My wife hates my cycling

W@nna-BE

Have a gift arriving for my wife tomorrow, the two of us are also going out to dinner tomorrow night (if you have young kids you will know its a big deal) and I have told the family that I'm having a family only weekend, no riding, working or going out.

Just saying.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also was very unimpressed with the Jeep pram we had. We eventually used our cycling one for everything including shopping etc. Was just so much easier to move around etc.

Which one would you suggest then? My little wanderer is 14months old...can't wait to take him on rides (edit: and runs)!

As for the training, commute, commute and commute. It saves money, is actually quicker than the car, and by the time I'm home I'm relaxed, done with training and ready to take over the little one. I also get to do one long ride on the weekend, but the rest is all her or family time. Seems to be rubbing off now, as she has started running again on her own as well. I'm happy with this arrangement anyway as there is nothing better than spending time with my little boy! We have some issues though:

Are you on the ***** hub again?!?

Are those shoes new?!? (The scary part is they're 2 years old! She even once asked that of one of my bikes...the very confused expression made her rethink it)

Trying to store your cycling stuff, including bike. I have an issue with folding bibs, it just does not make sense, so now there is a cycling drawer that she has agreed to not even open.

Edited by zeabre

At the Modders ride my other half was the only spouse to join the ride.

I win. Thanks for playing...

Eldron came second because his was waiting for him.

:P

He he he - mine would have been there but had a kiddies birthday party...

I can confidently say that Iron are da Man! If he was female and better looking I'd probably spade him.

I also have mates in the same position - wives or girlfriends always moaning !

My wife supports me 100% training and racing as long as I keep up the romance too when off the bike !

The other day I was asked if I would ever decide to do the Epic. I said no, because I'd like to do the same as Patches etc have done and do the Alps trip. She balked at that, until I told her it would actually be cheaper, and I'd enjoy it more.

Then she said "as a family, or alone"

I said alone, because I'd be concentrating on the riding and she & baba would be alone for the 2 weeks I was riding. But then I also want to go in the northern winter months for skiing, which is what she wanted me to say. So it seems as if I'll have 2 alps trips. One alone (with riding buddies) and one with the family, when the little one can either travel with us, or be left with grandparents!

Scoring there Cpt

Which one would you suggest then? My little wanderer is 14months old...can't wait to take him on rides (edit: and runs)!

As for the training, commute, commute and commute. It saves money, is actually quicker than the car, and by the time I'm home I'm relaxed, done with training and ready to take over the little one. I also get to do one long ride on the weekend, but the rest is all her or family time. Seems to be rubbing off now, as she has started running again on her own as well. I'm happy with this arrangement anyway as there is nothing better than spending time with my little boy! We have some issues though:

Are you on the ***** hub again?!?

Are those shoes new?!? (The scary part is they're 2 years old! She even once asked that of one of my bikes...the very confused expression made her rethink it)

Trying to store your cycling stuff, including bike. I have an issue with folding bibs, it just does not make sense, so now there is a cycling drawer that she has agreed to not even open.

We have the one that you get on CRC (Can't remember the brand), but its the Adventure bicycle trailer. Got the extra kit to convert it to "running" version. Its so much better than a pram as its designed for English weather i.e rain. Doesn't matter what the weather is like, your little one is warm and dry inside. Can easily fold up as well and go in the car.

Scoring there Cpt

Yeah... absolutely. But she appreciates the value of the Alps trip vs the Epic. Epic would wind up being at least 50% more expensive when training / kit is factored in. And training time would increase hectically, so there's that cost as well.

Plus - I'd much rather fly over the gap that Peaches peached himself on!

Hell missed this thread so probably to late for anything other than to say:

Wife! If you're reading this on the sly....

Thanks for all your support over the last 22 years, I know sometimes I've been selfish and seemingly focused only on running, cycling, swimming, canoeing, gyming, working, eating, watching sport, reading sport and sleeping...but your presence and support is what keeps me motivated. Without your understanding and help it would not have been possible...

:wub:

What's good to see is that this is clearly a topic that causes many of us issues. Cycling is a very demanding sport in terms of time and by and large is done during daylight hours, often on weekends - ie prime family time! Some good suggestions though - made me take a bit of a look at myself in terms of my behaviour and if I am being fair to my wife. Do sometimes feel the urge to just go riding without having to arrange, diarise, organise etc. But hey, you cannot have it all and I wouldn't change where I am so I will make that effort.

seems i have started a good thread here :)

by far my most successful topic :)

As Scooterza said, its an issue that many of us face! would be great to find a fix for everyone..... but we all different

seems the most common is planning! so thats what i am doing,.... i am on the cyclelab site and trying to plan my entries, glad i check the cycletour site for the seedings event, i almost forgot about the Raceforvictory on the 15th :) will let the wifey know i am doing that one :) well in advance... :)

, i almost forgot about the Raceforvictory on the 15th :) will let the wifey know i am doing that one :) well in advance... :)

It's the 16 th. My wife's birthday. Tried to get permission. Worked on it for a while. But as Kenny Rogers says :" You've got to know when to hold them ,know when to fold them........."

Had the same problem, then I pointed out that I now get up to cycle the time I used to come home, asked her which she preferred and she duly set the alarm for me at 3:30, now I smell of sweat when finished in stead of booze, smoke and some other chicks perfume

hey Hubbers

anyone have the same issue as me!

my wife hates my cycling! she is always complaining when i want to ride and its really impacting on my training!

she has actually made me feel guilty for wanting to ride!

guess i am going to have to start do the 4;30am rides story :(

When is the dating thread opening? Can I start?

I'm more of the better things mentioned in this thread and less of the bad... any takers among the girls? PS. I love cycling :)

When is the dating thread opening? Can I start?

I'm more of the better things mentioned in this thread and less of the bad... any takers among the girls? PS. I love cycling :)

Some oke is trading his wife off on another thread, have a look into that