Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, maybe not. I'd argue about it being hard to get an edge on them - I just use a grind wheel thing I was recommended at Sharper Edge which leaves a lethal edge. I've learned to keep it locked shut in my pocket after nearly losing a thumb. I rate that carbon steel way better than stainless for an edge. I do think it flexes too much when you really lean on it tho.

But it's light, and I hate heavy things in my pockets, so I'll happily live with it's quirks.

I also like it's lightness, and the simple foolproof lock. However, modern stainless steels make nicer blades. Carbon steel rusts like crazy. I took my Opinel with me on my kayak when I went to gather mussels the other day and even though I didn't use it and it remained in my life jacket's pocket, the next day it looked like an old shipwreck. Carbon steel got some good PR when Hannibal Lecter claimed he only uses carbon steel blades when he cuts up his victims and cooks their brains...or whatever it was he did with his pursuers. I bought mine in France a couple of years ago when I was stationed in a town (can't remember its name now) where I was doing a technical course with Marzocchi. The town's one claim to fame was its Opinel factory and every shop, hotel, café, canteen and magazine shop sold Opinels. There is a post here about Okapi, I didn't read the entire thread but I hope no-one confuses an Okapi with an Opinel. An Okapi is a bit of a fokapi if you ask me. Absolute rubbish but in my childhood, every boy wanted, and eventually owned, an Okapi. Our special trick was to grind down the cam on the blade so that with some skill, you could flick it open.

This was made by a local, Capetonian, Des Horn. He probably makes the most intricate folders in SA and he is right up there with the super exotic, precision folder makers anywhere in the world. Sadly, for me, his knives now cost bicycle prices and are mostly sold at shows overseas and for Dollars.

post-17716-0-45312100-1408267169_thumb.jpg

Hi Johan,

I bought my 2nd Opinel last week. Took it home and used my Lansky on it. Must say the blade sharpened up nicely. I have not used it much, and am keen to see how it holds it's edge.

Regards

Sarge

So this is an internet pic of the folding knife I have just purchased. Real pictures in a week or 2 when I receive it..

I want to figure out whether my needs warrants something fancier. Abondoned the Damascus steel route completely, impractical.

Smith and Wesson Extreme Ops

post-35569-0-05614700-1408363176_thumb.jpg

440C Hammer forged Stainless steel foldable blade

Blade length: 90mm, Total length: 210mm

Pocket clip, liner lock, lanyard loop.

G-10 handle

Depending on the quality and what i find in the way of whether I need something better I have been looking at the following:

Smith and Wesson Guard patrol

post-35569-0-87440700-1408362932_thumb.jpg

Kershaw Brawler

post-35569-0-91211500-1408362975_thumb.jpg

Kershaw Black Tanto

post-35569-0-65829900-1408362974_thumb.jpg

Kershaw Clash Black

post-35569-0-13252600-1408362977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

probably cant compare with the other knives on here as its not a pure knife, but got this on the way in the post. Was looking for something with proper blade and usable pliers, dont like frigidity small tools.

Really like leatherman's quality, especially their guarantee is unbeatable and no questions asked.

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/images/products/skeletool/Carousel/skeletool-blade.jpg

probably cant compare with the other knives on here as its not a pure knife, but got this on the way in the post. Was looking for something with proper blade and usable pliers, dont like frigidity small tools.

Really like leatherman's quality, especially their guarantee is unbeatable and no questions asked.

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/images/products/skeletool/Carousel/skeletool-blade.jpg

Always liked the skeletool, looks really solid.

I have the rebar and it has served me very well thus far!!

I have actually decided my next knife will be one of these, just have to have one.

http://shop.touratech.co.za/media/catalog/product/cache/45/image/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/0/1/01-070-0234-0_i_01.jpg

I have actually decided my next knife will be one of these, just have to have one.

http://shop.touratech.co.za/media/catalog/product/cache/45/image/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/0/1/01-070-0234-0_i_01.jpg

If you are after a French classic, have you considered Laguiole?