Attempt to do 100mph on flat with self-powered bicycle

Mountainman44

Yep. If you are familiar with his life story - he and cycling authorities didn't exactly get on well. They did everything they could to ban him, his bikes, the position he invented...

A worthy read regarding the UCI and its ridiculous rules is Michael Hutchinson's The Hour. After struggling to a bike to comply with UCI rules, just as he was about to embark on his attempt, he was made to remove his HR.

post-1604-0-89926700-1353560737_thumb.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look. A post about Lance and drugs. On an Obree thread. Can you say "fanboy"?

Happy to admit to long-term Obree fanboy-ism thumbup1.gif

Here's another one for Eldron:

Lance Armstrong may have his eye on yet another record: the hour.

Armstrong made a visit to the ADT Event Center velodrome Sunday to conduct tests on two different bikes. He was accompanied by Johan Bruyneel, Steve Hed, Chris Carmichael, a video crew with boom mike and a still photographer, among others.

Obree went to Norway and got the job done - at sea level - with recycled scrap mental assembled in his kitchen for £70.

...his professional road career was over pretty much as soon as it started.

“This one Italian guy in particular asked, quite casually, ‘What did you use for the Hour record?’ and when I said ‘Nothing,’ he literally waved his hand up and down as the Italians do, said ‘amatore’ [amateur] and turned away in disgust,” he explained.

“I wasn’t taking drugs so I wasn’t taking my sport seriously, and that’s a genuine attitude I met with – you’re not taking your job seriously because you’re not willing to take substances to make you go as fast as you humanly can.

“I did suffer a terrible resentment in pro cycling, I felt I was robbed of it, because I wasn’t welcome in the pro peloton at all after the whole debacle with Le Groupement “because obviously they realised, ‘He’s not going to play the game.’

http://road.cc/conte...-video-airships

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Here's another one for Eldron:

[/size][/font][/color]

Obree went to Norway and got the job done - at sea level - with recycled scrap mental assembled in his kitchen for £70.

Oh look. Another post about Lance. I'm gobsmacked.

Can't you limit your fanboyism to threads actually about Lance rather than soiling otherwise uplifting ones?

Oh look. Another post about Lance. I'm gobsmacked.

Can't you limit your fanboyism to threads actually about Lance rather than soiling otherwise uplifting ones?

I am uplifted, why so glum?

LL: "I am uplifted, why so glum?". Didn't Obree also suffer from depression just to make his efforts even more impressive? He seemed to have really been treated shoddily by the UCI estbalishment.

LL: "I am uplifted, why so glum?". Didn't Obree also suffer from depression just to make his efforts even more impressive? He seemed to have really been treated shoddily by the UCI estbalishment.

Yep, the UCI gave him a rough ride. I won't make comparisons with other cough*favoured*cough, cough*more professional*cough riders lest I incur the wrath of the part time moderators.

Interesting to read about these exploits and how they compare to the more "well known" riders from outside the cycling community.

Whilst maybe not appropriate to bring up the LA and drug issue, for many it is an eye opener to see that more goes on in the cycling world that AC, LA, EM, etc etc.

I would love to see the "pro's" take on a challenge like this.

I wonder where that video is off the human powered helicopter, and if AC could have kept the bird it up higher and for longer ?

Any one else notice how small those wheels are, look like 24 inch or less.

I see a new craze coming

Broke the hour record clean. Something LA and all his drugs never even attempted, despite making noises in that direction.

He was disqualified because it wasn't a normal/standard bicycle. There's now two types of hour records, one with "normal" bikes (read older) and one with "other". You have to draw the line somewhere.

Interesting to read about these exploits and how they compare to the more "well known" riders from outside the cycling community.

Whilst maybe not appropriate to bring up the LA and drug issue, for many it is an eye opener to see that more goes on in the cycling world that AC, LA, EM, etc etc.

I would love to see the "pro's" take on a challenge like this.

Agreed. Mercx and all of them did the hour record in their day, but I don't see current pros doing it. Imagine how Fabian would fly!