Vo2 Max testing- where & how much?

Where can I go for it and how much does it cost? Johannesburg area.

Thanks

Edited by Bianchisti

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks

R660 at SSI in Newlands as a marker

All depends how accurate you want it, the fitness assesment at Virgin active does a predicted VO2 max with some software coupled to your heart rate, cost R160

Why do you want to test VO2Max? There are 3 components to physical conditioning: 1) Cardio-vascular conditioning; 2) Neuro-muscular conditioning; and 3) Mind conditioning. VO2Max is only one component that only tells you how many tools you have available in one aspect, and not how much you use of it. The biggest chunk that determines performance belongs to the 3rd component, which can currently not be measured. Rather manage outputs than inputs ...

• 1 year later...

Thanks

so did you find one & what was the outcome i.e. did you get what you wanted/needed? #justcurious :whistling:

Why do you want to test VO2Max? There are 3 components to physical conditioning: 1) Cardio-vascular conditioning; 2) Neuro-muscular conditioning; and 3) Mind conditioning. VO2Max is only one component that only tells you how many tools you have available in one aspect, and not how much you use of it. The biggest chunk that determines performance belongs to the 3rd component, which can currently not be measured. Rather manage outputs than inputs ...

Power meter?

Power meter?

[/Quote] that's an option but not 100% accurate in fact, IMO it will never be no matter where you do the test for the mere reasons, indoors you will never perform the same as outdoors many factors that influence & skew that results, outdoors you don't have the oxygen mask & tank to measure the O2 intake. I stand to be corrected?

I understand how to train with power, but how can vo2max help with training? Or is it just to know what it is now and compare with in the future?

I understand how to train with power, but how can vo2max help with training? Or is it just to know what it is now and compare with in the future?

No, its how your training can help your VO2Max.

Ideally you want to know what it is before you start training by means of a self test, this is so you can train in that Zone, then do another test probably 4 weeks later & adjust the Zone again.

Probably not but a damn good indicator that you are improving... at least for us the average cyclist who want to compete with the best (talented individuals).