RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

Just a doff question. Considering the lack of intelligence of the average person, do people actually realise it is illegal to park on the cycle lane? Are there any 'No Parking' signs along there? I can't see any.

there are a good few signs yes

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see a few Cpt Traffic officers walking down lower main road Salt River issuing fines for cars parked in cycle lanes, etc.

Was it for parking in the lanes or for license discs?

They pop around at our work as well and only issue fines for expired license disc. If the car is parked illegally, number plates missing, smooth tyres etc, it all gets overlooked.

If a traffic cop can issue a fine for an expired license disc, then they can issue fines for non roadworthy and illegally parked and vice versa

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• 5 months later...

Three broken bottles on the cycle lane in last 2 days!The only peeps I hate more are ones breaking bottles on the beach or in the parks causing injuries to kiddies playing

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A sad sight along the cycle lane in Milnerton

This mess has been cleared up but this storm water drain is still a problem with stinking water which is regularly pumped into another stormwater drain.Scary that this drains into the Diepriver lagoon where I often see children swimming.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like grass is slowly taking over the R27 cycle lanes. The grass occasionally gets cut next to the cycle lanes but no attempt is made to stop the grass growing through the tar.

All it would take is some herbicide sprayed

• 2 weeks later...

Because of cable theft there are 2 sections along cycle lane to Tableview where there are no street lights.Between Sunset beach and near Dolphin beach and from Diepriver bridge till about 400m past Racecourse rd intersection.Saw runner and cyclists out training in the dark with no lights and commuters going home flat out.Goodluck to all commuters riding in the dark

Because of cable theft there are 2 sections along cycle lane to Tableview where there are no street lights.Between Sunset beach and near Dolphin beach and from Diepriver bridge till about 400m past Racecourse rd intersection.Saw runner and cyclists out training in the dark with no lights and commuters going home flat out.Goodluck to all commuters riding in the dark

Yep, been using the road in the early morning on my way to town, hoping there’s no potholes as you can’t see anything... Edited by Jbr

• 3 months later...

On the cycle lane near Milnerton High .They have red cones out but still had a rider otb this morning.Be careful out there

20210710_144228.jpg

I dont want to be that guy but how do you not see a red 160mm pipe even if there weren't any cones lol? The average person is super quick to point out broken glass 5m away. It’s not like you are going 60kph in that spot. People need to look around and take in the scenery instead of looking at their front wheels????

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

I dont want to be that guy but how do you not see a red 160mm pipe even if there weren't any cones lol? The average person is super quick to point out broken glass 5m away. It’s not like you are going 60kph in that spot. People need to look around and take in the scenery instead of looking at their front wheels????

The smell of sewerage also serves as a wake up call from 100 metres away. Disgusting.