Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

Gerber Shard (Custom Engraved maybe) or Gerber Dime perhaps, www.everydaycarry.com is evil, there are some really nice EDC options available, although from there most links take you off to Amazon but some of the stuff is available locally too. 

I really do dislike you for showing me that website! 

I just fell in love with the CRKT Pillar:

post-19039-0-79506600-1508840687_thumb.jpg

post-19039-0-57905900-1508840700_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to my previous post regarding the gifts, and also the thread. So far my idea has changed a bit to getting a handmade steak knife and cutting board (still toying with the board idea), then invite the guys over for a beer and a braai. 

Here's the idea we'll be following on the steak knife, a few tweaks and also a stainless blade:

post-19039-0-39151400-1508841016.jpg

Details of the knife maker will be conveyed should they wish to order a set, alternatively it will be used (in my mind at least) per occasion as a steak/meat knife or on a daily basis as a kitchen knife.

I don't know much about knives so I don't know if this is any good but onedayonly.co.za have

Gerber fine edge knife - mini swagger drop point fine edge clam marked down from R750 to R499

Question to the experts, is this saveable? Worth it?

Something I can do myself?

It's an Opinel Inox blade, my everyday carry and it works hard.

I'll probably get a new EDC knife, but this was a gift from my mother so I don't want to just chuck it.5daaeccb7beb19022c5ed3e3e26e2698.jpg

Edited by PhilipV

I'll probably get a new EDC knife, but this was a gift from my mother so I don't want to just chuck it.5daaeccb7beb19022c5ed3e3e26e2698.jpg

Depends on your definition of save'able.

Personally I would grab a dremmel and just sharpen the tip and fix the blade angle. By using a sharp point permanent marker it should be easy to get a nice line without offering up to much ito blade size. Just make sure that the blade stays cool whilst doing this. Then when you're done slowly rework the edge with a Lansky set.

Alternatively, find a knife maker who's willing to make you a stainless blade as a replacement. Cost will far outweigh the price of a new knife tho.

I'll probably get a new EDC knife, but this was a gift from my mother so I don't want to just chuck it.

I did the same thing to a Victorinox a few years ago and managed to save it on a whetstone. Drop the point slightly to save blade length and then re-profile the cutting edge to match the new tip. Will still work well as a workhorse.

Depends on your definition of save'able.

Personally I would grab a dremmel and just sharpen the tip and fix the blade angle. By using a sharp point permanent marker it should be easy to get a nice line without offering up to much ito blade size. Just make sure that the blade stays cool whilst doing this. Then when you're done slowly rework the edge with a Lansky set.

Alternatively, find a knife maker who's willing to make you a stainless blade as a replacement. Cost will far outweigh the price of a new knife tho.

Buy a new #8 and swap the blades over would be more viable.

Buy a new #8 and swap the blades over would be more viable.

Tada!!! We have a winner!!!

To be quite honest I missed the "Inox blade" part, and thought he had the carbon blade model. Actually never even crossed my mind to swap blades from another knife  :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Wanted a small pocket knive to carry loose in my pocket and use for all the small light duty cutting work. I Bought this Opinel No.6 carbon. I Modified the handle just a little on a belt sander and finished it of with sanding paper and some Woodoc. It feels very nice in hand and is much more "pocket friendly" now. Only used it twice to braai, cutting the meat and slicing up the the tomatos and onions for the braai broodjies and there is already some nice patina forming on the blade. :)

post-62204-0-03043700-1514124046_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

my best effort to date,

Nicely done!!

I bought myself a "cleaver" on BoB, I was expecting a 8" cleaver, ended up getting a 6" x 3". So much for the argument of "size doesn't matter". 

Anyhow, so I decided to soften the metal and redo the blade design as well as making G10 scales. And then turn it into a vegetable chopper  

Bought Opinel as I gave my Kershaw Kudu to my old man before immigrated. 

I love Opinel as it takes care of all those minor camping chores quite well.  

The Global knives are new and made me fall in love with cooking again. 

post-43518-0-69429500-1516612762_thumb.jpg

Had 'geen zorgen' engraved at the shop as a free service, no worries in Dutch. 

post-43518-0-52300200-1516612778_thumb.jpg