RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

They have widened the road already. Will this just be a painted lane on the shoulder? Or a totally separate lane still to be built?

from what has been done so far it is seperated by a raised kerb.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike Highway to Melkbos coming along nicely

Very good!

I must ride in that direction again soon. Have been heading up the mountain lately, to try and make up for my lazy winter habits. Nothing like a flat and fast one to make you feel fitter than you really are! 

• 2 months later...

Reckon this fence along the Woodstock section of the cycle lane is a lost cause. It was fixed by the city before, then we did a road side repair and now it is wide open again.

We have had to twist and turn the sharp parts back towards the railway line on numerous occasions now already.

https://twitter.com/CTCycleLanes/status/928987805316939778

Hairy

The school opposite my house installed the same type of fencing about a year ago. It was trashed in no time at all, simply because it is not strong enough. It has nice footholds to climb, but the top is so wobbly and weak it then bends over. Where it is fastened to the uprights, it just takes a big shove to pop the bolts and you can bend it open. Useless as a barrier, except to law abiding people. My belief is that it was used as a cost saving exercise, but that spending a bit more on something like pallisade fencing would have worked out cheaper in the long term. The only good thing I have to say about it is that it is better looking than rolls of razor wire.

Edited by DJR

• 3 months later...

The number of aggressive "pro's" that have come out of hibernation to dust off their bikes to prepare for the Argus are rather alarming .... some of them just have no class!

This morning we met one such elderly gent who insisted on riding on the middle line and then shouts at our group occupying the opposite lane as he felt like we were in his way .... classy.

Then the number of riders who have all of a sudden taken to riding on the roads immediately adjacent to the cycle lane, in particular the Milnerton Lagoon Section where there is Zero Shoulder to ride on, and a "ghost bike" on display for a fallen rider .... just boggles the mind.

The number of aggressive "pro's" that have come out of hibernation to dust off their bikes to prepare for the Argus are rather alarming .... some of them just have no class!

This morning we met one such elderly gent who insisted on riding on the middle line and then shouts at our group occupying the opposite lane as he felt like we were in his way .... classy.

Then the number of riders who have all of a sudden taken to riding on the roads immediately adjacent to the cycle lane, in particular the Milnerton Lagoon Section where there is Zero Shoulder to ride on, and a "ghost bike" on display for a fallen rider .... just boggles the mind.

See this every Saturday and Sunday morning between Lakeside and Cape Point.

Big bunches of "pro" riders racing into Kalk Bay :w00t: while I enjoy my flat white at Bootleggers or Salt (nice spot to have coffee - R10 before 09h00)

Edited by Bloukrans

Bru, what really boggles my mind is the sheer stupidity of the average non motorised road user. Bikes with no lights, runners/walkers with their back to the traffic, cyclist in the road where there is a cycle lane. And judging by the kit these people can afford they are not completely without a decent education and therefore some fair degree of intelligence.

Bike Highway to Melkbos coming along nicely

where is this at now?

i rode home from langebaan the other day and don't remember it at all

Hairy

The school opposite my house installed the same type of fencing about a year ago. It was trashed in no time at all, simply because it is not strong enough. It has nice footholds to climb, but the top is so wobbly and weak it then bends over. Where it is fastened to the uprights, it just takes a big shove to pop the bolts and you can bend it open. Useless as a barrier, except to law abiding people. My belief is that it was used as a cost saving exercise, but that spending a bit more on something like pallisade fencing would have worked out cheaper in the long term. The only good thing I have to say about it is that it is better looking than rolls of razor wire.

https://twitter.com/CTCycleLanes/status/965895336014303232