Credit Card Fraud

ZooBear

Hi hubbers,I woke up this morning to a nasty surprise, my credit card had been fraudulently maxed out. The only time i used my card over the last month was to enter Argus and 94.7, is it possible for fraudsters to get my credit card details through their online booking process, and did any hubbers experience a similar problem recently?

Could be, but rather doubtful about that.

Also had an issue where my card sat in my drawer for months then suddenly had a call saying I had to pay the bank 11k immediately as I had overdrawn. Turns out I had been to Steers Soweto, The Rock night club in Soweto and a few other places.

Anyhow, sometimes your skimmed card is only used a while after copying it, or a bank employee is selling info.

Good luck in getting the moola back!

Sorry bout your troubles. Check with your bank to lodge a fraud claim. It takes a while but is possible. Ask your bank about authorisations of international purchases which the bank then calls you first before authorising an internet purchase. I make alot of online purchases but I have a specific credit card for that with an overall limit about ZAR3000.

Hey man - nasty surprize!!

BUT you should get your moola back...might take a bit of time but IF you did not put your signature down (the bank will have to prove this otherwise...) NEITHER divulge your pin number...then you are covered!

I recently went on a road trip to B.loem nad even before I got back home...my bank has contacted me about petrol; card transactions en route to Bloem!! Pretty sharp of them i must admit...

Could be, but rather doubtful about that.

Also had an issue where my card sat in my drawer for months then suddenly had a call saying I had to pay the bank 11k immediately as I had overdrawn. Turns out I had been to Steers Soweto, The Rock night club in Soweto and a few other places.

Anyhow, sometimes your skimmed card is only used a while after copying it, or a bank employee is selling info.

Good luck in getting the moola back!

I agree with the skimming

I had a similar experience for 125K a couple of years back.

Nedbank refunded me in full within a week

Beware if your cards are linked.They go to a self help terminal and clear out all you accounts

First thing is to report the issue immediately to the bank. They will then institute a claim to recover the money.

The Argus/94.7 entry system itself does not process your card transaction, but a third party does, and it is their core business and knows how to do this securely, so I would not finger them as the problem. Do however check if you might not have spyware on your PC.

O, and as the other guys mentioned. Skimming is currently the biggest source of credit card fraud. Does your card have a chip? Most credit card machines only need the chip. My card's magstripe is scratched enough so that they won't be able to copy the magstripe. But I am not going to tell you to do the same thing.

Edited by Moridin

If you used your card at an ATM it most probably got copied by a high tech skimming device. Some of these devices look so authentic that it is nearly impossible to notice the difference. The new ones are inserted into the ATM's and is unnoticable. My cards (one credit and one debit) recently got cloned in a short period of time and the bank is refusing to pay out the second time it happened, even although the modus operandi was the same. The bank sent me some badly written letter alluding to the fact that I may have exposed my PIN which I found was quite interesting considering what I do for a living. To say the least, I am in the process of taking legal action against them.

Else, I would second Moridin that your PC may be infected, there are a few malicious malware variants circling around targeting South Africans specifically and then there is the ones that target anyone and everyone.

Edited by epoh

I had transactions go through on a brand new credit card , never used. Had it for a week about and R 10k dissapearred.

I made a big fuss at the bank and it was repaid two or three days later.

I had transactions go through on a brand new credit card , never used. Had it for a week about and R 10k dissapearred.

I made a big fuss at the bank and it was repaid two or three days later.

Did it dissapear via an ATM transaction? If so, did you have a debit or any other card linked to your credit card?

Edited by epoh

Sorry about your loss OP - what I've started to do is virtual credit cards like VCPay. Its an application on your phone that generates a unique credit card number with a limit for each transaction. You can only spend what is in your wallet (positive cash balance).

I'm using to get me out of debt as I no longer use my real plastic but it gives me massive peace of mind when buying online.

some years ago I had 14000 taken off my credit card.

The purchase was at Makro I do not even own a Makro card.

Nedbank gave all my bucks back but now all my cards have a 3000 limit.

Be careful the banks usually allow 90 days for your objection if fruad is suspected.

Could have been the entries, cyclists/cycling suppliers are often money hungry, every time I go near a bike shop, my card gets maxed.

On a serious note though, most banks will refund you pretty quickly. I had around R20K spent on my cheque card recently and had the money back the next day (FNB).

Thanks for the advice guys, I reported the incident to the bank and they are investigating the fraud. The amount was almost 50k and the transactions were made between midnight and 5am, all online purchases. Now I just have to wait for the bank to get back to me....