RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

So I am cruzing through town on the bike (For work not pleasure) and had to contend with motorbikes parked in the lanes, cars parked in the lane, people using this as a "smoking zone" and a whole lot of other paraphernalia getting in my way.

Along my meanders I came across a traffic officer wrighting out a fine for an illegally parked car. I asked him if he was intending fining those parked in the cycle lane and he said he could not as he did not have a "code" to fine them under and this "code" was still to be legislated.

WTF City of Cape Town WTF .....

EDIT: Font size ammended

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am cruzing through town on the bike (For work not pleasure) and had to contend with motorbikes parked in the lanes, cars parked in the lane, people using this as a "smoking zone" and a whole lot of other paraphernalia getting in my way.

Along my meanders I came across a traffic officer wrighting out a fine for an illegally parked car. I asked him if he was intending fining those parked in the cycle lane and he said he could not as he did not have a "code" to fine them under and this "code" was still to be legislated.

WTF City of Cape Town WTF .....

EDIT: Font size ammended

I fix. I help.

Push the bike over, or scratch the cars on your way past... lets see if it parks there again afterwards.

Tell the smokers to go die elsewhere

As great and adventurous as your advice sounds, it would unfortunately be counter productive.

Eventually I did raise my voice to the smokers letting them know in no uncertain terms to get out the way.

Seen tht myself - seems to be a delivery lane - where cars think they can park to drop of goods. But that CPT drivers for you ..... I can even drive the 5km home without seeing at least 3-5 acts of stupidity on a daily basis

They're busy building/converting the pavements to cycling lanes down south in Plumstead on De Waal Road. The other day I saw a woman on a scooter cruising down the cycle lane!

:blink:

I found something similar when I rode through town in April. I took pictures and sent them to the City along with my thoughts, copying the correspondence to PPA and BEN.

Ironically, I had ridden through the middle of town - I don't usually - to try out the cycle lanes.

The response was that this is hard to solve in the long term and they are working on how best to do that. They've had complaints before.

Hairy, why don't you keep up the pressure by addressing your concerns to the city's Non-motorised Transport group?

I find it bizarre that a couple of riders blowing through a red light or riding abreast gets everybody steamed up, but this constant thumbing of the nose by motorists gets a shrug of the shoulders. No codes? More like no cojones.

Let me state upfront that I do not support cycle lanes in general, but in specific situations they may be a better option than not having them.

Let me state upfront that I do not support cycle lanes in general, but in specific situations they may be a better option than not having them.

Sorry thats retarded the more cycle lanes they can build the better, if you want to train find rural road with a shoulder and go train there. Urban roads are for commuting and cycle lanes are there to ensure people can commute safely.

Sorry thats retarded the more cycle lanes they can build the better, if you want to train find rural road with a shoulder and go train there. Urban roads are for commuting and cycle lanes are there to ensure people can commute safely.

I think what pbp2007 is more leaning towards is that there should not be a need for cycle lanes if motorists actually respected cyclists.

I think what pbp2007 is more leaning towards is that there should not be a need for cycle lanes if motorists actually respected cyclists.

yeah like thats ever going to happen

The city has been slacking a bit. Gonna drop the Aunty Helen a tweet. She seems to care more of cyclists than Aunty Pat.

I've picked up scooters in the bike lane, had fights with flower sellers - maybe I should get some really, really sticky stickers (like the Argus numbers that you can't get off) that say, "Stay the F out of the bike lane" especially for their windscreens?