Swan song for Stander at 2012 Cycle Challenge

Matt

From next year Stander, who is a past winner of the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge, will compete virtually only in mountain-bike races. Her goal is to represent South Africa at the 2014 UCI World Marathon Mountain Bike Championship in Pietermaritzburg.

“I am not saying that I will never compete in road cycling events at all, but after not being selected for the women’s road cycling team that competed at the Olympic Games in London, and also because of the atmosphere at the World Road Championship in the Netherlands, I think it will be a good idea for me to focus on something else for a while.

“I really had enough of all the internal politics of South African cycling. If circumstances should change over the next few years, I might consider a come-back to road cycling. But for now I will only compete in the odd local road race and, when I am overseas and an opportunity should arise, I might compete in a criterium.”

ccs-2-0-91847700-1349789008.jpg

In 2010 Stander made South African cycling history by winning both the Momentum 94.7 Mountain Bike Challenge as well as the Momentum 94.7 Cycle .Last year she was second overall in the Cycle Challenge.

Unfortunately she will not be able to compete in both the Cycle Challenge & Mountain Bike Challenge this year, because the Mountain Bike Challenge will take place on 11 November and the Cycle Challenge on 18 November. I fully understand why the organizers decided to have the races on two different weekends. Not everybody likes to race on two consecutive days, but I personally prefer it. For me the mountain bike event is a good warm-up for the next day’s road race.”

Cherise hopes to achieve victory in the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge, because it would be a fitting way to end the season. “The Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge is one of the most special events on the local cycling calendar and there is great prestige involved for whoever wins.”

This year there are also personal reasons why Stander wants to win. But talking about winning the Cycle Challenge and actually winning, are two completely different matters. “In women’s cycling this is one of the most difficult races to win, because it is so unpredictable and also because the racing is so hard.”

Stander tips Lisé Olivier and An-Li Pretorius (MTN-Qhubeka) as the two riders who can upset her plans.

For more information on the race visit www.cyclechallenge.co.za

Click here to view the article

Its amazing how politics in sport can screw up our local talent. I am not detracting from the other riders that we have but Cherise can hold her own on most occasions and has proven her ability to do so.

Its amazing how politics in sport can screw up our local talent. I am not detracting from the other riders that we have but Cherise can hold her own on most occasions and has proven her ability to do so.

100% agreed, but at that level she should not throw her toys out the cot....

She's a great talent, sometimes its better just to let the legs do the talking!

It is so sad that such a good road rider has decided to concentrate on mountain biking mostly because of politics and immoral selections -- good for MTB though.

100% agreed, but at that level she should not throw her toys out the cot....

She's a great talent, sometimes its better just to let the legs do the talking!

yeah, but when you own teammates and management are making life difficult and you are not getting the support you deserve then it is time to move to a sport where your legs can do the talking without the help of teammates and selectors who refuse to do the right thing ...

yeah, but when you own teammates and management are making life difficult and you are not getting the support you deserve then it is time to move to a sport where your legs can do the talking without the help of teammates and selectors who refuse to do the right thing ...

agree 1000%. Her legs did the talking all along - but some did not want to hear. She's good enough t make it in MTB then so why not.

I reckon this is out of the pot and into the fire - road and mtb both fall under CSA so she will encounter the same crapola in mtb that she did in road.

TSA is pretty much the same.

Pretty much like most government departments - pockets of excellence with the majority being self serving wee Mugabes with too much ego and not enough common sense.

Hit the nail on the head!! One would have thought that if they had any interest in growing the sport and brining in new talent they would have learnt from that episode!

Unfortunately they speak their mind and normally it makes sense....which does not go down with the dinosours that seem to frequent the halls of power in cycling.

This one was not totally lost and still graces our events

post-523-0-03106400-1349791501_thumb.jpg

Mixed champs in a not-too-distant edition of the Epic...?

Not sure what the difference is in prize money.

I wonder if Cherise will be a Specialized rider?

Not sure what the difference is in prize money.

Now that is a good question.

Looks like El Berto took her cue?

http://yfrog.com/scaled/landing/876/n2rvm.jpg

I hope it works out for her. The mtb scene might be more suited to her style, but it would be a pity is she if slipping up with her roadie career.