69er

RexFuzzle

So I've heard rumours and seen a few pics, but never heard anybody who rides one's opinion, if there is anybody that actually rides one?

I have the space and fork to fit a big wheel up front but want to know if it is worth it...

Trek made a bike and they called it '69. Open to correction here but I think the UCI/CSA rules state that the front and rear wheels must be the same size.

what impact would it have on the geometry and why would you want to ?

Trek made a bike and they called it '69. Open to correction here but I think the UCI/CSA rules state that the front and rear wheels must be the same size.

what impact would it have on the geometry and why would you want to ?

impact on the geo - quite a bit.

As for why you would want to - in order to give the front the properties of a niner wheel (easier to navigate obstacles & the way that it handles square edges) whilst still having Long Travel ability at the back.

It helps if it looks good, which in this case it didn't.

So I've heard rumours and seen a few pics, but never heard anybody who rides one's opinion, if there is anybody that actually rides one?

I have the space and fork to fit a big wheel up front but want to know if it is worth it...

Flowta used to have one ... drop him a PM

Never had a bike fitted, so don't care much about changes to the geometry. As for rules, I don't do races so they don't apply.

Why I would want to is as cptmayhem said, but also less energy needed to change the speed of the back wheel, whilst having the roll-over advantages of the big front.

I have 2 Trek 69ers and I am busy building a third one (dual susser).

My one is a single speed with a carbon rigid fork and the other has a Fox 29er. I ride competitively in xco races and truly believe that it is a great concept. You have a 29er wheel for obstacles and it rolls well, with a 26er at the back - and a smaller wheel will always accelerate faster than a bigger wheel.

The Trek 69er frame was designed with the correct geometry for this setup, so the head angles, etc have been optimised for excellent handling - and the handling is superb on that frame.

I have checked with the SA mtb commissionaire about the different wheel sizes to ride in xco on a National level and they approved it, apparently the rule about different wheel sizes is more pertaining to track cycling.

hi

i ve done the conversion on my VIDA 1 ... its awesome , steers like a train on a track . climbs like a cat up a tree, handles loose thick sand better than a 26er. really enjoy this bike. You do get a few strange looks from other cyclists

post-16227-0-32450000-1350037973_thumb.jpg