig a little.

Enjoy!

Unit comes, like you say with standard base maps, only showing major roads, so you will need to purchase your mapset.

You have 2 flavours that I know of, Garmaps, and Tracks 4 Africa. T4A is rumoured to be more detailed for offroad excursions. I myself have gotten Garmin's Topo and Rec maps. http://www.garmap.co.za/ I just felt it's a Garmin unit, stick to Garmaps. They are very detailed with roads and pitstops and points of interest.

There are a few software downloads you will need, like Basecamp and MapInstall, you will most likely come across the links once you have purchased and downloaded your Topo and Rec Garmaps.

You then pair the maps with your device and can copy them onto the Edge 800, you may need a micro SD memory card if the unit doesn't come with it.

On top of that you can download Garmin Birdseye maps for a (Roughly) R200 yearly license. This is like having google satellite photos overlaid on your basemaps or Garmaps. You pick a region you want, and it downloads a JPG and pops it on your GPS, when you ride there, you can see the trails and trees/buildings etc. Pretty neat if you are exploring.

Basecamp is very important to get everything to talk to one another, as well as loading or creating your own routes and waypoints.

Hope that helped :)

Awesome thanks Very Much will Defo look into the garmin route.

the birdseye maps look like an interesting addition

Is it worth paying the R1300 for the maps etc Is it a huge improvement ?

Yup it's a big layout the first time to buy maps, but I think the updates are R350 which isn't too bad, but I doubt I will be updated mine frequently as I mostly do MTB.

The Garmaps are a huge improvement over the base maps as you get all roads and points of interest, accomodation etc like you would in your car's unit.

Maybe you should get Birdseye first and if you find you need to navigate to lodges and points of interest, get the Garmaps afterwards. It's handy but I haven't done much exploring or found huge use for them since I bought mine ages ago :)

Thanks

Have just bought the Topo and Rec Garmaps bought them online at garmin website as there's are 2012 maps, easygis are 2011 maps.

now just have to download the 1gb

I don't know if the 800 works the same but on the edge 500, I normally go to garmin connect and search for new trails on specific area(van gaalens as an example) When I get one that I would like to try...I download to my unit as a course and then follow it.

Thanks

Have just bought the Topo and Rec Garmaps bought them online at garmin website as there's are 2012 maps, easygis are 2011 maps.

now just have to download the 1gb

Cool, don't forget to save your unlock code etc, you may need it again in future if you reformat you PC or whatnot :)

I get lost cycling round the block so my Garmin 705 works overtime and It's gotten me back a number of times when i cycle in areas i'm not familiar with.

Edited by scotty

Having problems downloading the maps from garmins website keeps downloading a 1/4 then stops and wants to run the exe file.

I've sent an email to garmin so hopefully they will get back to me with answer.

Having problems downloading the maps from garmins website keeps downloading a 1/4 then stops and wants to run the exe file.

I've sent an email to garmin so hopefully they will get back to me with answer.

Not 100% sure what your specific problem is, but I know I had some drama running the file, it would freeze at some point during the install. You have to UNZIP the file with the orange upside down triangle and then run the files from within there?! Other than that I can't help :)