My wife hates my cycling

W@nna-BE

i inferred that - but your words, not mine!

i love the way kayaks/paddleskis/surfskis are frowned upon as infringing by the surfarazzi, but SUPs are totally fine.

Goat boats and SUP's are never fine :D

Hahaha! the battle is almost as old as the toothpicks vs doormats one.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I want to do is the downwind Millers Run.

There is plenty of guys doing  DW runs in a double you can find them on FB OR you can ask Dawid Mocke he does DW's in a double HUGE fun and makes you feels tiny when the wind pumps and the swell is 3-4m plus pushing you along - knowing what swims beneath ....... :thumbup:

There is plenty of guys doing  DW runs in a double you can find them on FB OR you can ask Dawid Mocke he does DW's in a double HUGE fun and makes you feels tiny when the wind pumps and the swell is 3-4m plus pushing you along - knowing what swims beneath ....... :thumbup:

Did a race few years ago starting at Fish Hoek SLSC to around Roman Rock Lighthouse and back. Nice mild Southerly conditions. We found out when we returned there were 3 sightings during the race. Also when I landed I found out I had a nice gash in the hull and I drained almost 20 litres of water from the hull. Must have hit the reef at Roman Rock as I took maybe a too aggressive line around the lighthouse. Could have been fun if my ski eventually collapsed from the weight of the water it was taking in with those monsters swimming about.

At the moment I am without a boat.Sold Long Board.Sold Paddle Ski and sold Paddleyak.

Need to buy another Kayak and a Surfski(first time) and practice.

Trouble is my son has so much stored at the apartment in Milnerton I will battle for storage space

I recon a "Surfing Thread" is called for. I'll pop in there every so often to cause trouble........as an ex-windsurfer!  :ph34r:

Dude. I have a super retro windsurf setup here at home. My cousin does interiors and a few years back he was tasked with this divorcees house in van riebeekstrand. She threw out a stoep full of her ex husbands ***. I scored a board, sail, straps and some things I don't know the names of. They need some work but definitely usable. The wetsuit was a real gem though. Proper 80s/90s era. And mooi condition. Neoprene in good shape. Must not have seen much sun or sea. Best of all. Its bright blue, with like this yellow and red stripe trim. Man I hate that its too big. I'm hoping it fits when I try it on in a decade or so. If I could hipster this suit with a short fat pintail singlefin. Man, I would like grow the mustache and everything.

SUPs are not fine - unless you can actually surf a normal board and are mindful and respectful that you a danger to others - many many many of these former mountain biker former golfers who partake have insufficient ocean knowledge

A SUP is a bit like an ebike on a pump track

how about a SUP with one of these puppies on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6zcZY7SFY&feature=emb_title

(the existence of this device was inevitable)

Radio controlled surfboard.............if you really need it but it's cold and you don't want to get your hair wet............ :ph34r:

Radio controlled surfboard.............if you really need it but it's cold and you don't want to get your hair wet............ :ph34r:

If you buy one of those you won't have a problem with your wife hating your cycling anymore. She'll definitely leave.

world famous made right here in the 'berg

https://www.brorcsurfer.com/

I know, I have met him. Before that I didn't even know that such a thing existed. From what I understand is that he is one of the top guys in the world and his production is sold out overseas before he even starts making one. 

Explain that the new chick you're riding with has a great set of lungs. She's prepared to put the hours in and she's becoming a great mate.

That will fuel a heated debate.

Work out your next chapter in life based on that outcome

Tell me about it! One report of shenanigans in the club and now we are all tainted by the same brush! Meanwhile we all know it’s the joggers up to no good ????

Congrats on the little one. You must be stoked :)

enjoy this time while they're little and sleep regularly. You can plan your life around that.

once they start walking you're going to have a proper little terror on your hands. Their curiosity takes them all over the house, you can't take your eye off them. Full time job and sleep is less regular in the teething months.

Soon you'll have a riding buddy then life starts looking normal again.

I found (now 21 years ago) that when we had our first boy, that it did not really make that much of a dent into my free time to ride. My wife could pretty much take care of him for the reasonable time I needed. But boy oh boy, when the second one arrived ,not all that much later, I suddenly had to contribute a whole lot more of my time. Looking after a toddler and a newborn is not a job one person can do and stay sane. That took a big chunk of my riding time, much worse than with no.1. Of course as soon as they were able to ride, all was instantly forgiven and now I just let them pull a bit more whenever we battle a headwind. 

Congratulations Grease . 

Having parents both close and available is the greatest blessing . For both them and for you and for your child. Embrace having them around. 

A bit late to the reply here.... but thanks guys, appreciate the well wishes! It has definitely has been one hell of an adjustment, mostly good, some bad. And I cannot believe how much help my parents and family have been already - it's a massive blessing to have them close-by. I have still been on the bike, but I have also been on paternity leave so it's been easy so far. Today is back to reality/work, so we will see if I swallow my words. 

One thing that has changed drastically is my bikehub time, I've found that when I am home I am really there and spending time with my wife and kiddo - no more half distracted posts while I should actually be present. We'll see how long it lasts, hopefully I've formed a good habit!

A bit late to the reply here.... but thanks guys, appreciate the well wishes! It has definitely has been one hell of an adjustment, mostly good, some bad. And I cannot believe how much help my parents and family have been already - it's a massive blessing to have them close-by. I have still been on the bike, but I have also been on paternity leave so it's been easy so far. Today is back to reality/work, so we will see if I swallow my words. 

One thing that has changed drastically is my bikehub time, I've found that when I am home I am really there and spending time with my wife and kiddo - no more half distracted posts while I should actually be present. We'll see how long it lasts, hopefully I've formed a good habit!

Chapeau!