wines2whales transport

markgc

Anyone have suggestions for best way to get my bike down to CT from JHB. I'm flying down, never put a bike on a plane, not sure if secure or not??

The Planes have roof racks. You just have to wrap your bike in cling wrap because it picks up lots of bug juice at those speeds. That way it is a doddle to clean when you collect it after the flight.

Talk to your lbs and ask them for a bike box (that new bikes come in) All you then have to do is take the wheels off and turn the bars flat before packing it, Put some bubble wrap around vulnerable things and where bits may rub. Check the airlines rules for flying with bikes beforehand so you won't get a nasty surprise. Check it in as you would any luggage and pay whatever extra money your airline wants. Moan and bitch to make sure it goes on the same flight with you and not a later one. It'll fly in the hold of course ;) Assemble the bike and take it for a test ride to make sure all is 100%.

A well packed bike will not get damaged easily and it is too awkward a thing to steal, I reckon it is safe to fly with it. The main concern is them sending it somewhere else or flying it later if they are too full. If you have time on the other end before the race starts, that is not too serious, but if you miss the start because your bike is still in transit, it is a big issue.

You doing the Race or the Adventure ?