Bb30 adaptor removal.

nolipoli

I have a carbon frame that comes specced as a bb30, but when I look closely, I can see that it has been fitted with an adaptor to fit a standard external BB. Does anyone know how to remove this without damaging the frame? Any shop that has the correct tools?

You just need to knock it out with something from the other end of the BB - something 29.5mm or smaller will work.

Gently tap it with a hammer / mallet. The adapter merely pressed on.

Otherwise - use something like a bearing puller that screws into the BB thread. It shouldn't be to tight - normally kept in place by 2 o rings.

DON'T DO ANYTHING!

Leave it in there and be happy you don't have a BB30 in there that whines more than you mommy when you get hom too late for supper!!

DON'T DO ANYTHING!

Leave it in there and be happy you don't have a BB30 in there that whines more than you mommy when you get hom too late for supper!!

Hey Rob! why don't you cycle to the little bike show and have it fixed? Crackondale must have a stand there somewhere? :D

How far are you from eurobike?

I call BS on that statement Rob. My past 4 bikes had BB30. No noise.

Nolipoli......as Vinnydabutcher pointed out........tap it out with a hammer. Get the right tool that slots in and gently tap. You should be OK.

don't try take it out if the housing is carbon. On the adaptor instructions it says it's removable in in aluminium frame, but not carbon.. Once in it must stay in. BB30 is not that great anyway!! Leave it

I say - if it aint broke don't fix it.

Most adaptors weigh ~60g and there are way more options in standard BB than there are in BB30.

That said - the BB30 system is pretty cool. All you do is remove two circlips, replace only the bearings and voila new BB.

I call BS on that statement Rob. My past 4 bikes had BB30. No noise.

Nolipoli......as Vinnydabutcher pointed out........tap it out with a hammer. Get the right tool that slots in and gently tap. You should be OK.

BS as in bull***t? I have three bikes with BB30's and they all annoy the hell out of me. All bikes younger than 1 year.

And as everyone who does some tech chit chat knows it's not an unkommon problem. Sometimes locktite does magic, but not always.

Hey Rob! why don't you cycle to the little bike show and have it fixed? Crackondale must have a stand there somewhere? :D

How far are you from eurobike?

I am literally as far away from the Eurobike as you can be. Imagine having it in Cape Town but you live on the border to Mocambique.

(But I'm actually going south tomorrow for the weekend and will ride the Stelvio Pass Saturday - with a rental Specialized (spit) nogal).

I am literally as far away from the Eurobike as you can be. Imagine having it in Cape Town but you live on the border to Mocambique.

(But I'm actually going south tomorrow for the weekend and will ride the Stelvio Pass Saturday - with a rental Specialized (spit) nogal).

Cool man, enjoy! Send us some photos of the Stelvio, not of the Spazmalized or spit!

• 1 year later...