What to eat?

I've been trying out the Marathon Fuel from singletrackfuel.com and I find it fantastic.

No need to eat, finished Hakahana on a bottle & half and 94.7 on one bottle.

If you want to know more send a pm to vinny on the hub.

PS: I paid for my product.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying out the Marathon Fuel from singletrackfuel.com and I find it fantastic.

No need to eat, finished Hakahana on a bottle & half and 94.7 on one bottle.

If you want to know more send a pm to vinny on the hub.

PS: I paid for my product.

I think it's still highly advisable to actually eat something during a long cycle.

DONT'S

Avoid fibre for breakfast.

Avoid too much coffee - makes you pee-pee.

Minimise dairy.

DO'S

Futurelife

Real food on the ride, e.g. bananas, peanut butter sandwich (without crust), baby potatoes.

Drink - 32gi and water.

Eat a good meal the night before to fill up those fuel reserves.

Riding without lots if coffee is like having sex by yourself. Just not quite satisfying.

I have a small banana every hour starting from the 30-min mark. I grab some sweets and energy drink at the water tables.

I have water in the Camelbak and Game in the bottle.

I have a bowl of cereal before I leave home and some sandwiches in the car on the way to the race.

Hey Guys,

So, I'm getting to the point where I'm beginning to spend a lot more time on the bike than before. Where I used to ride for between 1 and 2,5 hours, I'm now trying to put in more distance and riding for 2,5 hours plus.

Thing is, when I get get to 2,5 hours I feel like I could eat a buffalo, and then it feels like my legs are made of jelly and I struggle to peddle.

I usually eat a banana before a ride, and take water and Fast Fuel during my ride, I mostly drink the water and end up finishing the ride with 1/2 bottle of Fast Fuel left.

Please could you guys advise me on what to eat on longer rides, Jungle Oats Bars? Snackers? Sandwiches? USN bars? Nuts etc. And should I be eating more before I go out on long rides.

Also, I'm muslim, so lets keep this alcohol and pork free :P

Woolies protein bars

Its rather , "what not to eat?" If somethings good for you, have it, if its bad for you, even with all the stuff thats good for you its gonna affect your performance. Are you sure you're not battling intolerance. Future life may work for many, won';t work for me, has gluten in, same with milk if you are lactose intolerant, and nuts...ETC My 10c

USN energy cycling bars are the best! i eat 1 every 1.5 - 1 hrs while riding keeps them energy levels up throughout the ride and legs feel great after ride aswell. You can buy a box at Discem for R125 for 20 bars, well thats what i do thumbup1.gif

Edited by Scron

Riding without lots if coffee is like having sex by yourself. Just not quite satisfying.

:-D

Switched to Hammer Perpeteum just in time for my 1st Double Century.

From 32gi.

Good move as I've been looking for that race fuel that would improve my feeling during race time.

From 32gi.

Good move as I've been looking for that race fuel that would improve my feeling during race time.

Also use Hammer Perpeteum. Apart from what you said and the advantages of Hammer, I love the cafe latte flavor as in general I don't drink cool drinks and therefore I don't like the taste of anything int the range of orange, berry or lime smile.png

Also use Hammer Perpeteum. Apart from what you said and the advantages of Hammer, I love the cafe latte flavor as in general I don't drink cool drinks and therefore I don't like the taste of anything int the range of orange, berry or lime smile.png

I use 'caffe latte' too.

It's awesome.

Guest Frail4Life

<p>

From 32gi.

My 2c.Neither for me.But then I know I am Harsh.

Edited by F_R_A_I_L

I ride 3 plus hours intense riding 5 days a week. Always start with a berry smoothie: Bulgarian yogurt, papaya, fresh strawberries and frozen berries NO honey.

Those energy bars are so crammed with preservatives, hydrogenated fats and are usually very high energy, same for most of the "energy" drinks. Unless you've got your weight way down keep the energy drinks for racing you're better off burning the calories. I find I tend to bonk if I don't eat something around two hours, so I usually bring an apple and a handful of unsalted almonds and enjoy the view.

Bananas aren't a good idea as they're extremely high GI for fruit. Apple is a much better slow release option and they fair better in the camelbak

As a dietitian and a cyclist...

DONT'S

Avoid fibre for breakfast - Yes! high carb low fat options with small amounts of protein; if you can choose a lower GI option that will be ideal - Pronutro is a good option

Avoid too much coffee for breakfast - makes you pee-pee. slightly dehydrates you - and makes you run to the loo for other reasons as well!

DO'S

Futurelife.... Pronutro is a good option - good protein / carb ratio and low GI.....

Real food on the ride, e.g. bananas, peanut butter sandwich (without crust), baby potatoes.

Lots of good options mentioned in the previous posts - dates are great (sugar and magnesium); banana's also good (you need the instant energy on the bike); marmite sandwiches on lower fibre bread; hot cross buns;

Woollies Low GI bars...or Cranberry and Almond bar

Drink - 32gi and water. You need instant energy on the ride - and at least 50 g carbs every hour that’s immediately available for your muscles to use - a combination of maltodextrin / glucose polymer + sucrose + fructose is good. This is what the research says. And its been tried and tested by lots of cyclists...

water and rehydrate - water without electrolytes is dangerous! can lead to over hydration!

Eat a good meal the night before to fill up those fuel reserves. For sure - but not so heavy that you cant stomach breakfast

And then dont forget Recovery - you need a protein source that is easy to digest and absorbs instantly - your gut doesnt work optimally after a long, hard ride.

PeptoPro is great - mix with a carb drink (1g per kg body weight) - or use PeptoSport.

(sorry - no way I can’t use brand name here! It’s like marmite - one of a kind)

Then have your chocolate milk! :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a dietitian and a cyclist...

DONT'S

Avoid fibre for breakfast - Yes! high carb low fat options with small amounts of protein; if you can choose a lower GI option that will be ideal - Pronutro is a good option

Avoid too much coffee for breakfast - makes you pee-pee. slightly dehydrates you - and makes you run to the loo for other reasons as well!

DO'S

Futurelife.... Pronutro is a good option - good protein / carb ratio and low GI.....

Lots of good options mentioned in the previous posts - dates are great (sugar and magnesium); banana's also good (you need the instant energy on the bike); marmite sandwiches on lower fibre bread; hot cross buns;

Woollies Low GI bars...or Cranberry and Almond bar

Drink - 32gi and water. You need instant energy on the ride - and at least 50 g carbs every hour that’s immediately available for your muscles to use - a combination of maltodextrin / glucose polymer + sucrose + fructose is good. This is what the research says. And its been tried and tested by lots of cyclists...

water and rehydrate - water without electrolytes is dangerous! can lead to over hydration!

Eat a good meal the night before to fill up those fuel reserves. For sure - but not so heavy that you cant stomach breakfast

And then dont forget Recovery - you need a protein source that is easy to digest and absorbs instantly - your gut doesnt work optimally after a long, hard ride.

PeptoPro is great - mix with a carb drink (1g per kg body weight) - or use PeptoSport.

(sorry - no way I can’t use brand name here! It’s like marmite - one of a kind)

Then have your chocolate milk! smile.png

Thanks I have bought my peptosport , my Low GI bars from Woolies, and pronutro and going to give your advise a go.