Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

Some okes start the grinding AFTER heat treatment. That way they only have to go through all the grits on the sanding once(or that is what they say) Just take care not to overheat the blade. Have you tried this before?

Never before. It is something I've wanted to try for a long time and when this opportunity came along, we jumped at it. My youngest had his 18th birthday during his matric exam, so couldn't really celebrate much. Afterwards all his best friends left for overseas and he didn't want to go to the Plett rage, so he was a bit down. As it turned out this was the perfect project for him (and me). We ended up making two different knives, different designs and sizes, but we used the same piece of wood for the handles, so they will make a beautiful pair when finished!

post-17716-0-15824700-1544420178_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is a guy in Clarens that offers these courses but also a few around the JHB area.

Would love to do one some day....

There is someone in Mossel Bay also.

I know there is a guy in Clarens that offers these courses but also a few around the JHB area.

Would love to do one some day....

dragonforge?

Would love to do one some day...

Heaven Forge in Belfast is run by Kevin Harvey - both him and his wife, Heather, are ABS Masters. He is a legend in knifemaking... My son and I did same thing as DJR 2 years back with him - real privilege...

Rucus Coetzee is in the Eastern Cape - he also offers courses - he was apprentice under Kevin for many years and later on assisted him in courses before he moved to the Eastern Cape.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, on their courses you forge your knife from scratch from block of steel - DJR's course is what is called stock removal. (Very nice knives DJ...)

Edited by Warthog

• 2 weeks later...

Final result: After many more hours of sanding and buffing.

What a fantastic experience it was!. I think the knives make a great pair. Early in January we'll make the sheaths, but first we have some holidaying to do!

post-17716-0-14609700-1545154387_thumb.jpg

What a fantastic experience it was!. I think the knives make a great pair. Early in January we'll make the sheaths, but first we have some holidaying to do!

Looks flippen amazing !  :thumbup:

There is a meat eating hubber who lives at WatervalBoven whose son is an accomplished knifemaker..... maar die man is ‘n bietjie stil......

There is a meat eating hubber who lives at WatervalBoven whose son is an accomplished knifemaker..... maar die man is ‘n bietjie stil......

Hy is baie stil....

That is flipping awesome!!!!

Something to be proud of...congrats :clap:

So I caved in and got myself a knife.

It's not an original Strider, as according to the lady who served me in the shop, they don't stock the original brand of knives. I would like to go back to the store one of these days and get myself a slightly smaller one though.

da297341d8d0ebc2751e158846cf7d77.jpg4f58317cb5a9861362cb46946919a2b3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Used to do that but nicked myself to often.I have a small knife on me 90%of the time now anyway.

Why did I think that you live in Ireland? Must have got you mixed up with someone else

• 4 weeks later...

post-19421-0-94908100-1548953026_thumb.jpgpost-19421-0-42071000-1548953046_thumb.jpgpost-19421-0-39723800-1548953077_thumb.jpgpost-19421-0-73653200-1548953105_thumb.jpg

My uncle passed away last year, my aunt gave his knife collection to my parents who don't want them. Any idea what to do with them? Are knives worth anything?