Triathlon SA

Rolling Thunder

I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but are there any benefits of joining Triathlon SA?

I am not trying to make any teams so am i correct that membership would not benefit me.

I would also like to find out if a triathlon license applies to cycling and running or do you require different licenses for these separate disciplines as well?

Benefits are you dont have to pay day license at each on-road triathlon. If you do virtually every tri in the season in Gauteng, it will pay for itself, otherwise, no real benefit to be honest

I still take umbrance to having to pay for TSA to sanction an event, I have only ever seen that they piss a lot of people off, and I personally dont like them as a body

Otherwise, need to get seperate cycling and running licenses - just check if you do enough races to warrant it

Cycling license helpful for seeding in races like Argus etc to be able to start earlier and go faster, recommend it

Running not so much benefit-the license itself is cheap and the ASA is good, but I dont do enough road races to warrant the additional costs of having to join a running club as well, which is required

Next year I am dropping running license and just paying day license to race

Licensing can get very expensive especially if you are into Triathlon. Yes do you need separate licenses for running, cycling and of course TRI SA. Of course then the club fees tend to be expensive as well and can be as much as R800 per year in addition to your licensing costs.

The questions you have to ask yourself is How many events am I going to partake in ? Is licensing for these events compulsory or can I buy a day license? Is the cost for day licenses more than the annnual cost for a license ? What other benefits do I get by buying into the license scheme ?

Personally I think triathletes should pay a single license and this should replace the current running and cycling licenses. You should not have to register again for cycling and running. Currently I have paid TSA license and cycle license. I pay day license fees for runs and I am not a tri club member, dont really see any major benefit in doing so.

There has been a lot of discussion on the value of the licence fees and how TSA spends the money.In an effort to create an informed opinion, I have twice requested TSA to supply me with there latest financials. I am a paid up member and should be entitled to this information. Both requests were ignored.

The TSA Constitution, yes I did read it, actually devolves responsibility to its regional organisations. TSA it would appear does not deal with athletes, just the regional orgs.

Central Gauteng Triathlon has always had a very informative newsletter which indicates there are a lot of activities on the go. It also does not publish its Financial Statements for members via a website. None that I can find anyway.

The CGT AGM is next week, I will attend and encourage anyone interested to do so. On the agenda is the presentation of financial statements. It will be interesting to see what these reveal.

CGT AGM Notification- 29 August 2012.

It’s time for the Annual General Meeting of Central Gauteng Triathlon. This will take place at JEPPE QUONDAM, QUONDARIE ROOM, BOEING ROAD, BEDFORDVIEW, ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2012 AT 19h00. See further information in the attached document.

RSVP to -
with numbers attending please for seating arrangements.Food and Beverages are available from the Cash Bar if required.

Some further comments:

Both running and cycling require you to be a member of a club to obtain a licence. (This is new for cycling in 2012). It is compulsory to be a member of a running club to do events like Two Oceans and Comrades. Not sure if any cycling races have these requirements.

Triathlon has very few clubs that are proper clubs, run by volunteers for the benefit of the members. Most 'clubs' are actually 'teams' driven by a 'for profit entity' to spread the brand, eg Coaches and shops.

Races are run by 'for profit entities'. Most running and cycling races are run by clubs to raise funds for the club and charity. They are staffed by volunteers for no pay. Every cent goes to the club.

This is a double edged sword. When people are chasing profit, they are creative, passionate and will take risks. Triathlon has benefited enormously from this and the massive growth in the sport is evident. But it costs the athlete money.

By comparison, running is cheap to participate in. But personally I spent probably 30 hours of my time involved in race organisation this year and volunteered as a marshal on two other days. I enjoyed doing that so I don't see it as a cost. But ultimately it is a trade-off for cheaper events. That is the beauty of the volunteer system.

Garfield, why don't you join me at the AGM and you will be able to voice your concerns and ask the questions you need answered?

Me - I say PAH!

I belong to TSA through CGT. CGT have been brilliant - attend most events, coolerboxes and snacks, good team atmosphere, Craig is hard working etc.

TSA on the other hand don't really seem to add any value. I'm off to worlds soon...any assistance from TSA? Nope. I paid the lot. Do I have any choice about anything? Nope. I am forced to fly on their flights, stay in their hotel etc etc. I could have saved bucketloads and seen a bit of France but nope - the TSA force me to follow their decisions using my cash.

The contract they made me sign is even worse - I'm actually breaking the contract right now because one clause states that I can't make any negative statements about the TSA....or speak to the any media without their persmission...or of course hold them liable for anything (even though they organised everything).

Sadly you need TSA's permission to go to worlds so it's fit in and follow us or foff....

Me - I say PAH!

I belong to TSA through CGT. CGT have been brilliant - attend most events, coolerboxes and snacks, good team atmosphere, Craig is hard working etc.

TSA on the other hand don't really seem to add any value. I'm off to worlds soon...any assistance from TSA? Nope. I paid the lot. Do I have any choice about anything? Nope. I am forced to fly on their flights, stay in their hotel etc etc. I could have saved bucketloads and seen a bit of France but nope - the TSA force me to follow their decisions using my cash.

The contract they made me sign is even worse - I'm actually breaking the contract right now because one clause states that I can't make any negative statements about the TSA....or speak to the any media without their persmission...or of course hold them liable for anything (even though they organised everything).

Sadly you need TSA's permission to go to worlds so it's fit in and follow us or foff....

I would take that up with them Eldron. My wife just competed at worlds in Spain, so my son and I joined her on the trip. We organised that we travel Europe afterwards for an extra two weeks. I also know alot of the athletes got to Spain with their own organising of flights etc

Me - I say PAH!

I had exactly the same concerns last year when I got selected for Worlds in Gijon . Wasn't even allowed to spend a couple of days visiting my old man who actually lives in Spain!! So declined their magnanimous gesture of selection. :)

Me - I say PAH!

Would be sure those clauses are wholly against the constitution. What stupid terms and conditions as well, no wonder the sporting talent dies off.

I would take that up with them Eldron. My wife just competed at worlds in Spain, so my son and I joined her on the trip. We organised that we travel Europe afterwards for an extra two weeks. I also know alot of the athletes got to Spain with their own organising of flights etc

Adding a few days up front or afterwards was acceptable but I wanted to combine it with a business trip (with the company paying of course). DENIED!

Didn't like the hotel they booked (I'm a snob). DENIED!

That and a bunch of lip from the organiser calling us children and accusing us of not reading forms correctly (ok they may have been correct on that point :-) and I reckon this will be my first and last worlds.

Perhaps I'll see if my Irish passport will get me a start - their triathlon union has to be less strict...

My wife just competed at worlds in Spain, so my son and I joined her on the trip.

Does your wife ride a pink TT bike?

That and a bunch of lip from the organiser calling us children and accusing us of not reading forms correctly (ok they may have been correct on that point :-) and I reckon this will be my first and last worlds.

Perhaps I'll see if my Irish passport will get me a start - their triathlon union has to be less strict...

Yeah I don't understand, if they pay for the trip sure no problem but if you are paying for everything and I mean everything surely you can do as you please