Cape Town kick starts Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge

Matt

MTN-Qhubeka, Team Bonitas and Tasol GT, who amongst them boast the top riders of the country, have signed up for the Cape event, taking the series into the realm of serious competition. This will be the first time that the big three teams will be at the race and this should provide for some intensive racing.

In the past, local team Daiken GU, have always taken the challenge to the riders from up country; and it is likely that this will be the case again. Maties have also fielded a team and can be expected to try to upset the applecart.

In 2011, it was Daiken GU’s David Garret who took the race to the Bonitas riders, when he attacked on the climb to Riebeek Kasteel. Bonitas closed him down at the top of the climb and from there proceeded to set the pace with Garret the solitary challenger to the Bonitas riders. Former Cape Townian, Luthando Kaka clinched a “home” victory for Team Bonitas.

Expect 2012 to be very different, as Team Bonitas will also have MTN-Qhubeka and Team Tasol GT to contend with. The race, a 94km circular route starting and finishing at Nelson’s Creek Wine Estate just outside Wellington, introduces a new element in 2012. In addition to the individual title and prize money, the EDCC has introduced an overall series winner to the mix. The series will move to PE on the 21 October with the final in Durban on 11 November.

Winning in Wellington will mean that the rest of the riders will need to “play catch up”, which adds to the intensity expected at the first race.

The race on the 7 October is not only for the elite and those who are only getting into the sport can choose between a 28km short route and 44km medium route. For the off-roaders, there is also the Mountain bike race the day before (6 October) which also allows for elite/fit, medium pacers and novices over distances of 60km, 30km and 18km.

South Africa’s leading energy company will also once again donate 50% of all the entry fees of the Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge to the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital Burn’s Unit. Last year Engen raised over R 100,000 across its three EDCC events (PE, Durban and Cape Town) and hopes to exceed the amount this year.

Enter now and don’t miss out on the Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge- love riding it!!

Click here to view the article

Had a chat to race organisers as I could not find any info about pre-race registration. Cyclelab Westlake will have registrations from 12h00 on Thursday and then again at CWC on Friday from 12h00. Hope the weather holds. Saw predictions of light rain late morning, on Sunday for the Wellington area.

Did the 60(66)km mtb ride this morning. Well organised and well marked but not exactly an exciting route but it sure was fast!

Question to the organisers: why no prizes / prize money on the mtb event if the entry fees are the same as the road event?