Advice needed: slipped disc in back (prolapsed disc)

Went for an MRI scan yesterday and found quite a severe slipped disc in the lower back between L4 & L5 pressing hard on the nerve.

Seeing the neurosurgeon today to discuss the way forward but the doc (GP) and radiologist wants me in hospital asap.

Anyone had a similar disc slip (causing severe pain and numbness from the buttock to the heel) and maybe some feedback on how it was fixed ie surgery/ traction or physio? How long did it keep you off the bike?

Would like to hear some of your experiences thanks.

Btw - the cause: incorrect bike setup over the past 6 months. I was 100% during the Epic earlier in the year (26er dual) and problems started only with the new bike after the Epic (29er hard tail). My own fault though cause I never had the proper setup transferred to the new bike until the gradual pain of the last 6 months now caused the disc slip.

From what I understand set up causes problems in the muscular system. It's unlikely that a healthy back will prolapse a disc just from set up. Are you sure there wasn't any other injury?

I had a disintegrated disc when I was 16 through a fairly common bone disease. Had the disc removed and took 4 months off school to recover. Back then orthopods and neuros didn't really believe much in physio which I now know was a real pity but I recovered well and started cycling seriously when I was 20. I have had to deal with a lot of muscle imbalances and stiff back muscles since then. My best move was going to a biokineticist combined with physio. That taught me a great deal about flexibility and how it can influence your riding and set up. Which exercises to do and how to stretch etc. I even studied up of the subject. These days I'm not riding too seriously, mainly MTB trail riding and just make sure the relevant muscles are strong and that i stretch properly after every ride.

That's quite severe for incorrect bike setup, just how bad was the setup?

When i eventually had the set up corrected by Spook from Erica Green, he made quite a lot of changes, albeit small changes. Ja well even I'm a bit unsure now as to what the cause was but it certainly started (the pain and discomfort) after I got the new bike, almost to the day. Since then it got worse until this weekend when it became unbearable and almost impossible to sit..

Had similar experience towards end of last year, cause of my mishap - wheelie that went wrong. Tried physio as 90% of disc prolapses starts correcting themselves with time witin 6-8 weeks. Mine was one of 10% that got worse.

Had op where neuro removed part of disc protusion. Did my exercises and was off bike for 10 weeks, caused me to miss out on this year's Sani2C. Back on bike but on somedays I feel that my back aint what it was before my mishap. Just need to manage it and keep on working on your exercises to strengthen back and stomach mussles.

Good luck

This time last year i also had a herniated disc from too much hard cycling 'Standing' running and carrying my 6 year old son down a mountainside .It took 6 weeks to the day to subside .Walking was the worst .Cycling was the most comfortable .Be brave and take the pain with the help of painkillers and fisio .I kept on cycling ,sitting only .It will get better with conservative treatment .Surgery only if you have neurological fallout in 2 months time .I still get a faint sciatic pain if i overdo standing cycling .Also your new hardtail can play a role and was just enough trauma to burst the disc .Consider DS bike

best docs to see are branca and steggamn, they in benoni accross the rd from glynwood, in glyn eden medical suites, best to consult them before op.

From what I understand set up causes problems in the muscular system. It's unlikely that a healthy back will prolapse a disc just from set up. Are you sure there wasn't any other injury?

I had a disintegrated disc when I was 16 through a fairly common bone disease. Had the disc removed and took 4 months off school to recover. Back then orthopods and neuros didn't really believe much in physio which I now know was a real pity but I recovered well and started cycling seriously when I was 20. I have had to deal with a lot of muscle imbalances and stiff back muscles since then. My best move was going to a biokineticist combined with physio. That taught me a great deal about flexibility and how it can influence your riding and set up. Which exercises to do and how to stretch etc. I even studied up of the subject. These days I'm not riding too seriously, mainly MTB trail riding and just make sure the relevant muscles are strong and that i stretch properly after every ride.

Thx for the feedback slick. No specific injury I know of.. I'm going for the surgery (discectomy) next week, and will be out for 2 months.. At least we can still ride

are you overweight firemeister?

I'm 1.83m and weigh 92kg, so no not really. Weighed 89 at Epic and felt good. Could probably loose 2-3kgs

This time last year i also had a herniated disc from too much hard cycling 'Standing' running and carrying my 6 year old son down a mountainside .It took 6 weeks to the day to subside .Walking was the worst .Cycling was the most comfortable .Be brave and take the pain with the help of painkillers and fisio .I kept on cycling ,sitting only .It will get better with conservative treatment .Surgery only if you have neurological fallout in 2 months time .I still get a faint sciatic pain if i overdo standing cycling .Also your new hardtail can play a role and was just enough trauma to burst the disc .Consider DS bike

What is neurological fallout? My pain is almost unbearable especially when I sit, doc says the prolapse is too severe to recover naturally and too much pressure on the nerve causing the pain and numbness in left leg and foot.

Had similar experience towards end of last year, cause of my mishap - wheelie that went wrong. Tried physio as 90% of disc prolapses starts correcting themselves with time witin 6-8 weeks. Mine was one of 10% that got worse.

Had op where neuro removed part of disc protusion. Did my exercises and was off bike for 10 weeks, caused me to miss out on this year's Sani2C. Back on bike but on somedays I feel that my back aint what it was before my mishap. Just need to manage it and keep on working on your exercises to strengthen back and stomach mussles.

Good luck

Thanks Ysterperd. Mine is also a case of surgery unavoidable..

I have had two spinal fusions, one lumbar (like you lower back) and one cervical (neck) so I know exactly what you are going through. The pain is excruciating and got so bad I could not even depress the clutch pedal on my car.

Only your neuro can say what needs to be done, every case is different, but I had a fusion on to levels in my back and one level in my neck and the relief is instantaneous. The recovery however is slow, I was in a back brace for about 6 weeks and was not allowed to sit at all, only lie down or stand, then there was about another 6 weeks just getting my strength back before I could do anything like lift even the smallest weight or ride a bike, or run or anything. Probably in all I was in rehabilitation for around 5/6 months.

However, the good news is these operations have a good success rate and I am 100% healed, I run, I cycle, I gym, I hike, I have absolutely no pain or issues from the surgery, plus I walk very upright due to the fusion. :lol:

In the end all I can say is, listen to your neurosurgeon, and not internet advice, if he says do this or that, then thats what you need to do, I am sure if you follow his advice you will make a 100% recovery. Good luck and let us know.

I had the same thing when I was 17 years old- tore my L5/S1 disc while playing squash. It was a couple of months later (of no exercise etc.) before I was eventually referred to a neurosurgeon. I had the surgery, 9 years ago now, and I've recovered 100%. I don't have any pain when running/ mountain biking etc. I find though, that playing squash does cause my back to ache.

This all happened before I started cycling, but cycling was the one activity the my doctor recommended would be good for me to do afterwards. I would imagine that it won't be too long before you're able to train- on the road or a trainer at least. I couldn't sit for a week afterwards and I struggled to sit for three hours during my exams, which were 2 months later.

I do believe that although surgery is frightening, it was the best (if not only) option for me. I can do everything now that I used to do before, whereas, if I hadn't had the surgery I wouldn't even be able to walk properly.

I have had 2 spinal fusions (lower back) so can talk from experience.In my case it took me a long time to recover.I cannot run at all these days and even walking for more than 10 minutes or so absolutely kills me.

I decided to eventually try cycling again and with the aid of very strong painkillers have done The Herald,Argus etc etc.Whilst it is great to be back on the bike (in fact I live for it),I simply cannot go at the speed that I was previously able to.As soon as there are hills to climb my back does not enjoy the extra pressure/effort.I would still not give up cycling for anything.

My advice is not to go into surgery too lightly BUT if you have tried all measures,including a 2nd opinion,surgery might be the answer.Many people have a 100 pc success rate but don't kid yourself,there are many that continue to battle.

I have suffered from chronic pain ever since my ops and finally am taking Lyrica which apparantly blocks the "message" that your nerve ends send to the brain.There is no doubt it has helped but certainly has not taken it completely away.

You might not require a fusion,so heed your Neurosurgeon's advice,you cannot live in that pain forever.

Good luck

As an alternative to explore before going for surgery, I would suggest prolotherapy. I had treatment for knee problems and found it to be very effective and helpful. I just wish I had heard of it and tried it before I went for surgery. I know that he has successfully treated people with severe back issues, many of whom no neurosurgeon has had any luck with.

Dr Bell in Parys is one of the experts in the field worldwide. He's a very good guy and he won't treat you if he doesn't think he may be able to help, so he won't waste your time and money.

I'm not saying you won't need to go for surgery in the end, but you have nothing to lose by investigating this far less invasive, yet little known intervention beforehand. And even in cases where surgery is necessary, prolotherapy can help with recovery and regeneration in the post operative period as it supports and enhances the natural recovery processes.